Was that Hampden's last hurrah?

HibeeJibee

After devoting 5 pages to last night's qualifier, I was surprised to see a double-page article in today's Scotsman that last night might well have been the last-ever World Cup qualifier at Hampden; subject to any playoff next month, of course... There had been previous tabloid rumours of moves to leave the National Stadium, when the lease comes up for renewal in 2020; but apparently it's actually being taken forward as a serious proposal, with the SFA having written to its members for their views before deciding at the end of the season.

Some clubs - unnamed - are apparently concerned that it'll cost too much to maintain and should be abandoned. That said SFA makes a healthy sum from internationals, and hosting SFs, Finals, and other events... plus of course rentals would have to be paid to use other grounds?

International qualifiers (and presumably cup finals and most SFs) would be played at Ibrox and Parkhead; with international friendlies (and presumably a few SFs) able to go to Easter Road, Tynecastle and Pittodrie or the new Aberdeen stadium. Murrayfield is also mentioned by the journalist but coldwater had previously been poured on that IIRC.

Still it's not a new subject but seemingly now looking more a "real prospect" v "theoretical musing"?

Scotsman piece: http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/life-in-hampden-yet-as-old-stadium-serenades-heroes-1-4579576

Times/other thread:

1 minute ago, MEADOWXI said:

For these qualifiers for Scotland, of the ten I will make 7  (4 home and 3 away).

Would rather not go to Scotland games than see the SFA funnel more money into the Bigot Brothers pockets by having them host Scotland games and cup semis and finals.

Till a solution is found that involves that not happening they should stay at Hampden.

Agreed . Certainly wouldnt be going to any Scotland game at Ibrox or Celtic Park

Celtic Park and Ibrox are much better football stadiums. I've enjoyed attending Scotland games more when away from Hampden.

I'd be all for bulldozing Hampden and starting again tbh.

3 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Celtic Park and Ibrox are much better football stadiums. I've enjoyed attending Scotland games more when away from Hampden.

I'd be all for bulldozing Hampden and starting again tbh.

That of course is subjective. Personally  I prefer Hampden and don't particularly like either Ibrox or Celtic Park. Then again I've only attended as an away fan. 

What would be cheaper - converting Hampden to get that better viewing experience, or just sacking it and starting again?

We’ve been having a similar debate on the killie fans site, someone who has been involved in stadium builds gave a benchmark figure of £1,000 per seat, multiply that up to your required size

Is there not scope to redevelop Hampden to make it a better viewing experience? 

Fully agree, it’s a good location but as a venue it’s awful. Even music concerts are poor.
I did enjoy the commonwealth games athletics in there.

Pretty much was MeadowXI said. I don't like Hampden, but pumping more money towards Rangers and Celtic isn't a good alternative. Murrayfield, despite having better transport links, is pretty much the same in terms of viewing angles and stuff as Hampden IMO. It'd be great to rebuild it, or start again in a new location, but I have absolutely no idea where the money would come from to do that.

Knock it down and rebuild.  Steeper stands and closer to the pitch. Use Murrayfield for Finals for a year or 2 while building going on. Scotland internationals in mean time can be played around country depending on level of opponent. Ibrox and parkhead for big ones and easter road, tynecastle, pittodrie or rugby park for smaller ones. 

Agreed . Certainly wouldnt be going to any Scotland game at Ibrox or Celtic Park

Don’t know what team you support and this isn’t a dig just a straight up question - if your team made it to the Scottish Cup final and it was at one of these two stadiums would you also avoid going?

There must be scope to bring the areas behind the goals closer to the park and make both stands steeper.  As it is the place is horrible for watching a game.

There probably is. But where is the money going to come from to redevelop Hampden? Moving games around the country is probably the most feasible option.

39 minutes ago, ftk said:

There probably is. But where is the money going to come from to redevelop Hampden? Moving games around the country is probably the most feasible option.

Makes sense. Sell the land for property development like Highbury but on a larger scale in what is a marketable area in Glasgow and invest the money in grass roots football. Hampden is shite as an all-seater.