The Brechin Bumpkins v The Greenock Galacticos, Saturday 14th October

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, MonEhTon said:

Tough to tell who’s slower out of those two. Oliver out wide instead?

God no. Think we tried that last season and he looked a fish out of water. We probably should’ve signed a winger!

Not the best we have been - defensively we were ok but offered nothing going forward. I think it time for a wee shuffle with some personnel. 

Connor looked like he was running off a fish supper and Jordan was far too deep.  I would be tempted to give Love  or Layne a go and freshen up the middle of midfield. Some players look comfortable and now maybe is the time to change some around.

Morton were not that great  - like a lot of full time teams I have seen it is all about possession without necessarily creating a great deal, across the back, down the sides, back out, across the back - repeat, repeat, repeat u till hopefully (due to boredom) there is a mistake which in this case there was but not very exciting to watch.

We go again but I would like to see a switch around with some personnel and formation shake up.

I'll get pelters for this from City fans but I thought we got outta game what we deserved. We were playing a team who were nothing startling at home .
Ok I get the stay in the game till half time scenario but not to register a shot on target in a home match is pitiful. The effort s there and i think if Mcgeever was still on Park we d ve got a draw . But c mon let's have a go and at least go down fighting . A lot of grumbles today amongst City fans . Rant over .

1 minute ago, CITY1974 said:

I'll get pelters for this from City fans but I thought we got outta game what we deserved. We were playing a team who were nothing startling at home .
Ok I get the stay in the game till half time scenario but not to register a shot on target in a home match is pitiful. The effort s there and i think if Mcgeever was still on Park we d ve got a draw . But c mon let's have a go and at least go down fighting . A lot of grumbles today amongst City fans . Rant over .

No pelters from me. I am not also going to have a go at players but think a change is required; shape and personnel. 

There was point in the second half, early doors where we looked better and when it started slipping that is when a change was required. But ha ho hindsight is wonderful.

Yes I know our limits and efforts amazing.Maybe get Watty in next week and tweak things . Today's first time I d say Dods got it wrong ( maybe not helped by Mcgeever s injury of course).Our defence are fine but will never manage to defend backs to wall 90 mins every week ..

13 minutes ago, Cold Feet said:

Morton were not that great  - like a lot of full time teams I have seen it is all about possession without necessarily creating a great deal, across the back, down the sides, back out, across the back - repeat, repeat, repeat u till hopefully (due to boredom) there is a mistake which in this case there was but not very exciting to watch.

No offence to Brechin but this would probably be down to you sitting in and making it difficult for teams to break you down, rather than coming out and playing a bit of football yourselves.

4 minutes ago, CITY1974 said:

Well I was happy with our efforts that day .But today we re at home against a poorer team and did nt look like attacking that's all I meant .No slight at St Mirren

So you should have been. You worked hard and made it difficult and when you went behind you pushed forward and got an equaliser. 

45 minutes ago, IainMorton said:

No offence to Brechin but this would probably be down to you sitting in and making it difficult for teams to break you down, rather than coming out and playing a bit of football yourselves.

Maybe but I have seen games at all levels that look like this.

I'd like to go back to a back four like at Utd but that then begs the question; what do you do with three capable centre halves? Full backs need to be further up but middle to front needs sorted....

2 hours ago, Cold Feet said:

That's a fair comment. We did enough to get the win so fine,  job done, but let's not kid ourselves that that was anywhere close to a good performance. We were totally devoid of any kind of attacking gameplan and we screwed a goal out of a second ball and a bit of shite goalkeeping; game won and the three points is what matters but that kind of performance won't get us points against anyone else in the division.

4-3-3 and the idea of Jai Quitongo on the left need to go in the sea. It's not working and it's never going to start working.

Look on the positives.

Great pies and apart from the far corner, which was very soft, the surface was ok allowing us to pass the ball back to middle, middle to wing . back to middle. I thought it was a training bounce kickabout and not a need to win championship game.

Centre of defence was solid and Tids was our best player in midfield. Yes Jai seemed a waste out on the touchline was all to tight for him.

Young Tiffoney had a few good runs but final ball just seemed to not be anticipated by the forwards.

Anyway I will take the win and went home happy, but I understand where the Brechin supporters are coming from far too negative for a home game.

That was poor today thought we were far to negative and flat with our football .Defense looked solid enough I thought.Bit gutted at mcGeever going off injured looked like he took a sore one.Up front it looks like we're missing Andy Jackson massively We clearley need a target man style strike upfront.Somone who can hold the ball up and has a bit of strength about them.Only positive i could take today is that it was good to see Euan smith back on the bench.Hoefully won't be to long before we see him in the starting 11 again.Keep the faith city fans we knew we'd be in for a difficult season.The only way is up from here.

2 hours ago, Scosha said:

What’s the lowest number of points a team has finished on in the Championship/Division 1 before? 2 points in the first quarter for Brechin.. 

Since 1975/76, the lowest points total was 10 by Queen of the South (deducted 2 points) in 1988/89 and Clydebank (no deductions) in 1999/00.

4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Since 1975/76, the lowest points total was 10 by Queen of the South (deducted 2 points) in 1988/89 and Clydebank (no deductions) in 1999/00.

This, though ours was in the 2 points for a win days so not as bad as Clydebank's (though to be fair it's also worth mentioning it was in the days of a 39 game season,, not 36).

Archived