Football Manager 2018

ajwffc

Got bored with the Celtic save, quit that one and started an Arsenal save which I made it to November of the first season before losing patience with drawing so many games. 

So I started one with Queens, got off to a flier in the league cup topping the group. Now in the second week of December and the table is so tight. St mirren and Dumbarton are joint top on 28 points. Myself and Dundee Utd are on 27 and Inverness are on 26. Livi are on 21 and Falkirk on 20 so unless they go on a run it's a 5 way battle for the top 4. I have got Kaziahah Sterling on loan and Callum Gribben. Dobbie has kept most of his scoring for the cups and has laid on a few for others. Snuck past Airdrie away in round three of the Scottish and my reward is an away trip to Fraserburgh.  

Finally out of Europa league at first knockout round to Leverkusen, 4-0 aggregate. I have 4 mil in the bank but board won't increase my transfer budget above 100k, so i can't bring anyone in. Tried to get williamson from Dunfermline but needed 200k up front. infuriating. 

Struggling in league, 9th safe from relegation but 6 points from 8th with 2 months to go. Top 6 probably beyond me. There was an algerian guy available on a free but wanted 6k a week which i couldn't get to now he's worth 6million for some chinese team. 

So Brexit didn't end up happening I don't think.  The original date it was supposed to take place (June 24, 2020) has come and gone and no changes have made.  Meanwhile I was able to sign Serge Gnabry on a free from Bayern Munich and released James Forrest and Greg Taylor.  Also sold Alexander Isak to Chelsea after they triggered his release clause of 32.5 million, he scored 56 goals in 70 appearances, and Stuart Armstrong to Leicester for 13.5 million, he had fallen to third in my Attacking Midfielder depth chart behind Ryan Christie and Eziqiel Barco.  

Having crushed the SPFL scoring a record 133 goals I have decided to play with the in-game editor to give every other Premiership team 1 super hot prospect that I am not allowed to buy from them!  Each team now has a 16 year old (positions varied) that has a potential score between 175 and 190 out of 200, I gave a higher potential number to the teams that finished lower down so newly promoted Queen of the South and Partick (who survived via the playoffs) got a guy with 190 potential while Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, and Hibs got guys with potential in the 175-180 range.  I've shortlisted them so I can see where they end up, will the teams develop them into stars in Scotland?  Or will they sell them for big money?  Either way the biggest winner will be the Scotland national team!

Love this thread every year.

Currently doing a St. Mirren game wherein Ive kept Lewis Morgan and secured him until 2022. Long term is that I will sell him but apart from a %15 of whatever he goes for goes to the player, it'll be a nice fee. The problem is that I don't play with wingers, so he's having to settle as either an attacking midfielder or a wing back. The signings i've made have broadly been successful. Im sitting 4th after 28 games in the SPL after my league winning season in the 1st year. Kalvin Phillips became available on the cheap and I pounced. Gavin Reilly is a goalscoring machine for me also.  

A bit of a patchy start to my season, without the extra rounds of European qualifiers my team wasn't as cohesive in attack in my first few games not scoring alot of goals (I had over 40 shots against Hamilton but only won 2-1) so my Champions League playoff didn't look like it was going to be a high scoring affair.  I won the first leg away 2-0 so decided to go with a more defensive 4-1-2-3 position with Tiemoue Bakayoko in the holding role, expecting a draw or narrow win.  And then this happened!
image.thumb.png.765ecaf94f4c05065251b1d056276aeb.png

Bit of a disappointing end to the league campaign. Celtic have pulled 10 points clear and I've run out of games  - 2 left. After a great draw away at Celtic, my old defensive issues returned. I'm scoring and conceding at least 2 and usually more in most games again. Post split I was 7 points off the pace, but lost matches away at Rangers and Motherwell (2-1 and 3-2 defeats). Managed to beat Hibs in the next game though, so hopefully end the season positively and close the gap.

I have a great chance of completing the cup double. Both old firm clubs were knocked out in earlier rounds and I've just beaten Dumbarton in the semi final of the cup, setting up a game against 7th placed Dundee (who I've beaten each time I've played this season). A win would make this season a hugely successful one in terms of domestic cups, a bit of a let down in Europe and a slight disappointment that I didn't run Celtic a bit closer in the league so I can't be too unhappy on balance.

Lewis Morgan has returned from his cruciate injury after 8 months. First game back, he went off with a concussion and missed a further 3 weeks :rolleyes:. He's back now and being eased in, but I fear he's lost his place in the team as I've been able to extend Millen Baars loan. Kaziah Sterling has 27 goals in all competitions (a bit of a dip since my last update) with Isma scoring 23, mostly from the right wing. I've got my squad all signed up for next season, with the exception of Liam Henderson who is almost certainly returning to Celtic. He's on £8500 a week now and they want all of his wages and a 6 figure monthly contribution for his loan to be extended. I'm #somoney  but not THAT #somoney. Hoping to put together a better run in Europe and to run Celtic a bit closer in the league next year. The board will need to let me sign some more depth though, as once again that has contributed to a poor end to the season.

