Rise of Astro Pitches

Examples yet?
This is why you're being called a troll. You evade and refuse to back things up, instead replying only to certain parts of posts.
Typical troll behaviour.
What about all your examples.?

The examples that don't exist.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assume that if/when we go to play Summer football every club will have to go to a plastic pitch unless there is some way to lay a grass pitch in mid November so that its ready for use in early February

7 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I assume that if/when we go to play Summer football every club will have to go to a plastic pitch unless there is some way to lay a grass pitch in mid November so that its ready for use in early February

Theres summer leagues with similar climates with grass pitches, its not an issue.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Can someone tell me why everyone doesn't have the same grass pitch as the best grass pitch?

If all grass pitches are as good as the best one that is?

The state of this.....

There's a certain pedantic nature to posts on here defending plastic pitches, which is arguably as annoying as the views of ex-players who can't form a coherent argument against them.

I think there's a serious debate to be had, and you have to balance the financing of Scottish football against the quality of the product on show.

I do not like plastic pitches, but they are only one of numerous factors involved in a game of football.

The bounce is weird, and I certainly miss the good old fashioned slide tackles on a wet pitch (which quite clearly endanger players as much as any plastic pitch but undoubtedly add a level of enjoyment for me).

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Without resorting to the media cliches (read; lies and bullshit) can you explain why games on an artificial pitch are worse, with perhaps a couple of examples?

I've seen numerous games on artificial pitches, some of which were shite, but none of which were shite due to the pitch. I don't even register that it's an artificial pitch once the game starts. I outright forgot that Falkirk have one both times we played there this season.

^^^^^

This.

I watch Forfar home and away pretty much over the whole season (well, when I'm not watching Sevco on the telly obviously).  I've never thought "we're clearly playing on grass today, our style of football and the bounce are obviously different".  Cliftonhill being the exception for all the wrong reasons.  Has it improved this season?

I'd rather we played on grass but current artificial pitches are excellent.

9 hours ago, Romeo said:
9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Without resorting to the media cliches (read; lies and bullshit) can you explain why games on an artificial pitch are worse, with perhaps a couple of examples?
I've seen numerous games on artificial pitches, some of which were shite, but none of which were shite due to the pitch. I don't even register that it's an artificial pitch once the game starts. I outright forgot that Falkirk have one both times we played there this season.

The ball bounces like a bouncy ball, depending on how the pitch has been prepared the ball either moves at the speed of light or twice the speed of light, the pitches look shite.

Weren't the Celtic fans/players/management moaning about the ball holding up on the pitch? Just shows people are having an uneducated stab at picking faults in the pitch

Glenn Middleton - "plastic pitches are as dangerous as ash parks"

Minutes Middleton has played on plastic pitches in his senior career - 24 

:lol:

This whole thing is fucking pathetic. Anyone who thinks they have any right to demand what other clubs do is a fucking moron, and I include my own clubs manager and players in that. Is a plastic park any more "embarrassing" than having 50k folk screeching 150 year old songs at each other?

On 2/21/2016 at 08:48, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah, he broke his leg in 2005 then went eight years without any other major knee injuries until he played on St Mirrens plastic pitch, then he was out for virtually four months. He came back, played a game or two on it and was in constant pain after every game on plastic. Took the Summer off to recover and hope that healed itself with time. Next season played away to Hamilton, exact same pain, struggled through the next two games but the pain never left so he had to get another operation ruling him out for the three months.

Surgeon told him to never play on plastic again as its that that caused the problems that stayed with him. You can argue as much as you want but he hes 33 and has had two serious knee injuries in the space of two years, yet since hes stopped playing on plastic he's not had a single bit of bother with his knee.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Glenn Middleton - "plastic pitches are as dangerous as ash parks"

Minutes Middleton has played on plastic pitches in his senior career - 24 

:lol:

This whole thing is fucking pathetic. Anyone who thinks they have any right to demand what other clubs do is a fucking moron, and I include my own clubs manager and players in that. Is a plastic park any more "embarrassing" than having 50k folk screeching 150 year old songs at each other?

Two interesting viewpoints from Random guy here, plastic pitches are pretty bad in the first post and a u turn in the second post...

8 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Two posts, three years apart, you're getting into WTM territory here.

His first post is a well thought out post and really can't be argued with.

His second post tho appears to be him jumping on a bandwagon. The downside of Random guy.

12 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Two posts, three years apart, you're getting into WTM territory here.

He already is, I wake up to swathes of notifications every morning as he seems to spend his nights red dotting all my posts, purely because I put him on ignore. Probably explains how hes findings three year old posts...

FWIW I still don't like plastic pitches, my point was that nobody has the right to tell other clubs what they should be doing. This type of peer pressure led to the 10k rule.

There is of course an agenda behind this shit.

It's the same one that finds the presence of relatively small clubs like Livingston and Hamilton in the top flight distasteful.  There's no coincidence in the relationship between a negative perception of their presence and the focus on aesthetics among some of the more pitiful 'arguments' we're hearing.

As others have said, players voting for ways to make full time football less economically viable, are just being stupid.  However, that's precisely what most of them are.

Part of me feels like some people believe artificial pitches haven't moved on from the 1st gen horror shows of the 80s (based on my reading they were very bad)

Derek Johnstone's argument against them on Radio Clyde last night was that he played on the very first one in senior football at QPR and it was terrible. That was the mid 70's

21 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Derek Johnstone's argument against them on Radio Clyde last night was that he played on the very first one in senior football at QPR and it was terrible. That was the mid 70's

Not quite, but the point still stands.

QPR installed their pitch in 1981 and it survived until 1988.

I'm intrigued by Johnstone's recollections, mind.  Any fixture he played there must have been a friendly.  He was at Chelsea during the relevant years, but only played 4 times, none of them against QPR. 

If I ever find myself on the same side as Johnstone, in any debate ever, I'll urgently re-assess.

Archived