Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

13 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

And you have every right to be - even though any reply to it has said it's fundamentally wrong.

Well tbf that's two people, and only yourself after I linked the study.

Some people prefer their personal anecdotal evidence, some prefer independent statistical analysis. Neither of us is going to convince each other.

Edited by Satoshi

11 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Some people prefer their personal anecdotal evidence, some prefer independent statistical analysis. Neither of us is going to convince each other.

On 29/06/2022 at 02:15, Satoshi said:

Always a good fact when older people bring up the youth of today trope, the youth of today are much more sensible

On 29/06/2022 at 08:32, Satoshi said:

I haven't lived in the UK for years so can't comment on anecdotal examples.

Equally, anecdotal views aren't necessarily reflective either.

You don't live in the UK so can't produce anecdotal evidence, you prefer statical analysis.

Can you provide me with the statistics on sensibility levels for the 'youth of today' compared to 20 years ago?

On 29/06/2022 at 13:03, KD1711 said:

I can count on one hand the amount of folk I know who don't take gear. It is mad.

I've never touched the stuff.

If someone is clever enough to post a poll, the results might be interesting.  

Edited by Cosmic Joe

I've never touched the stuff.
If someone is clever do post a poll, the results be interesting.  

I know of two people who have never touched it, one my mates used to batter it all the time and now doesn’t touch it but for the first few months he said he was off it when bevvying folk were determined to get him back on it.

One of my mates who never touched it said that he has never heard anyone say they ran up x amount worth of debt taking gear and it was brilliant which put him off it, as it is always the opposite folk moaning about being hundreds in debt and not being worth it.

I really don't understand the yoff of today.....

Drop a (I heard Doves and Mistsies where here). heres  a Flatliner boys.

I am allowed to drop music, spamming it like me 

don't want to upset t

Edited by SlipperyP

Anyone's experience with things like coke are always going to be anecdotal. I've never touched it and neither have any of my friends. I also worked in an environment where it's allegedly widespread and never saw it there are. Maybe I'm naive, or perhaps a lot of people hide it very well. 

Saying that, I've no doubt it is indeed quite widespread - you hear more than enough about it after all. 

20 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Anyone's experience with things like coke are always going to be anecdotal. I've never touched it and neither have any of my friends. I also worked in an environment where it's allegedly widespread and never saw it there are. Maybe I'm naive, or perhaps a lot of people hide it very well. 

Saying that, I've no doubt it is indeed quite widespread - you hear more than enough about it after all. 

It is widespread throughout society now. I used to only see it during the 80s and 90s with loaded yuppies when I was working in and around London.

Now it’s so affordable and accessible it’s commonplace at a local boozer or nightclub in Scotland.

You see regular use at fitba grounds now. 

It is fcuking lethal shit though and anyone taking it needs their head examined due to the cutting agents used by dealers.

Idiotic behaviour if you ask me. I just hope not to lose any more friends or family to drug abuse.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've never touched it either. Genuinely would have no idea how to get it if I ever wanted to (which I don't). Never been offered it and never seen any friends do it.

I am in the same boat. It has simply never entered my life. 

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've never touched it either. Genuinely would have no idea how to get it if I ever wanted to (which I don't). Never been offered it and never seen any friends do it.

Same, none of the boys I grew up with have either. A few boys I work with are partial to a joint or two but that's it.

Edited by 101

It is widespread throughout society now. I used to only see it during the 80s and 90s with loaded yuppies when I was working in and around London.
Now it’s so affordable and accessible it’s commonplace at a local boozer or nightclub in Scotland.
You see regular use at fitba grounds now. 
It is fcuking lethal shit though and anyone taking it needs their head examined due to the cutting agents used by dealers.
Idiotic behaviour if you ask me. I just hope not to lose any more friends or family to drug abuse.

Not if ye get the gid stuff

51 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Not if ye get the gid stuff

Until you can’t afford the good gear anymore and you are so addicted that any shit will do. I’ve seen the impact over the years, from heroin in the 80s to coke in the 00s. It’s a slippery slope if you can’t control the addiction. First you have to recognise you have a problem and take action to stop. There are many areas of support in place now that ever before. The health issues of long term coke use may never go away sadly.

Until you can’t afford the good gear anymore and you are so addicted that any shit will do. I’ve seen the impact over the years, from heroin in the 80s to coke in the 00s. It’s a slippery slope if you can’t control the addiction. First you have to recognise you have a problem and take action to stop. There are many areas of support in place now that ever before. The health issues of long term coke use may never go away sadly.

That’s why Aufc hammered swedgers for years. Cheaper dunt but as you can see his head has gone a bit.

Another +1 for never having touched the stuff.

a-p jnr was asking about it (apparently he's got a couple of pals who are getting into it) and I said I had no knowledge but the concept scared the shit out of me. If it's as good as some people claim it to be, what happens if you like it? Where do you go from there?

Drug deaths have been on a steep upward curve. Scotland consumes twice the global average but that may be tempered by a “gram” typically being far less than a gram and actual drug content being low. Big overlap too on drinkers and drug taking. Bit of an all or nothing scenario. Drinking is less prevalent (overall consumption down 16% since 2004), as is smoking. Those who take drugs tend to be the ones who drink heavily. There are more drug deaths as the drug takers are getting older so folk who were ravers 20 years ago and have not moved on are the ones (as anecdotally evidenced on this thread) become old drug victims. Still, 24% of Scots drink more than is recommended per week. 

sorry - appear to have lost the links but it’s all out there on alcohol health awareness site and Scot gov stats

It probably shows the anecdotes mirror the stats. Big swathes of us don’t drink, or barely drink, and certainly don’t take drugs or know people who take drugs.

