Rise of Astro Pitches

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 05/10/2017 at 12:00, paddymcp said:

Should never be near the top league in Scotland. Games are shit too watch with the unreliable bounce for a start. Makes the game look amatauerish. If you can't make your club sunstainable without a plastic pitch in the top flight you probably shouldn't be there.

The ball on a 3 G pitch does not have an unreliable bounce. The pitches are tested for that. Grass pitches though are unpredictable and change with the weather. I have saw many great games on plastic pitches and many bad ones on grass. A perfect grass pitch will always be the best but in Scotland playing through the winter they are hard to find. 

Yeh grass is much better because players just never get injuries on grass pitches I mean just look at that injury list of Livi/Hamilton/ Killie players compared to ...well, let's say Celtic/ Hearts . :rolleyes:

42 minutes ago, orco said:

Yeh grass is much better because players just never get injuries on grass pitches I mean just look at that injury list of Livi/Hamilton/ Killie players compared to ...well, let's say Celtic/ Hearts . :rolleyes:

Ironically 2 of our long term injuries happened from last season playing on grass. 

On Thursday, October 05, 2017 at 07:00, Ross Forbes said:

Imo they'll all be ripped up within the next decade or so when my generation start hobbling about everywhere. My brother's physio was saying that he notices a totally different range of injuries in young sportspeople playing on Astro - mainly hip and knee injuries from the lack of relief in it. My back can't seem to deal with it either.

It's fine for training - probably better than grass actually - but it's murder for games. 

My understanding is that it's not the surface that's the issue, but the material underneath that can cause the kind of problems that you're describing. I'd imagine that'll be the next thing to be addressed, but I definitely think they're here to stay.

Perhaps the debate will at least move on in the next couple of decades - even if it was only far enough to get past Alan Preston simply sticking his fingers in his ears.

This isn't a case of me being a Kilmarnock supporter either. From an aesthetic perspective I'd like us to return to grass - but I think more and more will move to a synthetic surface as the years go by.

5 hours ago, Romeo said:

Any Livingston supporters willing to admit their pitch is a complete shit show?

Or is it a case of defend it to the death?

Could you ellaborate on 'shit show', please? I mean your specific measures. I'd prefer we had a grass pitch because I think it looks nicer.

I always go back to the point about whether people are really separating the aesthetic from the performance.

Aesthetic

You can't beat the sight of a good grass pitch during a sunny day in May, IMO! There are some months where  grass pitches look a bit shabby.

I'd prefer to see grass than black pellets on astro but I don't have a huge problem with them being there. The pellets are annoying when they end up in the house.

Performance

I'm too lazy/don't care enough (yet) to look for any quantitative study but I've yet to see any evidence yet that suggests there is a significant negative change in performance of astro vs grass surface (how do we define 'negative' in this context anyway?); I wouldn't be surprised to read about some difference but I think it might be more consistent on astro e.g. no divets on astro (though more pellet mountains? Hmmm).

Unless they freeze over I generally find that astro holds up well and the same footwear can be used year-round. Incidentally, having weekend games postponed on either surface is a nightmare as the low attendances are further reduced.

In terms of increased incidence of 'severe injuries' on astro, these do not appear to manifest immediately as Livi/Hamilton/Killie can manage to field a team every week. I hardly play on grass these days but I do observe that my lower back doesn't feel to clever during and after current games on astro. I'm defo getting older. It'll be interesting to see how injury type might change with the new surface(s)...

Should really get back to work.

The DR have got a right hardon for Livi's plastic pitch, every other day they're coming out with a story against it, Lewis Morgan is the latest one they've found to support them with their ban astro pitches, apparently all grass pitches run true, that's about as accurate as saying you only get injured on astro pitches. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-winger-lewis-morgan-calls-13621829

The DR have got a right hardon for Livi's plastic pitch, every other day they're coming out with a story against it, Lewis Morgan is the latest one they've found to support them with their ban astro pitches, apparently all grass pitches run true, that's about as accurate as saying you only get injured on astro pitches. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-winger-lewis-morgan-calls-13621829
Maybe he should start criticising his own team's training pitch then. It's the same type of surface to what we have at NDP.

Never saw Morgan moaning to the press when he was playing at Falkirk and Palmerston, indeed I never saw him moaning about playing at eep when it was a complete bog or about the divots, slopes and sandpits that he's played on for nearly throughout his career(admittedly st mirrens pitch is fairly good)

Archived