Slovenia Vs Scotland - Official Match Thread

Gordopolis

I said before the game that if the players couldn't get themselves up for a game like this, then they deserved f**k all.  I don't think a lot of those players got themselves up for that.

It was a typical away from home performance in a qualifying campaign.  Defending a lead pretty well until an absolutely cracking ball in for their first goal.  Could've probably defended it better (although I'm not sure it's necessarily that simple, it was an absolutely perfect cross) but it is what it is.  Losing a goal like that isn't the problem, the reaction to losing it was.  We went deeper and deeper, essentially looking completely resigned to the inevitable.  Strachan should have watched the goal go in and then told Anya to sit down, or at least changed who was coming off.  But no, they removed one of our only links between Griffiths and the rest of the team, and essentially declared.  From then it was just a matter of time - Slovenia got their 2nd, and although we did equalise, had they not got it, it would have finished 1-1.  There was just no way we were going to win that game from the moment their first went in.

Och well.  It's only football.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, LinkinFighter said:

The Martin substitution was crazy.

Whilst Martin had been pretty shite, once he went off, Griffiths was completely isolated up front on his own and we were reduced to humping hopeful balls up to him.

Baffling decision.

Whilst Martin had been pretty shite, once he went off, Griffiths was completely isolated up front on his own and we were reduced to humping hopeful balls up to him.
Baffling decision.

Exactly. He should have taken Phillips off and brought on Forest or Anya.

44 minutes ago, forameus said:

And yet it all went downhill from around the time he decided to bring him off.  After starting off being pretty useless, he's found his way in the side.  It's no coincidence we looked utterly bereft going forward when you take away the focal point that he is.  I expect had he not started, the rot would have set in far earlier with Griffiths being completely isolated.

All ifs and buts I guess, Martin has done better for us recently but coming off the bench when we're pressing. Maybe I, m just being overly critical of him for his past performances. Looking back our midfield was just too immobile and light on numbers they looked busted.

Still picking myself off the floor after last night. Could we have had a better draw of a group? Probably not, as most have stated England top seed were probably the easiest in there, given how poorly they continue to play. Slovenia and Slovakia are good teams with an odd premiership/world class talent dotted in. There is no reason we should not be competing with them if we are serious about qualification. 

For me ways forward.

Inevitably we will be looking for a new management team. I have nightmares that Mark McGhee takes over and Strachan steps down. I think we need to bring someone external in, not necessarily Scottish. Off hand i cannot pick a name, however given our next competitive game is some 15 months away, the SFA have time on their side to head hunt the correct individual.  To call for a clear-out and a rebuild seems to be the fans go-to response whenever any team faces disappointment, however on this occasion i feel its justified. We have given
Strachan and his coaching team 2 campaigns. If we saw some progress, then i could stomach a third. The reality is we dance along the line of mediocrity, with every moment of magic quickly followed by abject failure.

Of the squad that travelled to Slovenia - Tierney Robertson Armstong Griffiths, is the spine i would like to see going forward. Lads like Burke, McGinn, Mckay, now have time to show they can step up. We still do not have a centre half pairing i would trust. If this was club football you would build from the back. This failure is not WGS fault, whilst he has put boys like Mulgrew Berra et al in the squad, you could have interchanged them with players who would have been equally haphazard. The problem is not who wears the shirt, it is that the standard we have to choose from in that position is too low. We have lost too many sloppy goals this campaign, however i feel i could write that about any campaign since 1998.

The SFA need to join up an approach now, between 'Project Brave', U21s football and first team internationals. Something is not working. A lot of countries - Belgium being the most obvious example, have been in our position and turned it around. 

1 minute ago, kenny131 said:

All ifs and buts I guess, Martin has done better for us recently but coming off the bench when we're pressing. Maybe I, m just being overly critical of him for his past performances. Looking back our midfield was just too immobile and light on numbers they looked busted.

Yeah, he's definitely been a good option to completely change how we're playing, and he actually looks confident now playing in a Scotland shirt, rather than the fat ride he often looked like earlier, but starting him was the right decision last night.  Taking him off wasn't.  As you say, our midfield sank deeper and deeper.  At least with Martin still on, long hopeful punts would have had two targets, not one.

