Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I like Hampden and am glad we are staying there but I agree that its not that easy to get to/from and whilst there are pubs in the area, there aren't enough so there isn't much hope of getting into a pub just before or just after kick-off, you have to be there well in advance.

You could say the same for plenty of big stadia though. If you have 50,000 people going to an event then it’s quite unlikely you’ll get get served quickly in a nearby right before the game. Moving to Murrayfield would hardly have solved that issue.

There’s far better things to criticise Hampden for without sjc fretting about the lack of quality a la carte menus within a half-mile radius of the ground.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I like Hampden and am glad we are staying there but I agree that its not that easy to get to/from and whilst there are pubs in the area, there aren't enough so there isn't much hope of getting into a pub just before or just after kick-off, you have to be there well in advance.

Pretty much the same at Murrayfield to be fair. I tend to go down to the pubs near tynecastle as they tend to be a bit quieter,  but the ones near the station or along the road direct to Murrayfield are usually rammed on a match day. 

Just now, GAD said:

Pretty much the same at Murrayfield to be fair. I tend to go down to the pubs near tynecastle as they tend to be a bit quieter,  but the ones near the station or along the road direct to Murrayfield are usually rammed on a match day. 

There are loads more near Murrayfield than there are at Hampden though. I'm not suggesting that any pub isn't going to be pretty rammed but places like Clockwork have queues down the street. I think there was a game where you had to buy a ticket to get in, in advance.

Like I say, i still prefer Hampden but I do think it has its issues.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Wembley transport links are pish.

I doubt you can get out of Wembley and get a train back to anywhere north of Birmingham midweek.

The rail links to Wembley from central London are much better and plentiful than Glasgow to Hampden. Two tube lines to Wembley Park and also the Bakerloo and National Rail to North Wembley/Wembley Central. 

There are probably buses as well and you can probably drive and park nearby also. 

In terms of rail, getting back from Hampden to Fife and other places following a midweek international isn't easy either. Get out sharp or you've had it, basically. I used to drive to Linlithgow for the train to make sure I got back.

49 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Wembley transport links are pish.

I doubt you can get out of Wembley and get a train back to anywhere north of Birmingham midweek.

Manchester and Leeds are do-able but you'd be worried about missing the connections if you get stuck in a queue. 

6 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

In terms of pubs round Hampden, there is the stuff around Clockwork / Florida Park right at the west end. Montford and Beechwood at the Eastern End.  Other than that stuff about old Victoria and Battlefield inc Church on the Hill is 10-15mins. The ones on Vicky Road are 20 mins or a train hop. The Shawlands Cross stuff is 25 mins, Allison Arms/ Strathbungo stuff about the same. TBF never found a quiet pub around a busy football ground on a matchday- less so when 50K people are there! 

Hampden isn't that hard to get to either- the motorway is nearby. There are loads of buses on either side. There is Kings Park / Mount Florida / Cathcart stations. City Centre stations are at worst an hour walk and they don't queue you like Haymarket does! 

3 hours ago, IainMorton said:

Gets on my nerves when people who live further afield say it’s difficult to get to Hampden. Its slap bang in the middle (almost...) of the biggest city in Scotland. What do they want? A stadium right on their doorstep? 

Everyone from Glasgow on here was absolutely shiting it at the prospect of not having it right on there doorstep, with many proclaiming they wouldn't go to home games anymore if it was at Murrayfield. 

Fact of the matter is, it is difficult to get home from Hampden if you live further away and want to have a pint, Murrayfield was absolutely better connected in that regard, with much better things in the vicinity with regards to drinking etc. 

28 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Hampden isn't that hard to get to either- the motorway is nearby. There are loads of buses on either side. There is Kings Park / Mount Florida / Cathcart stations. City Centre stations are at worst an hour walk and they don't queue you like Haymarket does! 

Aye, but if you wanted to walk an hour you could have gotten to Waverley in plenty time. 

It's an interesting twist with people from Glasgow, telling everyone else how simple it is to get back from Glasgow, even if they happen to be telling people who are evidently a bit wiser to the subject than them, bless their little weegie socks. 

4 hours ago, TurbineTon said:

Stay and redevelop it. 

SFA has landed the bargain of the century - got Hampden, got rid of Queen's Park, all for £2.5M and assuming some paper liabilities with Willie Haughey chipping-in another £2.5M.

However I doubt there'll be redevelopment of the stadium itself, as this seems to make clear:

SFA chief executive Ian Maxwell has promised that the body will now look at improving the stadium, which has been criticised by supporters during the process.

"Our mission is to inspire a nation to love the game and having a home that we can call our own is an important part of that," he said.

"While we are now committed to Hampden Park we also recognise that it needs to change. We have heard the fans' views throughout the process and agree with them that we need to improve access, transport links and the overall experience. We are committed to doing that.

"With that in mind, we need all of Scotland to pull together to make it Scotland's national stadium. We have heard many voice their support for the stadium. We need collective action, driven by the Scottish FA, to ensure it remains the beating heart of Scottish football."

3 hours ago, sjc said:

:lol: Dream on! The sale price is actually £19m when the previous outstanding redevelopment costs are added. You'll get what you've got for the considerable time being!

They'll need to bung the SRU for playing along as well.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

14 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

It's an interesting twist with people from Glasgow, telling everyone else how simple it is to get back from Glasgow, even if they happen to be telling people who are evidently a bit wiser to the subject than them, bless their little weegie socks. 

I'm not from Glasgow and to get back to Paisley, we always went back through Glasgow from Hampden- either by bus or train. It wasn't that difficult. 

You'd think Hampden was on the fucking moon by the way some people complain. 

There's no way Hampden will be getting redone. It would simply cost far too much. £50M? £100M? f**k knows but it would not be cheap.

How could this money be raised? Remember it's the SFA who would have to do this. Can you imagine them trying to pitch this? Folk might say the government but there is no reason why they should. They 100% should not. If the government had that sort of cash, either government, they should be building facilities across the country and otherwise investing in grassroots sport.

Remember as well that if the SFA were to ever somehow get the cash that they, the SFA, would be in charge of any redevelopment. A horrible gang of prehistoric cretins who not only don't understand the game and what fans want, but don't care. They'd probably just spunk it all on plush new offices and upgrading the corporate sections.

I don’t know how much to read into that. Part of the “experience” is the cheap crap seating and poor views. The SFA has very little say, I would imagine in development of transport links, whereas everything inside the stadium - atmosphere, catering, facilities - is their domain.

A final point, I like Ian Maxwell, but he’s speaking nonsense if he’s claiming the SFA listens to fan opinions.

I'm not from Glasgow and to get back to Paisley, we always went back through Glasgow from Hampden- either by bus or train. It wasn't that difficult. 
You'd think Hampden was on the fucking moon by the way some people complain. 

While people from Paisley insisting it’s not just another part of Glasgow is usually merely a laudable expression of civic pride it‘s somewhat disingenuous in this context

It’s reassuring to hear talk of being the ends closer, but that would still leave the south stand a good distance from the pitch and the whole stadium in general would still be far too shallow.

I didn’t want to move to Murrayfield but it’s going to take more than just moving the ends closer to make Hampden a decent stadium.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

It’s reassuring to hear talk of being the ends closer, but that would still leave the south stand a good distance from the pitch and the whole stadium in general would still be far too shallow.

I didn’t want to move to Murrayfield but it’s going to take more than just moving the ends closer to make Hampden a decent stadium.

The 'lowering the pitch' idea (assuming the burn under Hampden can be accommodated/engineered around) could allow us to extend the south stand down and closer to the pitch