East Fife v Albion Rovers

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow ! Where do I start after that ? Defending was comical at times from both teams. I can see how Albion Rovers have scored so many goals this season - they looked pretty slick going forward and their midfielders were very quick to join the strikers. However, they looked really dodgy at the back, especially Perry and Marr. As the game wore on their keeper looked more and more nervous and ultimately cost them. Chant of the day has to go to the Rovers fans who sang ‘we can see you sneaking out’ when they went 4-2 up but when East Fife pulled it back they sang ‘ we can see you sneaking in !’

The introduction of Kevin Smith seems to be the turning point for East Fife. Taking Chris Duggan off did not go down too well with the home fans, many thinking it should have been the largely ineffective Greg Hurst who should have been replaced. Darren Young’s decision was justified in the best fashion with Greg getting two goals including the winner in the closing seconds. Scott Linton free-kick which produced the equaliser to make the score 4-4 was worth the admission money alone. Still not totally convinced by the manager but if anyone had offered us 15 points from the first quarter I’m sure we would have grabbed it with both hands. With Pagey suspended again next week, I really hope Craig Watson’s injury isn’t serious and we have him back for the Alloa game.  Hopefully we have a fully fit squad to choose from very soon and we can see the best of the squad.

Albion Rovers looked a decent side until the last 6-7 minutes when they fell apart. I wouldn’t have wanted to be in their changing room after the game as Stuart Malcolm and Brian Kerr looked absolutely furious at the end !

Well done  to Darren and the boys on a fantastic comeback. 8 goals in 8 games then 5 in one. Hopefully  we can kick on from this result and start hitting the target regularly and keep climbing the league.

I must admit that I was shouting for Darren Young's head when he substituted Chris Duggan. Based on performance until then, it should have been either Hurst or Flannagan who came off.

Having said that, Hurst to his credit raised his game when he was now playing through the middle as opposed to the left touchline. Perhaps for the future the manager should consider playing 4 4 2 with Duggan and Hurst playing a bit closer to one another. It was also pleasing to see Kevin Smith back.

Defensively EF were all over the shop, not helped by Watson having to come off.

A special mention to Pat Slattery who put in a herculean effort.

I thought that Albion Rovers looked very composed and assured when going forward. Unfortunately there appeared to be a lack of trust between centre halves and goalie which cost them the game.

Looking forward to Page and a fully fit Smith back in the team.

First quarter over - 15 points - onwards and upwards.

When we scored to make it 4-3 I knew we would get one more chance but never thought we would get two & take both of them!
I honestly did not believe we deserved to be 4-2 down but we can't keep giving away cheap goals!
Having watched it all back the winning goal was superb, Dunsmore interception, on to Docherty then Flanagan, back to Dunsmore, cross knocked back by Smith & finished by Hurst! Breathtaking!

Have to say I was really disappointed by the reaction of some of the fans when Duggan was substituted. The manager obviously had a change of plan in mind something he has not shied away from in games so far & had decided Chris had done his shift. No one should under estimate the effort Duggan expends in a game & had given everything again! Even if we had lost the game we would have still had 12 points from the first quarter. A decent return! We have rarely been able to field the same side two weeks running and have been without some of our main players for the majority of games. Fully fit Kevin Smith, Kyle Wilkie & Jonathan Page would be assets to ANY team in this league & we are almost there with that. Even yesterday we lost Craig Watson early & Mark Docherty was obviously playing thru the pain barrier! If we can get 12-15 points in the second quarter it will be a fantastic achievement! There really does need to be some grasp of reality!

The way some folk on here and at the games go on, you'd think we were in the bottom two rather than the top four. 15 points from the first quarter is a very decent return and if we did that 3 more times, we'd almost certainly get a play-off spot and finish higher than we have done in about 20 years.

19 hours ago, sammytroot said:

I thought that Albion Rovers looked very composed and assured when going forward. Unfortunately there appeared to be a lack of trust between centre halves and goalie which cost them the game.

Bingo!

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

The way some folk on here and at the games go on, you'd think we were in the bottom two rather than the top four. 15 points from the first quarter is a very decent return and if we did that 3 more times, we'd almost certainly get a play-off spot and finish higher than we have done in about 20 years.

As a neutral, the attitude of the East Fife support strikes me as bizarre. It was December 10 before you guys have 15 points last season - and you've had half a team missing for most of the first half of the season.

Bizarre is an understatement! Yes we have had a couple of heavy defeats but the negativity from some supporters completely baffles me! Everyone is entitled to voice their opinions but some the bile that is directed to individuals is disgusting & unwarranted!

Awesome highlights, very much enjoyed them but some of the defending was questionable.

Good to see Kev Smith back, a huge player for us. Very happy with 15 points from our opening quarter and like has been said if we can continue in that way 60 points will mean we aren’t too far away from the play-offs.

Archived