Non League Day

HibeeJibee

With the Scotland games Thu-Sun and the only first-class football south of the Tay on Saturday being 2 Irn Bru Cup ties at Falkirk and St Mirren, there should be good crowds in the Lowland + EOS leagues this weekend - particularly with a full program of derby matches.

Lowland also participating in the 'Non League Day' scheme, which promotes non-league football across Great Britain on an international weekend each autumn.

Hats off especially to Vale of Leithen - they are providing pre-match "behind the scenes tours" and "meet the players", adults half price when accompanied by a child (I've not got that the wrong way around!), and SPFL season ticket holders also half price:

http://valeofleithen.co.uk/uncategorized/non-league-day-2017/

http://valeofleithen.co.uk/uncategorized/non-league-day-2017-supporting-grass-roots-football/

With 14 games scheduled, this Saturday is also the biggest-ever non-league derby day. (Mirror of card at New Year is a week apart due to EOSL's brief Christmas break). It's interesting to see how the shape of the derbies has morphed as clubs have moved in and out of the leagues, or up and down the divisions. Recreation Park hosts first-ever Fife derby in EOSL or pyramid history.

2015-16                     2016-17                      2017-18

Edin Univ v Stir Univ       Stir Univ v Edin Univ        Edin Univ v Stir Univ

Dalbeattie v Threave        Dalbeattie v Gretna              Gretna v Dalbeattie

Selkirk v Gala               Hawick v Gala                Hawick v Gala

Vale of L v Gretna          Vale of L v Selkirk          Vale of L v Selkirk

Edin City v Spartans        Whitehill v Spartans          Spartans v Whitehill

Whitehill v Preston          Civil SS v Preston           Civil SS v BSCG

Cumbernauld v East Kilb     Cumbernauld v East Kilb      Cumbernauld v East Stir

(BSCG idle)            East Stir v BSCG             East Kilb v Edusport

Stir Un EOS v H-Watt Uni     Stir Un EOS v H-Watt Uni

Peebles v Coldstream      Coldstream v Peebles

Tweedmouth v Eyemouth          Eyemouth v Tweedmouth

LTHV v Tynecastle      Tynecastle v Leith

Burntisland v Leith          Burntisland v Kelty

(Ormiston idle)            Ormiston v Preston

(LTHV idle)

There's No really any clash though for your casual fan, as  these games are on Saturday afternoon, while Scotland  play on Thursday and Sunday nights.

Unless you're tartan army and actually interested in travelling to watch Scotland play away in slovenia!!! Each to their own I suppose!

Edited by Tenkay

19 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

With the Scotland games Thu-Sun and the only first-class football south of the Tay on Saturday being 2 Irn Bru Cup ties at Falkirk and St Mirren, there should be good crowds in the Lowland + EOS leagues this weekend - particularly with a full program of derby matches.

Yes, a good opportunity to take in some Lowland League action this weekend. Looking forward to it!

I'm not sure which game though,  Obviously Spartans vs W W is there,  but Civil Service v BSC  could be tasty as well.

3 hours ago, Tenkay said:

There's No really any clash though for your casual fan, as  these games are on Saturday afternoon, while Scotland  play on Thursday and Sunday nights.

Unless you're tartan army and actually interested in travelling to watch Scotland play away in slovenia!!! Each to their own I suppose!

No sure why you're  being a smart arse  aboot someone that follows the national team.. There's quite a few of us at non league level. It is allowed you know!!

2 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

No sure why you're  being a smart arse  aboot someone that follows the national team.. There's quite a few of us at non league level. It is allowed you know!!

Mr Broon, seems like I've upset you unintentionally, so apologies! 

I was merely posting MY OWN VIEWS, about my dislike of international football.

As someone who wouldn't even be interested in a FREE ticket for an international match at Hampden, I find paying out to go abroad mystifying.

However, I quite understand the tartan army members DO enjoy the banter, so fair enough, as I said, each to their own. Have a good trip  Sir!

Tomorrow's fixtures seem to be all vaguely local derbies (plus the tax dodgers bout between Edinburgh and Stirling Yoonies) except for the Spartans Toonies v the Village People match. I know this is a keenly fought fixture between Lowland League also rans but surely Spartans should have been playing nearest rivals Strollers?

Shire could have played the Alloa based BSC "Glasgow" and there could have been a New Town derby between Cumbernauld and Kilby, leaving the battle of the "English as a second language" teams Edusport and Whitehill.. :P

Good crowd at Hawick. It would probably have been better still if Hawick and Hawick YM rugby clubs hadn't been at home alongside, tbf, which was unlucky.

Gala had more possession and many more chances and so probably deserved their win. However the goals came late... Gullane drove in a low effort from the left edge of the box about 75min, then their captain popped in a cute freekick shortly before FT.

Hawick looked resilient and will feel themselves unfortunate not to have held-out. Certainly no sign of a team taking scudding only a few weeks ago.

Interesting match-up next Sunday as Hawick (bottom of LL) visit Tweedmouth (bottom of EOSL) in EOS Qualifying Cup.

• 1 year later...

Noticed this is again down for the upcoming international weekend, 12th October 2019. Thought the fixtures were looking a bit bare with only 11 scheduled on the EOS website but realised the 16 South Challenge Cup games hadn't been added to the fixtures!

@HibeeJibee, think you said in another thread the date of non-league day had moved, but looking back I can't see any recent change to the date. Hopefully LL/EOS can schedule league games on this weekend next season to take advantage of it.

_41601334_potnoodle_203.jpg

It was unexpectedly moved 2yrs ago, from Sep to Oct, to suit English internationals and scheduling without consulting other interests. Presumably it could end-up in Sep or Nov next year.

In practice everyone has games except Berwick/Dalbeattie/Vale + Crossgates + Ormiston.