Rise of Astro Pitches

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

"The union did not ask players at Hamilton, Kilmarnock and Livingston to participate as it thought it would ruin the agenda." Before the edit IMO.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Heard the DR held a survey on Skodas and excluded taxi drivers.

Next week they're doing one on wheelchairs and not including the disabled.

Do you boys reckon all or the majority of players from these teams prefer playing on astro just because it happens to be their teams home surface? I'd bet the majority would prefer to play on grass. 

Just now, Dee Man said:

Do you boys reckon all or the majority of players from these teams prefer playing on astro just because it happens to be their teams home surface? I'd bet the majority would prefer to play on grass. 

Why does it matter what they prefer playing on? No one's saying all plastic pitches are better than all grass pitches. Should we ban every pitch not as good as Liverpool's*? I'd imagine most players would prefer playing on that surface than Motherwell or St Johnstone's. 

Our grass pitch could be in perfect condition at the start of the season but was always a tatty field by December, much better having a plastic pitch knowing it's going to be fine to play on no matter what the weather's been like through the week.

Nothing wrong with plastic pitches, just an easy excuse for managers/players to hide behind after getting pumped.

*Disclaimer: no idea how decent Liverpool's pitch is, but you get the point.

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

We won’t know, because they weren’t asked.

15 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

I always ask the same question when I see people talking about the massive advantage they give home teams.

It's because they disadvantage the away team.

You are welcome.

It's also a massive shock to find the fans of teams with fake grass think they are so brilliant

41 minutes ago, LiviLion said:
On ‎23‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:58, Romeo said:

If fake pitches are so good, why doesn't every team have them now?

I always ask the same question when I see people talking about the massive advantage they give home teams.

I've mixed feelings about synthetic pitches but it looks like they are here to stay particularly at grass roots and lower league level where the option to play in most conditions and generate extra income is a consideration. I agree there is an advantage but I don't think it's massive. No team with an artificial pitch has every won a major competition as far as I am aware but it would be interesting to see some statistics. There are probably some who would argue that playing astro/grass week about is even a disadvantage.

43 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

We'll never know, they weren't asked. But if anyone's opinion should be taken seriously, it's the ones playing on it every other week, that have the most experience.

Talking of being taken seriously, their whole argument is a joke, they have no evidence to back up their accusations on injuries, recovery time, and saying the ball doesn't run/bounce consistently  is just ludicrous, as if every grass pitch produces perfect results on how a ball bounces/runs. If they put this forward as a serious presentation it would be embarrassing.

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

We'll never know, they weren't asked. But if anyone's opinion should be taken seriously, it's the ones playing on it every other week, that have the most experience.

Talking of being taken seriously, their whole argument is a joke, they have no evidence to back up their accusations on injuries, recovery time, and saying the ball doesn't run/bounce consistently  is just ludicrous, as if every grass pitch produces perfect results on how a ball bounces/runs. If they put this forward as a serious presentation it would be embarrassing.

Hardly going to rubbish their own pitch are they?

The PFA statement is incredibly contradictory, they want artificial pitches banned from the top flight but improved in the lower leagues...so they are inadvertently saying that these pitches are absolutely fine to play on ? If they are unsafe then the PFA an association there to protect every player is putting many of its members at risk in the lower leagues ? 

And if one of these clubs upgraded to the best artificial pitch they could on the advice of the PFA at great cost but then gained promotion to the top flight do they then have to scrap the surface that they said was up to standard ? 

The double standards are quite incredible.

Btw there is absolutely no proof that artificial surfaces cause more injuries than grass pitches I found this great article....https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2019/1/7/turf-and-injuries-the-data-hurts

In an ideal world football should be played on grass, I’m not arguing with that but this isn’t an ideal world, football clubs in this country need artificial surfaces, I’m a realist. 

20 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Hardly going to rubbish their own pitch are they?

Again, we'll never know, they weren't asked. But their opinions are far more valid than those not playing regularly on them. And if you are going down the biased argument of not rubbishing your own club's pitch, then the same could be said of the grass pitch club players, and are you saying if their club got artificial pitch their opinions would change to wanting to play on them?

Seems an easy solution if that's the case, get artificial pitches put down at every club then, and there would be no objection to them, sorted.

19 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Again, we'll never know, they weren't asked. But their opinions are far more valid than those not playing regularly on them. And if you are going down the biased argument of not rubbishing your own club's pitch, then the same could be said of the grass pitch club players, and are you saying if their club got artificial pitch their opinions would change to wanting to play on them?

Seems an easy solution if that's the case, get artificial pitches put down at every club then, and there would be no objection to them, sorted.

World cup final on an artificial pitch then?

There is no evidence whatsoever that artificial pitches cause more injuries. The difference is that when a player gets injured on one the pitch is put down as a contributing factor, but when they occur on grass pitches that is never raised as a potential cause. I suffered a serious knee injury when I was younger, while playing on a grass pitch. This was never blamed, if it had been an artificial one I'm sure people would have suggested that as a factor.

The problem is that when people say grass pitches are better they are assuming that by a grass pitch we are taking about the Emirates or Anfield. When in reality you are talking about ploughed fields like Stair Park, or rotten pitches from November to February even the top league in Scotland. If you ask a top flight player would they rather play on Kilmarnock/Hamilton/Livingston's pitch, or Stranrear's grass pitch, the vast majority would go for the artificial one.

The other thing is we have a whole generation of youngsters who have barely kicked a ball on a grass pitch before. If you're taken in by a pro club at 11/12 and go through the system until you are 18 you play almost entirely on artificial pitches. So if we are seriously saying that artificial pitches are an issue then we are in real trouble because we have an entire generation coming through who have done  nothing but play on these pitches. Similarly, Iceland's recent successes were built entirely on artificial pitches as their climate makes grass unsuitable, unless I've missed it I've not noticed their players having injury issues due to years of these pitches.

The 'argument' for grass pitches doesn't stand up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny.

1 hour ago, Romeo said:

It's because they disadvantage the away team.

You are welcome.

It's also a massive shock to find the fans of teams with fake grass think they are so brilliant

Some teams that play on grass have narrower pitches to suit their style of play. Should that be banned too?

The PFA statement is incredibly contradictory, they want artificial pitches banned from the top flight but improved in the lower leagues...so they are inadvertently saying that these pitches are absolutely fine to play on ? If they are unsafe then the PFA an association there to protect every player is putting many of its members at risk in the lower leagues ? 
And if one of these clubs upgraded to the best artificial pitch they could on the advice of the PFA at great cost but then gained promotion to the top flight do they then have to scrap the surface that they said was up to standard ? 
The double standards are quite incredible.
Btw there is absolutely no proof that artificial surfaces cause more injuries than grass pitches I found this great article....https://www.americansocceranalysis.com/home/2019/1/7/turf-and-injuries-the-data-hurts
In an ideal world football should be played on grass, I’m not arguing with that but this isn’t an ideal world, football clubs in this country need artificial surfaces, I’m a realist. 
Far too sensible a post!!

Archived