Rise of Astro Pitches

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

There have been studies carried out on the women’s game (where most top level matches are played on artificial turf) and it was found that there was a slightly higher incidence of ligamental injuries in knees, but I can’t remember if it was then attributed to the structural difference in females and the way their weight is distributed or the pitch itself.

ETA: here’s a BBC report on it from a wee while ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29505871

There's been loads of studies. The ex Airdrie physio Mick Mclaughlin did one, which I can't find now, but if I remember correctly there was evidence that it was important to wear the right boots, which some players hadn't done. 

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There have been studies carried out on the women’s game (where most top level matches are played on artificial turf) and it was found that there was a slightly higher incidence of ligamental injuries in knees, but I can’t remember if it was then attributed to the structural difference in females and the way their weight is distributed or the pitch itself.

ETA: here’s a BBC report on it from a wee while ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/29505871

USA study was done and they found there was a statistically higher risk of short term layoffs due to ankle twists on plastic versus grass but not long term knee injuries.

I will add his was purely based on American football if I recall correctly.

Plastic pitches are here to stay unless the SFA say otherwise, in regards to grass pitches are we going to say to clubs with slopes it needs to be fixed, clubs not be allowed to water pitches at half time because it will change the bounce of the ball and cause an unfair advantage, of course not because that would be idiotic, just glad nobody died yesterday after playing on the death trap.

Plastic pitches are here to stay unless the SFA say otherwise, in regards to grass pitches are we going to say to clubs with slopes it needs to be fixed, clubs not be allowed to water pitches at half time because it will change the bounce of the ball and cause an unfair advantage, of course not because that would be idiotic, just glad nobody died yesterday after playing on the death trap.

Think how many goals we could have scored on a decent pitch.

48 minutes ago, Killie87 said:

Rodgers said in the pre-match interview yesterday he didn't play someone (Jo Jo?) as he can't play on astro. How fragile are some players that they can't play on an artificial surface for 90 minutes? Also, I'm pretty certain Lennoxtown is astro so what is the guy training on?

14 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Rodgers said in the pre-match interview yesterday he didn't play someone (Jo Jo?) as he can't play on astro. How fragile are some players that they can't play on an artificial surface for 90 minutes? Also, I'm pretty certain Lennoxtown is astro so what is the guy training on?

Simunovic wasn't it?

Maybe he saw him train on astro all week and "can't play on astro" meant he's shite on it rather than risking injury?

Archived