Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

Seems to be a lot of decent new stuff on this version. Waiting for the beta to drop as ever. Given the hours you get out of this game, it's tremendous value. I'm happy with 50 odd hours on a major PS4 release costing £50 or more. I've had close to or over 2000 hours in each of the last five versions of this, so I certainly don't begrudge paying the price. 

I actually quite like the dynamics addition, although it could be horrible unless it's implemented correctly. The scouting revamp and dedication medical section are also potentially good additions. Also like the mew tactics screen and the analysis view of the tactics pitch in particular. Will help in determining where the line up is weak. Like how the dynamics links into the tactics with the cohesion aspect.  No interest in fantasy draft, but it's good that they're tightening up the transfers for the AI controlled sides, hopefully see more realistic squad building from the other sides now. 

In terms of the 'new' graphics engine, from the snippets we've seen, doesn't look earth shatteringly different, but I reckon this upgrade is more with future instalments of the series in mind. It's never been about the graphics for me anyway, I still mostly play in 2D. 

Looking forward to it this year, still not decided on my main save yet. Got it narrowed down to the Albion, York, Blackburn, or maybe Union Berlin. Probably go someone completely different in the end though. 

7 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

This is the most disappointed I've been in an FM during the first few hours of gameplay since FM2011. 

There's so much wrong with it, I don't know where to begin. A mess of a release. 

I wouldn't go as far as that, but that's because I only played about an hour, most of which was holidaying to try and find an international job (which is bugged still).  It certainly isn't particularly polished though.  It is just a beta though, the real release in 2 weeks will be a better judge.  Still, given plenty of people are going to see this as a release and not a beta, it's not a great first impression.

7 hours ago, StewartyMac said:

This is the most disappointed I've been in an FM during the first few hours of gameplay since FM2011. 

There's so much wrong with it, I don't know where to begin. A mess of a release. 

Really? Whats wrong with it?

I only had a quick look last night - didnt even get to the first preseason game - but I thought the new stuff actually looked pretty good, if it works of course

I just found it a bit meh to be honest.  Not necessarily the game's fault, I've never really gotten into a few editions now.  There's definitely some nice changes in there, it looks a lot cleaner* but first impression is just that it's another FM game.  Should get better with some more time and play, but I'd say if you're not desperate to get stuck in, just wait for the full release when hopefully it'll be a bit more polished.

* Outside of the match engine, as inside it you get things like this

Szhb8pv.png

Black-and-white-minstrel-o-rama

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

I just found it a bit meh to be honest.  Not necessarily the game's fault, I've never really gotten into a few editions now.  There's definitely some nice changes in there, it looks a lot cleaner* but first impression is just that it's another FM game.  Should get better with some more time and play, but I'd say if you're not desperate to get stuck in, just wait for the full release when hopefully it'll be a bit more polished.

* Outside of the match engine, as inside it you get things like this

Szhb8pv.png

Black-and-white-minstrel-o-rama

There are a lot more changes this year than, probably, the last two, maybe three years combined.

I was really disappointed, though, that a lot of the conversation questions and answers are exactly the same. If the player ones are the same its going to make these new dynamics more difficult to manage

18 minutes ago, Mr X said:

There are a lot more changes this year than, probably, the last two, maybe three years combined.

I was really disappointed, though, that a lot of the conversation questions and answers are exactly the same. If the player ones are the same its going to make these new dynamics more difficult to manage

Yeah, interviews and "new club" press conferences are still absolutely identical, to the point I can click quickly through them knowing exactly where each answer is going to be.

15 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, interviews and "new club" press conferences are still absolutely identical, to the point I can click quickly through them knowing exactly where each answer is going to be.

That is disappointing, as its one of the areas of the game that could most have done with updating.

Having said that, Firhill is now correctly represented as a three-sided stadium.  So that's...something, I guess?

EDIT: But they also had an attendance of almost 7k for a match with Hibs.  Giveth with one hand...

Edited by forameus

ab2ef3ae96898e5d70a3325372360553.jpg

Any of you lot tech savvy enough to know how well this'll run this game?

Not fussed about 3D matches and happy enough to only have a few leagues loaded