St Johnstone v Rangers, Friday 13th October 2017

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently a bit of trouble involving rangers fans trying to get into the home end, anyone else hear this?

They seemingly managed to walk into the East Stand and start scrapping with folk at the scoreboard end.

I expect we'll end up fined over it, obviously.

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Tommy, one of the best mangers in the league?

If your team has one of the smallest budgets in the league yet consistently finishes in the top 6 then the coaching team probably has a lot to do with it.

8 hours ago, Romeo said:

He won't see the season out.

If he doesn't it'll because he gets a move to a bigger club or takes over the Northern Ireland job. I presume that's what you're hinting at because if you're suggesting he's not one of the best managers in the league and is likely to get the sack then you're on glue. 

Thought there was nothing in the game until the red card, which can't be complained about. Don Robertson handled the game well. Our final ball wasn't of the quality provided for the three Rangers goals but I didn't think it was dreadful, I actually felt they defended pretty well and cut out a lot, maybe highlighted by the fact we won 17 corners. Would have liked to see a bit more variety from those opportunities to try and test a zonal marking system.

The shape and structure of the team was much more like what you'd expect from Saints and was containing Rangers pretty well before the sending off. Great ball from Tavernier for the opener. You could probably pick fault in the vast majority of goals conceded from crosses, if you choose to focus on that. Another great ball for the second goal but it's a different game with Comrie and Thomson making up the right-hand side of the defence. I thought Comrie did alright before having to step in one and linked up pretty well with Scougall, who had a good game. I think he'll leave Saints a better player than the one that arrived but just hope we can get the best out of him.

David Wotherspoon said after the game at Pittodrie that if we played like that each week we'd lose every game we played; last night night was the kind of reaction I hoped to see.

8 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I actually thought Cummins played well tonight, ran the channels & hassled defenders non stop.

Final ball was an issue but maybe if we had a shot rather than try to walk the ball in we'd have more success.

I watch other teams shooting from various positions. We don't tend to do much of that.

2 minutes ago, Radford said:

Thought there was nothing in the game until the red card, which can't be complained about. Don Robertson handled the game well. Our final ball wasn't of the quality provided for the three Rangers goals but I didn't think it was dreadful, I actually felt they defended pretty well and cut out a lot, maybe highlighted by the fact we won 17 corners. Would have liked to see a bit more variety from those opportunities to try and test a zonal marking system.

The shape and structure of the team was much more like what you'd expect from Saints and was containing Rangers pretty well before the sending off. Great ball from Tavernier for the opener. You could probably pick fault in the vast majority of goals conceded from crosses, if you choose to focus on that. Another great ball for the second goal but it's a different game with Comrie and Thomson making up the right-hand side of the defence. I thought Comrie did alright before having to step in one and linked up pretty well with Scougall, who had a good game. I think he'll leave Saints a better player than the one that arrived but just hope we can get the best out of him.

David Wotherspoon said after the game at Pittodrie that if we played like that each week we'd lose every game we played; last night night was the kind of reaction I hoped to see.

That's a generally positive tone. While I agree with what you've said, I can't see beyond our current striking difficulties. The obvious frailties in defence we can address.

Spot on. Do not get the knicker wetting over last night. Up until the end I was positive the leveller was coming. Controlled the ball really well. Impressed with comrie and scougall down the right. Some of their play reminded me of mackay and millar when they both played those roles. Adding MOH next week will instantly make us a better team and hopefully add that little bit of magic we are missing in the final third.

Just now, perthsaint1977 said:

Spot on. Do not get the knicker wetting over last night. Up until the end I was positive the red was coming. Controlled the ball really well. Impressed with comrie and scougall down the right. Some of their play reminded me of mackay and millar when they both played those roles. Adding MOH next week will instantly make us a better team and hopefully add that little bit of magic we are missing in the final third.

Agree with this too. Only problem is the length of MOH's stay. If he goes in January we are left bereft of any decent striking options. I wonder what plans we have to remedy this.

I think folk are probably disappointed that we failed, again, to get a result against a side who have been no better than us. The difference this time is that we didn't sit off them.

You usually expect players in that number ten role to be skillful and creative. It's unusual to see a player like Pena there but if he can finish chances like he did last night then maybe he'll get away with it. I'm sceptical though.

Thought Alves was imperious. Would the result have been the same if he wasn't available? I'm not convinced.

You usually expect players in that number ten role to be skillful and creative. It's unusual to see a player like Pena there but if he can finish chances like he did last night then maybe he'll get away with it. I'm sceptical though.
Thought Alves was imperious. Would the result have been the same if he wasn't available? I'm not convinced.

For everyone bemoaning saints failure in the final third, you have to doff your cap to alves and the other defenders. Time and time again they were in the right position to snuff a cross or a chance out.

5 minutes ago, perthsaint1977 said:

For everyone bemoaning saints failure in the final third, you have to doff your cap to alves and the other defenders. Time and time again they were in the right position to snuff a cross or a chance out.

This. Last season we'd have crumbled if we had to defend around twenty corners (especially during that period of sustained pressure) and leaked goals.

Pedro mentioned that we've spent the international break working on defending, looks like it's working.

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

If he doesn't it'll because he gets a move to a bigger club or takes over the Northern Ireland job. I presume that's what you're hinting at because if you're suggesting he's not one of the best managers in the league and is likely to get the sack then you're on glue. 

He got you and several others biting tho.....

Apparently a bit of trouble involving rangers fans trying to get into the home end, anyone else hear this?

I just saw your "ultras" or singing section sprinting along the stand after the 2nd goal, so I figured something had happened, no idea what though.

Pena is a bit of an enigma.  Looks a bit shit outside the box, but that's 3 cracking goals he's scored for us now inside the box.
Davie John has looked the part at LB.  Don't think Wallace is guaranteed to get back into the team once he's fit.

Young Declan was your best player IMO.

Pena is a bit of an enigma.  Looks a bit shit outside the box, but that's 3 cracking goals he's scored for us now inside the box.

Davie John has looked the part at LB.  Don't think Wallace is guaranteed to get back into the team once he's fit.

Pena looks absolutely fucking dreadful, can't control the ball when he's still, can't control it when he's moving, and seems about five stone overweight.

Midfielders who can make late runs into the box unmarked generally seem to kill teams in this league though, it'll be interesting to see if he does that regularly or if it was more down to our midfield just ignoring him.

FWIW Rangers look a lot better than last season, Alves and Dorrans are an absolutely massive upgrade on what you had last season. Not overly convinced the foreign players are that great, Candeias has pace but doesn't actually seem to use it at all, and Morelas just seems you're bog standard top half striker at this level. Cardoso looks a complete bombscare aswell, and it's stunning how often he had his arms wrapped around folks necks at corners without reprimand, I assume against teams more likely to get penalties he'll be punished.

Pains me to say it, as I despise you c***s, but Rangers look like the third best team in the league this season.

Archived