Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

Jacking it for good after Christmas and only one pint or so until then. I enjoy it but it's just not worth it. The whole Scottish macho drinking culture saddens me. So you can go into a bar and buy a legal produce and drink it. Wow you must be something special. Longest I've gone before was five months or so so I know I can do it for good. With the new price increase its good timing.

Give it until Thursday before making any rash decisions.

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, Nutz_the_Squirrel said:

@Sweet Pete how did this turn out for you?

Also- Some amount of Mitty stories on this thread.  Enjoyed the read.

I still drank for a time afterwards, but haven't recently.  Haven't missed it.

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

He's effectively dead now.

Only on the inside.

• 4 years later...

I’ve just spent a fabulous weekend away up the West Coast with the good lady and the dog. 

The oddity though is that because of a minor health issue and short burst of medication I’ve done it stone cold sober and not a drop of the demon drink has passed my lips. I had rather feared that might have dampened the whole event but actually, quite the contrary, we’ve all had a great time. 

Probably the first weekend in my adult life that I’ve gone without a drink and, honestly, didn’t miss it. Maybe goes to show just how much of a lazy habit it can be.

The (my) world has changed a lot in the last couple of years and I’m nowhere near as often in a pub these days and thinking it might be an idea to use this short hiatus as a springboard to cut out the home drinking too. 

Dunno, just spitballing an idea. Will see if it gains traction…

I've not had a drop since April, before that my last beer was a session during a trip home, which due to drinking so little in the last few years resulted in a hangover the proportions of which I had never experienced before off so few drinks. I've always been a binge drinker, even after leaving Scotland I would usually have weekend sessions 2 or 3 times a month at least, the last 3 years that has only happened when I have managed to make it home, and after the last one I'm not sure I can be fucked with it now. Think I will just pack in the bevvy altogether to be honest.

5 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Closing in on four years. Mostly been okay. Occasionally feel a bit sorry for myself that on a nice day I can’t go and get off my tits. 

I hear you, that'll be me off the booze for 11 years. I've had the odd pint/ Whisky etc.. but haven't been pished in 11 years. 

4 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I hear you, that'll be me off the booze for 11 years. I've had the odd pint/ Whisky etc.. but haven't been pished in 11 years. 

23 years since I got completely wasted at a works night out, took the piss right out of my boss.  Vowed the next afternoon, when I got up, never to touch the stuff again.  Not losing days to alcohol is worth it alone.

12 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Not many songs about this as a topic

I've always quite enjoyed the irony of Underworld's Born Slippy being an alcoholic's cry for help, accidentally becoming a drinking anthem.

Nearly 8 years sober, here. Absolutely no regrets whatsoever. 

Do you think drinking culture has changed in Scotland in the past 10 years or so? 

I mean in my mind, I seem to remember (or not) getting absolutely fucked on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (this then progressed to weeknights for myself but, I don't want to include this) every single weekend for about 12 years, and it would mainly be the same bulk of folk you would see out on the town. Just seemed to be the norm. Maybe just in Aberdeen because when I headed back to Oban for some weekends, 1 night was more than enough for some. It's not as if we were unfit either as most of us played Junior and Amateur football.

It just seems, looking in, without participating anymore, that more folk are concerned about their health and youngsters are more interested in getting a pic for social media than ending up in a pool of vomit. The drinks promotions have gone and I wonder if this had more to do with it than a culture change.