Anyone had a new terracing cover or shed built recently?

Kinky Afro

22 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

The photo looks better than it sounded, however, having been involved with regeneration and building projects since the late 80s I would be astonished if that passed any local authority scrutiny. 

Any houses are a good few hundred yards away, the ground backs on to commercial property. There wouldn't be much loss of amenity.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Any houses are a good few hundred yards away, the ground backs on to commercial property. There wouldn't be much loss of amenity.

Perhaps, but there is still safety legislation, H&S and building warrants. Plenty of spectating arenas in the past ignored this, bit harder to do that now. 

I know talbot had to jump over more hurdles than a racehorse with the stand but surely a simple shed as long as its structurally sound wont be that bad. Iirc you only need a safety certificate for stands seating more than 500 and any new structure cannot be timber based

The AWR wooden enclosures were a simple solution to providing additional cover.  Interestingly Dover Athletic of the National League in England built a 500 seat stand using  engineered lumber that apparently is as good as steel.

There are two companies that have  supplied prefabricated stands with or without seats to hundreds of non - league clubs in England and a few in Scotland.

Stadium Solutions (part of PJ Steel Group) - https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/products/.

Arena Sports Stands (Part of the Arena Group) - http://arenaseating.com/products/

These are all steel structures at their simplest with integral steel terracing steps from 4 - 13 rows and only require a concrete foundation to be laid.  Stadium make either standing or seated stands of either 4 or 6 rows.  The stand at Renfrew is one of their's as are the turnstiles.  The small seated stand at Easthouses Lily could be one of theirs as well.

The Arena stands come in 4 - 13 steps and are mainly for seated stands but can be supplied without seats.  Annan Athletic's stand is one of their's.

The AWR wooden enclosures were a simple solution to providing additional cover.  Interestingly Dover Athletic of the National League in England built a 500 seat stand using  engineered lumber that apparently is as good as steel.

There are two companies that have  supplied prefabricated stands with or without seats to hundreds of non - league clubs in England and a few in Scotland.

Stadium Solutions (part of PJ Steel Group) - https://www.stadiumsolutions.co.uk/products/.

Arena Sports Stands (Part of the Arena Group) - http://arenaseating.com/products/

These are all steel structures at their simplest with integral steel terracing steps from 4 - 13 rows and only require a concrete foundation to be laid.  Stadium make either standing or seated stands of either 4 or 6 rows.  The stand at Renfrew is one of their's as are the turnstiles.  The small seated stand at Easthouses Lily could be one of theirs as well.

The Arena stands come in 4 - 13 steps and are mainly for seated stands but can be supplied without seats.  Annan Athletic's stand is one of their's.

I’ve been in touch with both of these companies and asked for info. If we decide on anything I am certain it will be ran past the council planning folk first. The area it is potentially going is beside the main Royston Road and is a wind tunnel currently. Can’t have bits flying into the road or onto the pitch. Whatever we do (or if we do something) will be safe and compliant.

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments so far folks. Much appreciated.

P[emoji460]️[emoji106]

16 hours ago, wintonfan said:

I know talbot had to jump over more hurdles than a racehorse with the stand but surely a simple shed as long as its structurally sound wont be that bad. Iirc you only need a safety certificate for stands seating more than 500 and any new structure cannot be timber based

Yes you are right, any covered structure that holds over 500 has to be licenced, renewed annually, even cover with no seats. Talbot's new enclosure did not need planning permission, but only because it was replacing an enclosure that had already been in place all be it some time ago, we did need a building warrant and had to submit plans. The stand was a complete nightmare as the safety legislation kept changing adding to the cost as we built it. A common misconception is that you can put up almost anything  due to structures seen in other grounds. Structures that have been there for many years tend to be left alone, however any new structure that isn't replacing pre-existing stuff will be treated with utmost scrutiny by the local authority. Risking not informing them is a gamble that could backfire big style.  If something should happen in the ground resulting in injury and it was found there is an non compliant  structure that has no permission, well, doesn't bare thinking about.

Yes you are right, any covered structure that holds over 500 has to be licenced, renewed annually, even cover with no seats. Talbot's new enclosure did not need planning permission, but only because it was replacing an enclosure that had already been in place all be it some time ago, we did need a building warrant and had to submit plans. The stand was a complete nightmare as the safety legislation kept changing adding to the cost as we built it. A common misconception is that you can put up almost anything  due to structures seen in other grounds. Structures that have been there for many years tend to be left alone, however any new structure that isn't replacing pre-existing stuff will be treated with utmost scrutiny by the local authority. Risking not informing them is a gamble that could backfire big style.  If something should happen in the ground resulting in injury and it was found there is an non compliant  structure that has no permission, well, doesn't bare thinking about.

I had a meeting today with a lad recommended on here and we both agreed anything would have to be passed by the relevant council safety and planning people. We don’t want a hobbled project and this will be done right or not at all. We are trying to improve the ground and to me the aesthetic nature of this cover is a high priority. It will add to the ground visually and show a commitment by the club to improve facilities. We are trying at St Rochs! Some say very trying....

8 hours ago, Isabel Goudie said:

Need to correct Ms Goudie. The new enclosure needed both planning permission and a building warrant. It didn't matter that it was replacing a pre-existing structure. 

On 10/12/2017 at 19:09, theesel1994 said:

Could always ask Tesco for a trolley park.

tesco.jpg

The most out-there cover solution  I've seen in the Juniors was at Coupar Angus' Foxhall Park where they used some old perspex bus shelters...don't know if they're still there, but I remember doing a double-take when I walked in the park and saw them. this is the only photo I can find showing them in all their glory...

4025132_orig.jpg

10 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The most out-there cover solution  I've seen in the Juniors was at Coupar Angus' Foxhall Park where they used some old perspex bus shelters...don't know if they're still there, but I remember doing a double-take when I walked in the park and saw them. this is the only photo I can find showing them in all their glory...

4025132_orig.jpg

Didn't Perthshire have a bus shelter behind the club side goals? You can't see it on non league Scotland.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Didn't Perthshire have a bus shelter behind the club side goals? You can't see it on non league Scotland.

Dunno - maybe briefly, all I remember there being before the new cover went in at the Shire was the lean-to at the club and a wee corrugated bit of cover on the left hand side as you walk in.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their input, advice, comments and leads. We have a detailed costed plan with indicative drawings and notional costings and now it is over to the committee to see what they want to do. If anyone needs something similar in the future I would have no hesitation in recommending Stevie Barclay at Aqua-Terra who has been absolutely fantastic. He also recognised me after all these years as an old Glasgow Schools’ team mate.... I know it will be my height and mug and not my ability he remembers! Thanks again folks. Cheers Stevie. [emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Archived