Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

Are you able to name a U.K railway station ready for anywhere between twenty and forty thousand people showing up at the same time?

No, but I can name a few with a foyer that can hold more than a few hundred folk with pavements outside that can hold more than a couple of hundred again. Haymarket get away with it on rugby games as they're often during the day so there's not a mass exodus come final whistle, majority will hang about in the city.

3 minutes ago, AMMjag said:

150,000 seater stadium in the centre of Stirling. Railway links from every major Scottish town and city into the heart of the stadium. A modest airport across the road for expats from Canada, Australia and the likes. Lights that project our starting line-up into the night sky. Extra lasers.

The extent that the SFA have ripped off their mug fan base over the years means they should be able to afford the above twice over with change.

A modest airport will be no use for long haul flights, we'll need a big one. You could extend the Forth and Clyde Canal to help disperse the road and (mono) rail traffic.

47 minutes ago, Donathan said:

What they should do is a massive redevelopment of Murrayfield into a multi sport national stadium including building a new train station right next to the ground. The line already runs past it so it shouldn’t be a major problem. Rugby can use Hampden for the meantime. Queens Park can groundshare at Firhill or get a new much smaller ground.

:lol:

...and who is footing the £100 million bill?

1 hour ago, AlbionMan said:

I thought you had the answer till you mentioned Scottish government involvement.

It's exactly the sort of project that Sturgeon should be investing in. Would make the money back with gigs, cup semi finals etc. Plus having the train station there would encourage more businesses to move their offices outside of the crowded city centre. Would also mean these offices would be nearer the airport. They could turn north west Edinburgh into the Scottish version of canary wharf.

Why do people bother with Mount Florida station when Kings Park never has any queues and a guaranteed seat when the train arrives.

Shhh, you're not meant to tell them that!

I use Kings Park going the opposite direction back to Newton (then on to Hamilton West) but yeah on Thursday night hordes will have headed for Mount Florida out of habit/laziness when the exact same train stopped at Kings Park a few mins before.

Nothing happening to Hampden in near future. It got approved for ties at the Euro 2020 finals so has to be in current designs until then I guess. 

I grew up with new Hampden. The only games I went to as a teenager were internationals. I now go to grounds all over the UK. Yeah,  The feel of the place is diluted by the track and the depth of the stands. There are certainly loads of places that feel more fierce and electric for fans. But for me that's why hampden has memories, it was family friendly for great days out with dad. It's not a bad atmosphere, it's just a different one.

Could be worse. Look at England the other night. Qualify unbeaten with a game to spare and the place has all the energy of a morgue. If Scotland had done that at Hampden not a single soul would be complaining about the experience.

11 minutes ago, cdisaaccie said:

Shhh, you're not meant to tell them that!

I use Kings Park going the opposite direction back to Newton (then on to Hamilton West) but yeah on Thursday night hordes will have headed for Mount Florida out of habit/laziness when the exact same train stopped at Kings Park a few mins before.

Cathcart is my option wether going back to Neilston or into town. Particularly handy if your in West Stand 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Check out Friends Arena in Stockholm. Dreadful name but would be perfect for us.

1 hour ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It's just a generic modern 50k ground. Perfectly nice but in some sort of dream 'design your own New Hampden' scenario, i'd be looking for better

It also cost about £300,000,000 - 5yrs ago - and didn't entail demolishing an existing stadium onsite first.

15 minutes ago, TartanTyneArmy said:

Nothing happening to Hampden in near future. It got approved for ties at the Euro 2020 finals so has to be in current designs until then I guess. 

SFA have extended lease from March 2020 to July 2020 to cover that.

Whether they renew, and if so whether long-term/only short-term, is what's being decided this December and June.

Edited by HibeeJibee

To be honest I'm struggling to think of many grounds where the regulars prefer a modern stadium to their older versions. Perhaps Brighton and Huddersfield but they are more recent examples. I thinks stadium design went through a bad patch in the later 90s and early 00s. It's understandable, there was pressure target hooliganism, improve crowd safety and better accessibility.

2 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

It's just a generic modern 50k ground. Perfectly nice but in some sort of dream 'design your own New Hampden' scenario, i'd be looking for better

It's absolutely ideal for Scotland's needs. Closer to the pitch, tiered all round and has a retractable roof. If designing a national stadium what else would we need?