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yeah, he's definitely been a good option to completely change how we're playing, and he actually looks confident now playing in a Scotland shirt, rather than the fat ride he often looked like earlier, but starting him was the right decision last night.  Taking him off wasn't.  As you say, our midfield sank deeper and deeper.  At least with Martin still on, long hopeful punts would have had two targets, not one.

Yeah he was missed in those last 5mins when it was route 1 as he's expert at getting knocked over by the wind and getting us good free kicks in good positions. Still hurting bad this morning of what could have been. I knew our luck was out when Armstrong and brown were missing as they have been excellent for us recently and we're a huge miss. I think fletcher macarthur and morrison need binned from our midfield now all too similar and sideways passing none of them can drive forward.

8 hours ago, come on shire said:

As someone that goes to every home game of the Scotland rugby team allow me to remind you that we are winning big games now. You guys don't.

Plus, we don't run around with pink strips on *snigger*.

Good for you. That doesn't stop rugby being fucking shite. Thank you.

Guest bernardblack
Still picking myself off the floor after last night. Could we have had a better draw of a group? Probably not, as most have stated England top seed were probably the easiest in there, given how poorly they continue to play. Slovenia and Slovakia are good teams with an odd premiership/world class talent dotted in. There is no reason we should not be competing with them if we are serious about qualification. 
For me ways forward.
Inevitably we will be looking for a new management team. I have nightmares that Mark McGhee takes over and Strachan steps down. I think we need to bring someone external in, not necessarily Scottish. Off hand i cannot pick a name, however given our next competitive game is some 15 months away, the SFA have time on their side to head hunt the correct individual.  To call for a clear-out and a rebuild seems to be the fans go-to response whenever any team faces disappointment, however on this occasion i feel its justified. We have given
Strachan and his coaching team 2 campaigns. If we saw some progress, then i could stomach a third. The reality is we dance along the line of mediocrity, with every moment of magic quickly followed by abject failure.
Of the squad that travelled to Slovenia - Tierney Robertson Armstong Griffiths, is the spine i would like to see going forward. Lads like Burke, McGinn, Mckay, now have time to show they can step up. We still do not have a centre half pairing i would trust. If this was club football you would build from the back. This failure is not WGS fault, whilst he has put boys like Mulgrew Berra et al in the squad, you could have interchanged them with players who would have been equally haphazard. The problem is not who wears the shirt, it is that the standard we have to choose from in that position is too low. We have lost too many sloppy goals this campaign, however i feel i could write that about any campaign since 1998.
The SFA need to join up an approach now, between 'Project Brave', U21s football and first team internationals. Something is not working. A lot of countries - Belgium being the most obvious example, have been in our position and turned it around. 

The McGhee point really worries me. Seeing Strachan look to him for advice or to run an idea by him gives me the serious fear during a match.

Bad showing in the end, when really the team should have been pumped up and chasing down a lot more.

Taking Malta out the equation i would argue that every team in this group has players that looked more comfortable on the ball than us.  A lot of people use the phrase 'technically better' which i think is wrong as there is other parts to being a footballer.  The basic bringing of the ball under control right across the park  seems to be a big part of where we look inferior, and it is very frustrating when we  do so many other things well. 

By sitting off and deep last night Slovenia were allowed to pass the ball about but they did it so well, and a team with more pace and a bit more creativity would have scunnered us by a few goals.

I cant see things changing hugely under any manager that we could realistically get. No point in a change for the sake of change, at least Strachan does offer a bit of stability.

52 minutes ago, forameus said:

I don't know. We got the first - brilliant - goal with the 442, but tbh we looked really out of sorts for most of the first half and failed to get a grip of the game in midfield. Looked like Slovenia would run right through us more than once during that period.

4231 with a press might have been more predictable, but it's what has worked for us recently, and it would have left us with Martin to come on ~60mins as a plan B. 

In any case, I think the Martin->Anya substitution made sense at 0-1, but as soon as they scored it was a no-brainer to change tack. Bit of a f*ck up.

Archived