Edited by Kyle

Had gotten a bit bored of the Celtic save for the time being so I busted out my first FM18 save, a Rangers game and I had forgotten how tidy a squad I had put together.  And although I did spend quite a few of Dave King's pounds the overall transfer balance isn't that much in the negative in the 3 transfer windows I have had, I've spent 14.5 Million Dave-pounds but have recouped 10.25 million of them, mostly from selling Jordan Rossiter to Middlesbrough

image.thumb.png.a2879a3479d7c8aa7dea95ac384d517d.png

Must admit starting to really get into this FM. Got my usual SJFC save on the go. Just coming up to the split in season one. Sitting third. 14 points ahead of fourth. Only made one signing Jamie walker on loan. Made the playoff round of Europa qualifier. Semi of league cup and in the Scottish cup had hearts away, defeated them in a replay, then Aberdeen, taken them in a replay and eventually lost to rangers in the quarters. Hopefully finish in third and get European football. Then to start building the squad.

After boxing day in my Rangers save and it's an interesting state of affairs all of a sudden.  Celtic had won their first 14 games and looked like they were cruising but have had a patchy December while Hibs have been excellent.  Weirdly there have been no OF league games yet so I'll need to win those and I might nick the title.  Meanwhile I cruised my Europa League group going 6 for 6 against Napoli, Fenerbahce, and Steaua Bucharest to set up a round of 32 tie with Valencia.  Unfortunately Uncle Dave hasn't given me a war chest for Christmas so if I want to strengthen I'll need to see if I can flog some of my dead wood like Michael O'Halloran, Joe Dodoo, and James Tavernier

image.png.46c47e6ec603e6c98e895940f433d65c.png

23 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

:lol: That's realistic...

How much money do you get at the start?

Yah, realism is in short supply in this save.  I'm in the second season and I don't remember exactly how much I got at the start of 2017 but it was a few million, Uncle Dave then topped me up with another few million quid at Christmas in the first season so i was able to bring in guys like John Souttar, Cammy Kerr, and Jordan Archer.  Also had dumped Bruno Alves, Jack Alnwick, Carlos Pena etc.... during that January.  Realism sorta went downhill in the summer when I got over 7 million quid for Jordan Rossitter, allowing me to bring in John McGinn and Murray Wallace (for significantly less).  Other realism fail, Alfredo Morelos has like 35 goals this year and it's only December!

I'm going to complete this season at least, I've imposed a new rule in that I can only sign Scottish players so that will make it interesting.  I've been trying to unsettle Kilmarnock's Greg Taylor and he's refused a new Kilmarnock contract so I just need a couple hundred grand in January to get him early.  

Edited by senorsoupe

Just now, senorsoupe said:

Yah, realism is in short supply in this save.  I'm in the second season and I don't remember exactly how much I got at the start of 2017 but it was a few million, Uncle Dave then topped me up with another few million quid at Christmas in the first season so i was able to bring in guys like John Souttar, Cammy Kerr, and Jordan Archer.  Also had dumped Bruno Alves, Jack Alnwick, Carlos Pena etc.... during that January.  Realism sorta went downhill in the summer when I got over 7 million quid for Jordan Rossitter, allowing me to bring in John McGinn and Murray Wallace (for significantly less).  Other realism fail, Alfredo Morelos has like 35 goals this year and it's only December!

I'm going to complete this season at least, I've imposed a new rule in that I can only sign Scottish players so that will make it interesting.  I've been trying to unsettle Kilmarnock's Greg Taylor and he's refused a new Kilmarnock contract so I just need a couple hundred quid in January to get him early.  

Ah cool so you aren't that skint in the game. Scottish players only makes it better - I find that Scottish league games got boring quite quickly due to poor domestic competition.

Looks like my brother will be getting me the game for Christmas so just wondering who to play as.

2 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

Ah cool so you aren't that skint in the game. Scottish players only makes it better - I find that Scottish league games got boring quite quickly due to poor domestic competition.

Looks like my brother will be getting me the game for Christmas so just wondering who to play as.

Whichever Premiership team you choose, sign Lewis Morgan.  He's a bit of cheat code in this game because he has a lot of potential and is pretty cheap.  He scores a ton of goals on the wing, have him in both my Rangers and Celtic saves

1 minute ago, senorsoupe said:

Whichever Premiership team you choose, sign Lewis Morgan.  He's a bit of cheat code in this game because he has a lot of potential and is pretty cheap.  He scores a ton of goals on the wing, have him in both my Rangers and Celtic saves

Cheers for that. I often go English Championship sides so he could also be an option there - will probably go for him.

Has anyone ever seen a free kick scored? I’m half way through my third season (don’t get to play as often as I’d like) and still not see one, not even sure I’ve seen one go on target, always hopelessly over the bar.
I've seen a few, only when I was playing in the Juniors though.