Terrible Jobs

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and my school chum took a Sunday job hand peeling garlic.
Hawns pure stinking after 5 hours of peeling and then the Indian guy boss said he wasn't paying us but bought us McDonalds instead.
Not even good McDonalds. 1 shitty cold cheeseburger each.

My school chum kicked over a tub of the garlic and we ran out.

40 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Nobody's doubting that someone can do it. They're doubting that you could do it.

Most of my jobs have involved carrying heavy stuff around. My attitude has always been if there's people available, share the load. Youngsters who tried to show off by carrying something heavy on their own for no reason invariably did their backs in. Mine is still fine. Balance is important, as is having the right strops and not being a dick.

1 hour ago, Finch road said:

Also

I worked removals for a good while and can confirm with the Airdrie fan that balance is everything. Have seen a guy taking a safe on his back

I worked with a guy that shouldered 3 hundredweight of cement on his shoulders no problem

Convoy driver at the roadworks for 16 weeks.   

Applied for the job because of the zany nature of the job.   Was bored after 1 day but I stuck it because I'm not a quitter and there's tremendous job satisfaction witnessing the construction of a new road.  

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Nobody's doubting that someone can do it. They're doubting that you could do it.

That would depend how big he is and how heavy the 3 seater is.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Worked in a sandwich factory. Production lines of folk just laying slices of bread on a conveyor belt or buttering bread all day. Other folks job was to stand and stick stickers on the packets all day or stamp dates on the labels.

Thankfully I worked in despatch and it was making up the orders and loading vans, folk I worked with were some laugh- some great characters. Terrible job but good learning experience in life.

Another crap job was a delivery driver- class two truck delivering large household appliances- couches, furniture, TVs etc. About 40-50 drops per day. Was knackering carrying that sort of stuff up closes and multiple flights of stairs all day fighting the clock. However the van boy I had- Wee Motherwell fan was a legend, great laugh just the two of us out all day. The job meant I was usually too tired to go to the gym, physically tired when I got home and wakened up sore to do it all again the next days. Ended up getting ridiculously adept at carrying washing machines on my own back and being able to balance 3 seater couches on my shoulder and carry them one handed.

that sound like money for nothing

59dbfdf58ec26_moneyfornothing.jpg.74adc0e41d1814b85688b8f4df4ed9b0.jpg

We used to dream of only carrying one couch. In my day up at half three carrried ten couches down pit filled them with coal and repeated it a thousand times before lunch. On Christmas Day we were allowed to sing jingle bells eating dead canaries. Good times.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Easy. Not good for the joints but it was far easier to deliver a washing machine individually on your back than to fanny about trying to manoeuvre it with 2 of you through doors or to get adequate parking in a busy town centre.

59dbfe7b50ef2_musicbox.jpg.03ef6d3dfab8ff17c60102193fb6edc9.jpg

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I imagine he's built like a bag of Quavers (cheese flavour).

Hold the phone. There are different flavours of Quavers?

Worst job I ever had was in 9th grade. My family moved to a new state halfway through the school year and I was signing up for which classes I should take. There was an option to work in the school kitchen for 2 hours in the middle of the day as a class. It paid $2.15 / hr. I knew my parents were going to make me find some type of work, and since I didn't know anyone yet I didn't think I'd mind missing lunch break my first semester. I was assigned to scrapping off the scraps of food and putting the used trays into a dishwasher. The kids put the trays through a window where I was standing. The senior lunch period generally consisted of people throwing their trays through the window in a way that would soak me with dirty lunch water while yelling words that would get me banned from this forum. 

Guest Moomintroll
Hold the phone. There are different flavours of Quavers?

Prawn Cocktail and Salt & Vinegar, used to get them in a multi pack with the Cheese flavour ones but haven't seen them in ages. Ruddy marvellous they were.

Archived