Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

Really can't be arsed with it anymore and have felt like that for years. 

I started drinking when I was young and got bored of it fairly early around mid twenties. Don't get all the billy big baws hard man culture around it. My uncle went full alky and seeing him in hospital before he died made me stop binge drinking around that time.

I do love a pint and a whisky or two now and again but sometimes due to work or life stress I have several pints and whisky. The next day I feel awful and into the Monday or Tuesday. I would like to experience living in a culture without booze, Scotland isn't doing itself any favours with the drinking culture. I know this sounds high and mighty don't blame anyone for boozing all the time, just seems like such a waste.

3 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Really can't be arsed with it anymore and have felt like that for years. 

I started drinking when I was young and got bored of it fairly early around mid twenties. Don't get all the billy big baws hard man culture around it. My uncle went full alky and seeing him in hospital before he died made me stop binge drinking around that time.

I do love a pint and a whisky or two now and again but sometimes due to work or life stress I have several pints and whisky. The next day I feel awful and into the Monday or Tuesday. I would like to experience living in a culture without booze, Scotland isn't doing itself any favours with the drinking culture. I know this sounds high and mighty don't blame anyone for boozing all the time, just seems like such a waste.

That's another thing I don't get. I don't feel the need to drink in, or after stressful situations or because of work. I drink regularly, but usually only once a week.

Sort the problem and you are entitled to a drink if you feel like it. Drinking because you've got problems only makes it worse.

Drinking alcohol is one of the lives great joys for the masses.   The feeling of returning home after a great, great, great, night out with friends you've not seen in a while.   Laughing uncontrollably because everything is funnier when your 'on it'.    I like to drink around 25 units per week which I normally scoop in 1 sitting.   The rest of the week I can be found golfing, at the gym or driving my car.    Six days off it and one day on it has been my way of things.   

I gave up drinking a couple of years ago.  It was the worst 45 minutes of my life.

Dont understand why the OP needs to 'give up' surely all you need to do is cut down.  I can't imagine the self discipline involved would be much different.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

For those who get hangovers, remember the words of Alfred Garnett. "I feel sorry for people that don't drink. They wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day. 

Over the years, that quote's been attributed to WC Fields, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and Jack Lemmon. And probably 50 years from now, Sergeant Wilson.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I don't get hangovers. The worst I ever feel is tired, as after drinking I think you are nearer to unconscious, than normal sleep. I've largely ignored my coeliac condition when drinking and only Best has any impact in terms of wind and shit. So, I'm not stopping. Since getting in to proper beer, discovering the joy of gin and nice wine I enjoy it too much.

For those who get hangovers, remember the words of Alfred Garnett. "I feel sorry for people that don't drink. They wake up in the morning, that's the best they'll feel all day. 

That's interesting. I've been coeliac since infancy but 25 years of drinking normal beer  has made no difference to me at all. I read all the advice that says beer is off limits and about people allegedly coeliac who supposedly go into meltdown after a mouthful of beer and wonder. I came to the conclusion that brewing removed the gluten. Daura and Peroni gluten free are good,  but really expensive. 

To the OP, stop drinking for a week, do some exercise, you'll then feel smug and motivated and probably stay off it for a month. The next drink after that will be magnificent. 

Been trying to get fitter lately and lost a bit of weight due to a mix of having an active job and eating less shite, but noticed that the ale puts it right back on again and the day after a few beers I'm not worth a damn these days, even if I haven't had that much. Seems age has caught up with me and the days of having a skinfull and feeling fresh as a daisy the next morning are gone, so decided to knock it on the head completely for a bit and see if I can see some improvement in keeping the beer gut off.

I gave up smoking easily, but do enjoy a drink to relax after a busy week, but with two young kids I just can't face being hungover whilst running about after them.

Any other P&Bers ever given up the creature, or is quittin' just not your style?

I stopped 7 weeks ago after 35 years of bevying and it's the best I have felt in my adult life. I've lost weight, have loads of energy and life in general is really good.

I worried about going on nights out but it hasn't been a problem. I honestly don't think I'll ever drink again and wished I'd done it years ago.

5 hours ago, Snobot said:

That's interesting. I've been coeliac since infancy but 25 years of drinking normal beer  has made no difference to me at all. I read all the advice that says beer is off limits and about people allegedly coeliac who supposedly go into meltdown after a mouthful of beer and wonder. I came to the conclusion that brewing removed the gluten. Daura and Peroni gluten free are good,  but really expensive. 

To the OP, stop drinking for a week, do some exercise, you'll then feel smug and motivated and probably stay off it for a month. The next drink after that will be magnificent. 

I think there are degrees of severity. I seem to be almost symptom free apart from iron deficiency . I have drastically cut down on food with gluten, but do give in to temptation. I had much the same thoughts re gluten and beer. Brewdog Vagabond is another good one. My step son who is far worse than me can drink bud (no thanks) and St Mungo Lager.

Used to love a good bev but chucked it a few years ago. Losing endless Sundays to just feeling lethargic and knackered was wearing thin, I really don't think I could go back to being like that. Agree with the point above about Scottish culture and it's relation to alcohol, I would never look down on anyone who chooses to have a tipple to whatever extreme, but the environment doesn't help the folk who depend on it. Each to their own, though.

I gave up drinking a couple of years ago.  It was the worst 45 minutes of my life.
Dont understand why the OP needs to 'give up' surely all you need to do is cut down.  I can't imagine the self discipline involved would be much different.

I don't "need" to give up. I want to.

I am a major piss pot and have been since the age of 18, find it hard to not want to drink every weekend and when I drink I have about a half bottle of red and 4 or 5 beers at least. I am hungover every Monday with it fail and have gotten quite fat with it at various stages of life but I'm quite thin just now because I have been working. Hopefully this child I'm having acts as the swift boot in the balls i need but I can't be sure.

Stopped for a few years, got back on it, stopped again for six months, started again for six months.. 

Off it now (did I mention it). Biggest struggle is sugar cravings. Don't really like being in pubs just now. Doing sports, I find it easier to go hard for longer after a few weeks of no booze.  

Spoiler

300px-KennethWilliams.jpg

Been filling the void left by the booze by finding a nearby gym with punchbags so have been going at least once a day for last couple of weeks. 

Never been able to do moderation so cutting back doesn't appeal.