The decreasing number who still go out binge drinking are the ones consuming the drugs and adding to the death stats as their pickled old organs can’t hack it. 

3 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

If it's as good as some people claim it to be, what happens if you like it? Where do you go from there?

Basically you are always chasing the first time high.

That’s one of the major problems. Highly addictive.

It’s really good that your son has spoken to you. Many are under peer pressure to “just try it” by their pals. Welcome the discussion and encourage him to read about the impact. See below.

https://www.ukat.co.uk/addiction/drug/cocaine/

FC78D517-9AEA-4820-B90D-A5C5B6A65302.png.b100e0d4ddd2c53b8712b60469c24bf9.png

“Cocaine use can cause serious damage to physical health, affecting the heart, brain and other organs. It can also lead to long-term psychological and mental health problems such as chronic anxiety, depression and paranoia.

In 2020 alone, there were 777 cases of death by cocaine poisoning in England and Wales. These are the highest numbers since 1993, despite the Covid-19 Pandemic making access to cocaine more difficult.

Short-term risks

To increase profits, cocaine is often mixed with cheaper substances such as corn starch, talcum powder or baking soda to bulk out the product. These additions can cause serious health problems, including heart attacks and strokes, and it’s not possible to tell by looking if the cocaine you purchase is pure.

While cocaine can give you a short-lived feeling of euphoria, this experience can be coupled with vertigo, tremors and muscle twitches. Cocaine use can also lead to erratic and dangerous behaviour, which can result in unwanted injuries and life-threatening incidents.

Long-term risks

Physical health

Cocaine is associated with a range of serious health problems, including heart attacks, strokes, seizures and organ damage. Regular cocaine use also can lead to chronic anxiety, depression and paranoia, which can result in increased cases of violence, domestic violence and suicide.

Financial issues

As one of the most expensive illicit drugs available, extensive cocaine abuse and addiction can also lead to serious financial issues and drug-related crime.

According to statista.com, the street price of a gram of cocaine in the UK was almost £100 in 2019, and prices have increased in the subsequent years due to high demand and the Pandemic’s effect on supply.

One London-based drug dealer told Sky News that the price of a kilo of cocaine had risen almost 10%, from £36,000 to £40,000, with these costs being passed onto customers.

If you develop cocaine addiction, you can end up spending large amounts of money on the drug, leading to debt and financial problems. Addiction can be so consuming that some people resort to criminal behaviour such as theft, violence and prostitution in order to get money to buy more cocaine.”

Been rife in Scotland for at least 15 years. I was drinking in The Smugglers Inn in Yoker around that point and the disabled toilet had the biggest queue in there, with no one hiding what it was being used for. There were guys at that point spending hundreds a night on it, easily tanning their weeks wages between that and the bevvy.

I’ve dabbled the odd time, as have the majority of folk my know who are around my age(40), and I know folk who can’t have a beer without immediately talking about getting a gram at some point later in the evening. Fortunately the majority of my close friends have either never bothered, or like me, only tried it the odd time and decided they were capable of being an insufferable arsehole without it.

Only thing it is good for is straightening you up a bit after 8 or 9 pints to help you hammer another 8 or 9, and I’m not convinced that’s a particularly good thing for most of the folk who use it for that.

Each to their own with it but there is no doubt there are significant problems facing a huge number of people when they finally get what is in the post from the amount of coke so many of them are rattling through.

1 hour ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

Basically you are always chasing the first time high.

That’s one of the major problems. Highly addictive.

It’s really good that your son has spoken to you. Many are under peer pressure to “just try it” by their pals. Welcome the discussion and encourage him to read about the impact. See below.

https://www.ukat.co.uk/addiction/drug/cocaine/

FC78D517-9AEA-4820-B90D-A5C5B6A65302.png.b100e0d4ddd2c53b8712b60469c24bf9.png

“Cocaine use can cause serious damage to physical health, affecting the heart, brain and other organs. It can also lead to long-term psychological and mental health problems such as chronic anxiety, depression and paranoia.

In 2020 alone, there were 777 cases of death by cocaine poisoning in England and Wales. These are the highest numbers since 1993, despite the Covid-19 Pandemic making access to cocaine more difficult.

Short-term risks

To increase profits, cocaine is often mixed with cheaper substances such as corn starch, talcum powder or baking soda to bulk out the product. These additions can cause serious health problems, including heart attacks and strokes, and it’s not possible to tell by looking if the cocaine you purchase is pure.

While cocaine can give you a short-lived feeling of euphoria, this experience can be coupled with vertigo, tremors and muscle twitches. Cocaine use can also lead to erratic and dangerous behaviour, which can result in unwanted injuries and life-threatening incidents.

Long-term risks

Physical health

Cocaine is associated with a range of serious health problems, including heart attacks, strokes, seizures and organ damage. Regular cocaine use also can lead to chronic anxiety, depression and paranoia, which can result in increased cases of violence, domestic violence and suicide.

Financial issues

As one of the most expensive illicit drugs available, extensive cocaine abuse and addiction can also lead to serious financial issues and drug-related crime.

According to statista.com, the street price of a gram of cocaine in the UK was almost £100 in 2019, and prices have increased in the subsequent years due to high demand and the Pandemic’s effect on supply.

One London-based drug dealer told Sky News that the price of a kilo of cocaine had risen almost 10%, from £36,000 to £40,000, with these costs being passed onto customers.

If you develop cocaine addiction, you can end up spending large amounts of money on the drug, leading to debt and financial problems. Addiction can be so consuming that some people resort to criminal behaviour such as theft, violence and prostitution in order to get money to buy more cocaine.”

went for pishe, half 1 in the morning, my phone was pep, pep, nothin, then seen this graph. will now w**k myself to sleep. thank you