Winter Sun

Ziggy

Canary Islands is probably the obvious suggestion for January sunshine - we went to Lanzarote in January this year - temperatures were around 22-25'c although evenings cooled off a bit so needed long sleeves once the sun went down
We had a couple of days where it was quite breezy, still warm but the breeze was a pain in the hoop - and the sea quite rough if you're a beach person
Hotel swimming pools were also a bit nippy at that time of year, apart from the heated pool obviously

This year we are heading to The Gambia over new year. Price wise it's pretty much the same as going to Lanzarote. An extra 2 hours flying time though. But you can get flights from Manchester.
Temperatures around that time average around 30'c and they say you're pretty much guaranteed sunshine

36 minutes ago, thejailender said:

Canary Islands is probably the obvious suggestion for January sunshine - we went to Lanzarote in January this year - temperatures were around 22-25'c although evenings cooled off a bit so needed long sleeves once the sun went down
We had a couple of days where it was quite breezy, still warm but the breeze was a pain in the hoop - and the sea quite rough if you're a beach person
Hotel swimming pools were also a bit nippy at that time of year, apart from the heated pool obviously

This year we are heading to The Gambia over new year. Price wise it's pretty much the same as going to Lanzarote. An extra 2 hours flying time though. But you can get flights from Manchester.
Temperatures around that time average around 30'c and they say you're pretty much guaranteed sunshine

I went to Tenerife in January a few years back and the weather was good but is that always guaranteed?

I've been considering The Gambia as well, someone I work with went and recommended it.

Punta Cana is a good shout, there are direct flights from Manchester and it's decently priced most of the time.  Cuba is decently priced with the added bonus of no Americans, the people are really friendly there and as long as you can get around some of the islands peculiar laws (communism = bureaucracy) then it's really nice with excellent beaches.  Also has direct flights from Mancehster

Punta Cana is a good shout, there are direct flights from Manchester and it's decently priced most of the time.  Cuba is decently priced with the added bonus of no Americans, the people are really friendly there and as long as you can get around some of the islands peculiar laws (communism = bureaucracy) then it's really nice with excellent beaches.  Also has direct flights from Mancehster

I fancy Cuba but the scran is meant to be awful which puts me off.

Guest Moomintroll
On 18/10/2017 at 18:56, keithgy said:

We only went to Coco Bongos.

@keithgy is the overcrowding as bad as the TA reviews suggest there? Bought tickets in advance in the Gold area but having visions of needing to pish in a glass cos getting to toilet will be a forlorn hope.

8 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

scran?  Not familiar with that term.  

edit: According to google that means food.  It isn't too bad if you go to a 4* or higher resort, it can be a bit saltier than other places due to trade embargo but for the most part I have found it to be good, especially if you go with fish or seafood.  Beef tends to be really salty and low quality but other meats and vegetables are decent if you are at a good hotel

edit: According to google that means food.  It isn't too bad if you go to a 4* or higher resort, it can be a bit saltier than other places due to trade embargo but for the most part I have found it to be good, especially if you go with fish or seafood.  Beef tends to be really salty and low quality but other meats and vegetables are decent if you are at a good hotel

Food [emoji106]

8 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Massively improved since the days of bowls of beans and gravel.

3 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Food.

@keithgy is the overcrowding as bad as the TA reviews suggest there? Bought tickets in advance in the Gold area but having visions of needing to pish in a glass cos getting to toilet will be a forlorn hope.

It was absolute crap in my opinion. Suppose if you go to cancun it’s expected you should go but it was mobbed, roasting, murder to get a drink and when I got them it was watered down dross.

I never went back any other times I’ve been to Mexico.

City is supposed to be well better.

20 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Massively improved since the days of bowls of beans and gravel.

Food.

Agreed, I've been three times in the last 6 years and stayed at 4 star resorts each time and ate well.   I went to Varadaro each time and the biggest problem for me is the airport, it's small and shite, plus a combination of beurocracy and everything running on island time means that you spend a lot of time queuing.  There is a hack though, if you buy your way into the "VIP lounge" then you get express access through the various queues you have to go through.  Was 30 CUC (equivalent to 30 USD) per person 2 years ago and it was well worth it

6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Yes it is very busy,we only went for 3 hours with a Thomson bar crawl and that was enough.We were on a 2nd floor balcony and looking down onto the main floor made us glad  that we did not go to the full shop.

Saying that the acts were excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived