Terrible Jobs

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Worker 4 - I get scratches on my hand using that tool

Me - Wear the gloves you've been issued

Worker 4 - But then I can't get my pencil out of my pocket.

Me - You've got ears

Any more questions? No? See ya!

Suggesting to a worker that they could write with their ears is bad advice IMO.

Crappy temp office job in early 90's filing and doing mail with snooty little arsehole pension clerks that thought they were superior .  Only good thing was I used to skive off to the bogs to read, must have read two or three books a week in various bogs on the floors of this building in St Andrew Square , was quite  well read after a year of it.   

7 hours ago, Snifter Pee Rot said:

Crappy temp office job in early 90's filing and doing mail with snooty little arsehole pension clerks that thought they were superior .  Only good thing was I used to skive off to the bogs to read, must have read two or three books a week in various bogs on the floors of this building in St Andrew Square , was quite  well read after a year of it.   

razzle isn't technically a book

On 2/7/2019 at 13:06, MixuFixit said:

I managed about a week doing chugging which is just horrendous. My favourite was when I got about halfway through my spiel and the woman I had stopped said "that's enough. I used to do this job and just wanted to remind myself how much I hate it." and walked off. I'll normally stop for these guys if I'm out and about because they work in teams that have a supervisor chugger checking how good they are at that and even though I have no intention of giving them my bank details it gets them some breathing room if it looks like they can keep a conversation going. I tell them up front they're not getting money from me though.

You normally stop and have a conversation with these people? It's a nice enough sentiment, but I feel you need some more to occupy your time.

On 2/9/2019 at 02:44, Snifter Pee Rot said:

I had a job in the mid 2000s that was unbelievably boring and pointless. I was supposed to be project managing the installation and implementation of a new IT system. I had no experience in IT, but had transferred into this role from another department. The public sector is a joke.
Anyway, everything was going relatively well and needed no real intervention from me, so by midday on Monday I was bored and had nothing to do. I'd mess about on the internet obviously, but there's only so much of that you can do, and I was a little paranoid that people would see my screen always had BBC fans forum, or newspaper sites, or other shite on it. I would have brought in books to read, but it was an open plan office, and I didn't want to take the piss too much. Around this time torrent sites were booming and I realised that I could simply download .pdfs of whatever books I fancied, pop them on my mp3 player and print them at work. 
I would print book after book like this. Reams of paper wasted. People would walk by and I'd be reading a fairly long looking "report" at my desk. I would usually sigh theatrically as though annoyed every 30 minutes or so.

Working with computers, you become quite deft at the old ALT+TAB to quickly jump from whatever you're reading on the internet and back to something work-related. 

Of course, it became second-nature and one more than occasion, I instinctively ALT+TABBED even when I was doing work, and Pie and Bovril was emblazoned all over my screen. 

Skybet used to have a "BOSS IS COMING" button on its website which, when clicked, showed some spreadsheet. Mind you, any boss worth his or her salt would have spotted it as fake easily. 

As long as you do what is asked of you, in the time expected or stated, there really should be no issue with being online for anything non work related.

It's simply ridiculous to expect folk to be doing something work related for every single second you're at your desk in an office job.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

As long as you do what is asked of you, in the time expected or stated, there really should be no issue with being online for anything non work related.

It's simply ridiculous to expect folk to be doing something work related for every single second you're at your desk in an office job.

Correct. It actually makes me more productive (I’m lucky to be in an office alone) to take short breaks whenever I want to read P&B or something then go back to work. When I last worked in a big office where you couldn’t do that, I got far more tired and bored, far more often.

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Whilst I'm in agreement with you, some b*****d always spoils it for everyone else. 

Archived