Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

On Thursday, August 02, 2018 at 14:28, GordonS said:

My own preferences based on knowing nothing, but having grown up near Hampden and it feeling like a second home, and also having season passes for Murrayfield:

1) Reconstructed Hampden with pitch dug down to bring stands closer, and ends rebuilt like Stuttgart did;

If you've grown up near Hampden you might've heard of the Malls Mire burn that runs under Hampden, making in impossible to lower the pitch.

3 hours ago, Lurkst said:

If you've grown up near Hampden you might've heard of the Malls Mire burn that runs under Hampden, making in impossible to lower the pitch.

We called it Mull's Mire, but we weren't posh, and it referred to the area north and east of the junction between Aitkenhead and Prospecthill Roads, where Asda stands now.

If it does run under the pitch at Hampden, I'm sure it wouldn't take a genius to divert it through a sewer under the front of newly-extended stands.

Latest Daily Mail / Stephen McGowan story about Hampden is that QP are holding out for 6M. Apparently about what they think they can net from selling it to developers and repaying the government / lottery grants.

Hampden's a shit stadium for football, especially if you're stuck in the corners or the end as the wee team. Why the f**k is the running track there, it's like Central Park. Demolish it or leave it as a mausoleum for Queens Park, whatever. Just move big games around the country, according to expected attendance. It's what grown up countries like Spain and Italy do. 

The corner of the West and North is where I watch Scotland games from, very decent view from the back rows. Many people's criticism of Hampden isn't really based on fact. As others have pointed out you can't move games around the country without locking out thousands if fans, not good commercial sense there.

They are offering a four game season ticket for the Nations League and friendly games. No idea what it'll cost as they're taking their time announcing it.
£80 for 4 games in the West, yet people will still complain about ticket prices.

4 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
On 02/08/2018 at 01:12, welshbairn said:
Hampden's a shit stadium for football, especially if you're stuck in the corners or the end as the wee team. Why the f**k is the running track there, it's like Central Park. Demolish it or leave it as a mausoleum for Queens Park, whatever. Just move big games around the country, according to expected attendance. It's what grown up countries like Spain and Italy do. 

The corner if the West and North is where I watch Scotland games from, very decent view from the back rows. Many people's criticism of Hampden isn't really based on fact.

It's not just the distance from the pitch, the PA system drowning out any atmosphere and the distracting gigantic tellys get on my wick too.

On 8/11/2018 at 13:11, Burnie_man said:
On 8/3/2018 at 11:36, Blootoon87 said:
They are offering a four game season ticket for the Nations League and friendly games. No idea what it'll cost as they're taking their time announcing it.

£80 for 4 games in the West, yet people will still complain about ticket prices.

What are they charging for seats in the corner of the South and West?  That view is absolutely atrocious, and they generally charge top dollar for that. 

Can't just measure the nosebleeds.  The value for money for the higher price seats is pretty awful.  

1 hour ago, GordonS said:
On 11/08/2018 at 11:11, Burnie_man said:

Presumably only if you buy the SSC membership for £50 too?

Yes that's SSC members prices, public sales prices for West and East stands for all 4 games will total £110, so £27.50 per game.

50 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

What are they charging for seats in the corner of the South and West?  That view is absolutely atrocious, and they generally charge top dollar for that. 

Can't just measure the nosebleeds.  The value for money for the higher price seats is pretty awful.  

£30 & £35 for South and North Stand tickets via public sale, I'm never in either of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Some articles from Dominic McKay's interview in the morning papers:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/rugby-will-always-have-first-dibs-on-murrayfield-says-sru-boss-1-4787679

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16590152.the-srus-pursuit-of-international-football-for-murrayfield-has-been-generations-in-the-making/

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3099602/sfa-hampden-murrayfield-dominic-mckay-40m-scottish-football-scottish-rugby-chief/

Sadly, the longer this goes on, the more I think the SFA will move to Murrayfield. The SRU have clearly put together a strong case and with the problems of buying and maintaining Hampden, I can easily see the SFA just deciding to go to Murrayfield for less hassle than rebuilding and maintaining Hampden.

Wouldn't be my choice but I can see why some members of the SFA board favour it. For me, we would be the poor relation to rugby and the stadium just isn't all that, a lack of indoor facilities, poor sight lines in the lower tiers and 3 stands still a long way from the pitch.

On 22/08/2018 at 13:14, BucksburnDandy said:
Some articles from Dominic McKay's interview in the morning papers:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/rugby-will-always-have-first-dibs-on-murrayfield-says-sru-boss-1-4787679

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/16590152.the-srus-pursuit-of-international-football-for-murrayfield-has-been-generations-in-the-making/

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3099602/sfa-hampden-murrayfield-dominic-mckay-40m-scottish-football-scottish-rugby-chief/

Sadly, the longer this goes on, the more I think the SFA will move to Murrayfield. The SRU have clearly put together a strong case and with the problems of buying and maintaining Hampden, I can easily see the SFA just deciding to go to Murrayfield for less hassle than rebuilding and maintaining Hampden.

Wouldn't be my choice but I can see why some members of the SFA board favour it. For me, we would be the poor relation to rugby and the stadium just isn't all that, a lack of indoor facilities, poor sight lines in the lower tiers and 3 stands still a long way from the pitch.

All bullshit from McKay, all he is interested in is money. If the SFA effectively sign Hampdens demolition then they will forever be tennants in other peoples stadiums and history will damn them for it.

Edited by Burnie_man

On ‎22‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:12, Burnie_man said:

All bullshit from McKay, all he is interested in is money. If the SFA effectively sign Hampdens demolition then they will forever be tennents in other peoples stadiums and history will damn them for it.

f**k them, I've  already damned them . how do you sit with all the options on the table around the time of the taylor report and go " aye just put a roof and some seats onto those knackered auld terraces and tell us how much its going to be when you're done"  they've got themselves here at the end of the day

f**k them, I've  already damned them . how do you sit with all the options on the table around the time of the taylor report and go " aye just put a roof and some seats onto those knackered auld terraces and tell us how much its going to be when you're done"  they've got themselves here at the end of the day
They did a lot more than just that, and the UK Govt had form in not helping fund Hampden redevelopment.

57 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
1 hour ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

They did a lot more than just that, and the UK Govt had form in not helping fund Hampden redevelopment.

a new stand as well then, for just £2 million less than what Cardiff got the millennium stadium for at around the same time , when you see that compared to what we got it doesn't reflect that well on them.

Also separate national stadiums for fitbaw & rugby? seems silly nowadays , unlike club grounds these will sit empty most of the time , why not have one for both and have it in use more often , share the costs etc

a new stand as well then, for just £2 million less than what Cardiff got the millennium stadium for at around the same time , when you see that compared to what we got it doesn't reflect that well on them.
Also separate national stadiums for fitbaw & rugby? seems silly nowadays , unlike club grounds these will sit empty most of the time , why not have one for both and have it in use more often , share the costs etc

Great idea, bring rugby to Glasgow.

1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Great idea, bring rugby to Glasgow.

Murrayfield just sits empty most of the time anyway - there's almost no club rugby played there.  Hampden could become the home of rugby, and maybe even Glasgow Warriors could occasionally play there. Then they could knock Murrayfield down for housing - it's some prime Edinburgh real estate.

Murrayfield just sits empty most of the time anyway - there's almost no club rugby played there.  Hampden could become the home of rugby, and maybe even Glasgow Warriors could occasionally play there. Then they could knock Murrayfield down for housing - it's some prime Edinburgh real estate.

Aye but Glasgow’s not a rugby city, mate.