Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

Looks like the Weegie Council are playing hardball and the SFA have resorted to media leaks to try and conclude the sale.

38 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

As well they should.

Glasgow City Council are insisting on a seat on the board of the body that will run the national football stadium.

This might actually be a good idea but it's not a self-evidently good idea.

What's your reasoning?

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Glasgow City Council are insisting on a seat on the board of the body that will run the national football stadium.

This might actually be a good idea but it's not a self-evidently good idea.

What's your reasoning?

Maybe the SNP are worried about Haughey pulling a fast one and want to keep an eye on him.

On 2/1/2019 at 20:35, LinkinFighter said:

Because they paid towards the upgrades?

Yeah, this is my thinking too.  If Glasgow City Council are 1. partly funding the upgrades and 2. partly responsible for future expenses and 3. spending public money on it, they are jolly well obliged to make sure that money is appropriately spent.  

This, of course, all depends on the presupposition that the stadium will actually be upgraded.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Maybe the SNP are worried about Haughey pulling a fast one and want to keep an eye on him.
Haughey paid for sponsorship of the Scottish Cup then, instead of naming it after his company, gave the naming rights to the SNP-controlled Scottish Government for nothing.

So I doubt it.

4 hours ago, GordonS said:

Haughey paid for sponsorship of the Scottish Cup then, instead of naming it after his company, gave the naming rights to the SNP-controlled Scottish Government for nothing.

So I doubt it.

Aye it's impossible to donate to a political party and also do dodgy deals.

3 hours ago, Detournement said:

Aye it's impossible to donate to a political party and also do dodgy deals.

I think you were suggesting he might want to stitch up the SNP, when I don't think there's a reason to think that.  There's a lot of hate for Haughey but I've never understood it. What am I missing?

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I think you were suggesting he might want to stitch up the SNP, when I don't think there's a reason to think that.  There's a lot of hate for Haughey but I've never understood it. What am I missing?

Dodgy deals with Glasgow Council to outsource loads of things that used to be done in house. The fact that his outsourcing companies are shite employers. Dodgy land deals where he made a lot of money thanks to the M74 extension.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/joan-mcapline-suspicions-build-when-politicians-meet-property-1-816421

But it is the influence of a legitimate businessman, Willie Haughey, which created most column inches. Haughey has donated more than 1m to Labour. Nobody has ever proved that he behaved improperly. Not when his compensation package for land that lay in the path of the M74 motorway was revised upwards by millions, coincidently after another party donation. Not when he sold a pub to the former MP Tommy McAvoy. Not when he was made chairman of Scottish Enterprise Glasgow, the publicly funded development agency.

His company received a grant of almost 1m from SE Glasgow at a meeting where he declared an interest. Steven Purcell took the chair instead. Before the recession scuppered it, one of Haughey's companies was shortlisted for a contract to sell off council property.

Strangest of all is the relationship between Haughey and Purcell. During the council leader's breakdown, the two men attended a secret meeting to "decide his fate" in the car park of a pub that Haughey owned.

No newspaper column is long enough to recount the complex web of influence centred on Mr Haughey, let alone smaller-fry Labour donors who also win council contracts. They say no rules are broken. Perhaps.

• 4 months later...

First time at Murrayfield since a Hearts European game over a decade ago. Reinforced my view that Hampden a much better football venue. Seats at the ends and in the main stand too far away from the pitch. Rake too shallow in lower tiers. Facilities poor compared to Hampden. 45 minutes queue in the open air for water.

Only thing better than Hampden was getting away at the end. Roads closed all the way to Haymarket making the walk into town easy.  (Although 40 minute walk before could access a bus.)  Why can’t Police Scotland do this at Hampden instead of allowing vehicles to continue to use the roads, endangering life and limb.

Edited by EdinburghBlue

• 4 months later...

Presumably any share of this fund would come through the Barnett formula, but regardless - SFA head calls for a share of UK £500M grassroots football fund to redevelop Hampden.

At foot of article he says the stadium will need investment over a 10yr period and "giving us a couple hundred million to redevelop Hampden is not a huge price to pay".

Scottish FA chief Ian Maxwell urges Boris Johnson to stump up cash for Hampden Park rebuild

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7815819/Scottish-FA-chief-Ian-Maxwell-urges-Boris-Johnson-stump-cash-Hampden-Park-rebuild.html

Edited by HibeeJibee