The Tennents Lager Appreciation Society

Tennents is my first pint refreshment go-to pint of choice. Perhaps bland in comparison to so-called real ales or better beers, but it just has that refreshing 'aaahhhh' factor that the others simply cannot rival, regardless of any superior taste.

On the subject of foreigners from countries renowned for their beer trying Tennent's, my girlfriend at the time's Czech father paid us a visit and he asked for a beer when we ordering a meal. The waitress rattled off a list of the usual suspects and since he didn't speak English, I opted to get him a Tennent's. 

He drank it without complaint or incident, but at the same time, didn't ask for another or wax lyrical about his life being meaningless until he tried Tennent's. 

So I can only assume that he, like many others, was indifferent to it. 

I like trying different beers. I love real ales, looked after properly by decent publicans, and I enjoy trips to breweries and beer shops, to buy selections of new (to me) beers.

However, I would sooner buy a pint of Tennents than a whole host of other basic lagers that idiots get excited by - mainly down to marketing and an erroneous (and indicative of a tinky upbringing) confusion that a pricepoint = quality.

Remember Baltika? Every try-hard was buying that for two years until it became obvious it was another emperor's new clothes pisswater. Peroniand Moretti are fine. But they are Italian Tennents. And priced as such in Italy.
Carling, Fosters, XXXX, Carlsberg, Tuborg, etc. All shite.
"Brewed in the UK" crap. San Miguel, Staropramen, Stella, Kronenberg etc. You may as well buy a different beer. It doesn't taste the same as it does in Czech, Spain, etc.

A cold pint of Tennents is honest and refreshing. And at a relatively low ABV is ideal for a long day out.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Of you are on a 6-10 pint scoop I would love to hear what people are putting forward as alternative lagers.

It wouldn't be in my top 30 beers but in its class it is the one.

Absolutely, as I said earlier in thread if you're out for a day on the lash, Tennents is the one.  You can scoop it all day and have a decent time, I couldn't imagine the nick I would be in if I had ten pints of something around 5.1% when out.