Rise of Astro Pitches

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Derek Johnstone's argument against them on Radio Clyde last night was that he played on the very first one in senior football at QPR and it was terrible. That was the mid 70's
McDiarmid Park's first training pitch was horrendous if you fell or slid on it. Basically like a scouring pad. Great for passing football though. That must have been back in the very late 80's that I played on it.

What they have now is a cracking training ground.

59 minutes ago, Loonytoons said:

McDiarmid Park's first training pitch was horrendous if you fell or slid on it. Basically like a scouring pad. Great for passing football though. That must have been back in the very late 80's that I played on it.

What they have now is a cracking training ground.

Saints don't train on the astro now, unless weather forces it.

Just now, LiviLion said:

Wonder how many 'grass' pitches get random, unannounced spot checks :lol:

It's a disgrace, really. They'll happily let games on grass be called off 10 minutes before kick off, yet do this for plastic.

The SFA, SPFL, and clubs forcing this should maybe focus their attention on the falling crowds instead of this witch hunt.

I don't think they understand that a public campaign decrying a quarter of the pitches in the top flight as being unable to have a "good game of football" on it is going to impact on the more casual, idiotic, fan and whether they'll attend games. 

The astro itself, followed by the grade/quality whatever have presumably been approved by the SFA and the SPFL for installation.

Since this is the first "random check" I can ever think of hearing about, one of two things is happening... These checks have been happening all alomg as part of quality assurance measures stipulated upon approval of these pitches for use in the league (unlikely)

OR.... The authorities are once again cow-towing to ill informed, media driven bullshit and are belittling and undermining clubs who acted with complete approval in installing their pitches to try and look as if they are doing something (what it is they are trying to look like they are doing.... who fucking knows)

What they should be doing is telling the idiot players who are firing petitions about the place that they have their right to an opinion, but unless they can present full and comprehensive evidence that these pitches are demonstrably the actual root cause of actual physical harm, they can politely f**k off.

Clubs are being mugged off here and the SPFL are pandering to it.

1 minute ago, Loonytoons said:

Did not know that. Fair few teams do though.

They used too, tbf. We got a grass training pitch built beside the stadium by the council, in exchange for letting them build a road that encroaches on St Johnstones land.

On 16/02/2019 at 00:09, pandarilla said:

There's a certain pedantic nature to posts on here defending plastic pitches, which is arguably as annoying as the views of ex-players who can't form a coherent argument against them.

I think there's a serious debate to be had, and you have to balance the financing of Scottish football against the quality of the product on show.

I do not like plastic pitches, but they are only one of numerous factors involved in a game of football.

The bounce is weird, and I certainly miss the good old fashioned slide tackles on a wet pitch (which quite clearly endanger players as much as any plastic pitch but undoubtedly add a level of enjoyment for me).

The bounce is weird? On what artificial pitches? What areas? And compared to what grass pitch?

Also can you give an example or two?

I've seen 'weird' bounces on loads of pitches. 

29 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The bounce is weird? On what artificial pitches? What areas? And compared to what grass pitch?

Also can you give an example or two?

I've seen 'weird' bounces on loads of pitches. 

Most of the 'weird' bounces are because of the spin on the ball and nothing to do with the surface. Only actually a problem when it's on plastic though, that's the only time it's because of the surface.

Most of the 'weird' bounces are because of the spin on the ball and nothing to do with the surface. Only actually a problem when it's on plastic though, that's the only time it's because of the surface.
Gtaf. You honestly think that the ball bounces the same on astro as grass? It really does not.

Just now, Lebowski said:
5 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Gtaf. You honestly think that the ball bounces the same on astro as grass? It really does not.

What grass pitch(es)?

What artificial pitch(es)?

And, always, any examples?

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:
7 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

You honestly think the ball bounces the exact same on every single grass pitch? It really does not.

Archived