The Tennents Lager Appreciation Society

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Tennent's is an anachronism from the days when the only decision to be made when buying a pint was lager or 'beer' ('heavy' in the west and 'special' in the east).   It's definitely the Austin Allegro of the beer world.

Don't forget light. When I went on my beer voyage of discovery I revisited all the beers I had rejected, Tartan Special, McEntire 60, 80s etc. They were all still pish churned out the same way since long before there was a real choice.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Don't forget light. When I went on my beer voyage of discovery I revisited all the beers I had rejected, Tartan Special, McEntire 60, 80s etc. They were all still pish churned out the same way since long before there was a real choice.

When I started work in Burnbank in 1977 you could still buy light on draught.  Does anyone still brew it?  Did you include Sweetheart Stout and Wee Heavy in your trip down memory lane?

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

When I started work in Burnbank in 1977 you could still buy light on draught.  Does anyone still brew it?  Did you include Sweetheart Stout and Wee Heavy in your trip down memory lane?

You can still get light in a lot of places. I had Sweetheart Stout, very watery. Haven't seen Wee Heavy, but I think I've established a trend. It might be safe to say Scots are genetically programmed to go for bland, sweet stuff.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I was at a party in Sweden with a bunch of Germans a couple of weeks ago. I got some of them to try Tennants and they loved it.
I will admit that Bitburger is a lovely beer though, had a good few of those in Dusseldorf not long ago.

1937 was it? Look what happened.

I used to always drink tennents, could never get my head around it when people said it was howling. Then I gradually just moved onto other lagers over the years. Must not have had a can in a few years and tried to go back to it and it was absolutely barking.

If it’s draught and Ice cold then it’s alright- does the job.