The Tennents Lager Appreciation Society

It is without doubt the best non premium lager there is by an absolute country mile. It pisses all over fosters, carling, Carlsberg, Heineken, Bud, Amstel.

If im going out for just a few pints it'll always be Tennents I would choose over anything on tap.

It's cheap, Scottish, and they've just released a "limited edition" version with Jack and Victor on the cans. But as far as taste goes, it barely passes muster. 

Just for the record, my favourite lager the now (that it is commonly available) is Estrella. 

As far as your average lagers go, it's up there. I much prefer Grolsch and Heineken but Tennents is always there as my trusty back-up if they've got something shite on tap such as Coors instead.

Tennents is ace. Anyone who goes to a pub wanting a lager with notes, hints, body etc frankly deserves to be taken down an alley and taught a severe lesson by big Terry the bouncer. It's fine to dislike it but it shouldn't be mocked or sneered at. People get so swayed by marketing and end up drinking utter pish with a fancy label as they think it reflect well on them. 

I was forced to change from lager after being ill. I just couldn't face it. I took advice in a microbrewery and got started on beer from there. I like American style IPA now, but will try virtually anything. Once you actually get your taste buds back, bog standard lager is very bland. Since then Hop House, Heverlee, Schiehalion have come out and are actually nice to drink.

Standard pub ones aren't much cop.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

18 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

The best lager available at the moment is Birra Moretti though. Not seen that on tap anywhere, but it's fantastic.

Last time I was home I had a few pints of Moretti somewhere in the Merchant City. Was far more expensive than any lager really should be in Glasgow, and not that much better than it justified the £1.50 odds a pint difference between that and Tennents.

Tennents Lager is essentially the Scotland National Team - it isn't great, there could be a lot done to improve it and only occasionally does it really get the job done. 

And yet, there we were all drinking it in on Sunday night. Just couldn’t help ourselves. Sooner you admit it to yourself the better. Aye, it’s maybe no the best but by f**k it’s ours!