Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

Almost slap bang in the middle of Glasgow but not really at all. Have you ever walked from the City centre to Hampden before? Not that I was advocating Murrayfield but the difference between Haymarket to Murrayfield and Queen St/ Central Station to Hampden is night and day.

People are quick to pile in on McDiarmid Park for being "too far out of town" when it's probably closer to Perth City centre than Hampden is to Glasgow City centre.

Besides, where the National team plays is irrelevant when you consider the utter incompetent morons that run the game in Scotland. Until this changes the mens game (don't want to taint the womens game as they seem to be fairly progressive) will continue to tread water.

Don’t you live in China?

8 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

While people from Paisley insisting it’s not just another part of Glasgow is usually merely a laudable expression of civic pride it‘s somewhat disingenuous in this context

Admittedly I was just offended at being called a Weegie! 

Point stands though, I've never really had issues with getting back to Glasgow from Hampden- but I think people often just wait in that Mount Florida station queue- which could be better done by Scotrail. I've been back in town for ages after games and seen Cathcart trains coming in still rammed.

However any midweek game finishing at 9.45pm like last night is going to be hard for PT to get places, no matter if it is Rugby Park, Ibrox, Murrayfield or Easter Road.

I go to the rugby a lot and you'll see people moaning about gigs and 6 Nations games at Murrayfield having similar issues getting home.  

Murrayfield have so to be fair tried to manage the issue around bars by having large bars and big screens in the stadia area to keep people there. Doesn't always work if it's peeing down in November mind! 

Hampden will be sold at a massive profit to housing developers a few years down the line and matches will be played around the country. I cant see anyone with the funds or desire to develop a stadium that is far too big for 90% of the matches played in it, especially when eye watering sums were spent on building the thing not even 20 years ago.

The recent Glasgow Edinburgh Pro14 game on a Saturday night was apparently a disaster getting back from Murrayfield to Glasgow.

Beyond the important issues of pints and Fifers who struggle in metropolitan areas has there been any confirmation of what Hunter and Haughey get for their money? This part of the story is bizarre.

4 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Hampden will be sold at a massive profit to housing developers a few years down the line and matches will be played around the country. I cant see anyone with the funds or desire to develop a stadium that is far too big for 90% of the matches played in it, especially when eye watering sums were spent on building the thing not even 20 years ago.

And the profits from selling Hampden used to do up the football stadium Haughey owns for Scotland to play in perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, and you'd think that Paisley wasn't a 20 minute drive away from Hampden the way you've went on there. 

Aye but the argument seems to be that it's either hard to get to from the city centre or just hard to get to compared to other places. Despite it being well served by buses, trains and motorways.

20 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Aye but the argument seems to be that it's either hard to get to from the city centre or just hard to get to compared to other places. Despite it being well served by buses, trains and motorways.

That's because it is, hence why so many people say it. I'd imagine it's far easier to get back to Paisley compared to say, pretty much anywhere else. 

36 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Wonder if QP negotiated a sell-on clause?

From my perspective (I'm in Bearsden, previous to that I was in Anderston), Hampden isn't hard to get to or away from.  If you fancy the walk out there, it's walkable (long though, granted).  If you want to get the bus, you can, although it'll start to choke up a bit close to the stadium.  If you want to get the train, get one of the many services that go out that way, including the dedicated Mount Florida ones they run.  Or, as of recently, get the completely free buses put on by the SFA that have been quite a good option.  On the way home you can queue for the train, and depending on where you were in the stadium and how you got out, you might not have too much of a wait.  Or just walk it, like many others do.

If you're in Glasgow to start with, it really, really isn't hard to get to Hampden.  But I accept not everyone lives in Glasgow.  Murrayfield then just has the same problem.  It's fine once you're at Haymarket, but you've still got to get there first.

Good news that we're staying at Hampden, and that they're open to change.  At least I know I still have the opportunity to go to the games, because if they moved to Murrayfield, that'd likely be it.

2 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Wonder if QP negotiated a sell-on clause?

Even if we were bright enough to think of that Gordo, I very much doubt we were in a strong enough bargaining position to suggest it given that the SFA have (presumably) now taken over all the debenture and re-fundable grant issues that threatened our very future.

The most remarkable point about this whole charade was the amount of supporters that genuinely thought there was ever a chance of the SFA moving from Hampden. All that matters is two clubs, three stadia and Glasgow.  That people still don't see this is astounding.

14 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

The most remarkable point about this whole charade was the amount of supporters that genuinely thought there was ever a chance of the SFA moving from Hampden. All that matters is two clubs, three stadia and Glasgow.  That people still don't see this is astounding.

I wouldnt be so sure  they seemed pretty far apart with Queens Park untill Haughey came in.

Edited by gannonball

How are folk thinking the redevelopments they want can happen?

Firstly, what gives you the impression the SFA would do it? To them there isn't really a problem as they still get thousands of mug fans paying for overpriced membership fees, tickets and replica strips. They've continually proven that they have no idea what fans want and don't care what fans want.

Secondly, assuming they somehow were going to redevelop it, where would they get the cash from? Who would invest?