Saying Goodbye To John Barleycorn

Sweet Pete

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Do you think drinking culture has changed in Scotland in the past 10 years or so? 

I mean in my mind, I seem to remember (or not) getting absolutely fucked on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (this then progressed to weeknights for myself but, I don't want to include this) every single weekend for about 12 years, and it would mainly be the same bulk of folk you would see out on the town. Just seemed to be the norm. Maybe just in Aberdeen because when I headed back to Oban for some weekends, 1 night was more than enough for some. It's not as if we were unfit either as most of us played Junior and Amateur football.

It just seems, looking in, without participating anymore, that more folk are concerned about their health and youngsters are more interested in getting a pic for social media than ending up in a pool of vomit. The drinks promotions have gone and I wonder if this had more to do with it than a culture change.

I guess you could turn it around and say if mobile phones/social media had existed back in the day would we have screwed the nut a little? I'm extremely glad they didn't exist tbh.

Edited by Alert Mongoose

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

I guess you could turn it around and say if mobile phones/social media had existed back in the day would we have screwed the nut a little? I'm extremely glad they didn't exist tbh.

Or would we have made even more of an arse of it? But yes, so glad posing next to bottle of Grey Goose wasn't the highlight of my night.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Or would we have made even more of an arse of it? But yes, so glad posing next to bottle of Grey Goose wasn't the highlight of my night.

Most of the antics were usually forgotten by all* attending so it was easier to carry on.

* apart from that one guy who wouldn't drink (or not to excess) who only became useful for driving everyone around when you got to 17/18.

There's plenty of evidence that drinking, smoking, teenage pregnancy and drug taking are all significantly down in the younger generation (and have been trending down for some time). Always a good fact when older people bring up the youth of today trope, the youth of today are much more sensible and less violent than pretty much any other generation still alive. There could be many reasons for this and an increase of alternative activities available seems an obvious one.

I'm only in my early 30s but even 5-10 years ago in Scotland I got the feeling that anyone who wasn't drinking to excess was having a "quiet weekend", never mind that I had hiked and kayaked the entire time!

I am a product of my generation though and binge drinking is something that I still do and enjoy, I'm a social drinker only though and could equally go weeks or months without drinking at all. 

I doubt drug taking is down in the younger ones. Ten years ago we were all on £2 e's, bubble and khat. You got the coke but it was nowhere near as rife as now. There's council, 2/1, 1/1 and puro now. You got good coke and bad coke ten year ago. 

Absolutely everybody and their dug punts and leathers the stuff, it's honestly scary when you just sit back and look around pubs nowadays.

I doubt drug taking is down in the younger ones. Ten years ago we were all on £2 e's, bubble and khat. You got the coke but it was nowhere near as rife as now. There's council, 2/1, 1/1 and puro now. You got good coke and bad coke ten year ago. 
Absolutely everybody and their dug punts and leathers the stuff, it's honestly scary when you just sit back and look around pubs nowadays.

Aye absolutelt. Social media has helped make it even more accessible to younger people. It’s a major problem across the whole of the Uk.

I haven't lived in the UK for years so can't comment on anecdotal examples.

My view is only based on the statistics I have seen, and there are obviously reasons why statistics in this area would be incomplete (or other reasons why people are seeking less treatment).

Equally, anecdotal views aren't necessarily reflective either.

Do people at least agree smoking, drinking and teenage pregnancy are well down?

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/substance-misuse-treatment-for-young-people-statistics-2020-to-2021/young-peoples-substance-misuse-treatment-statistics-2020-to-2021-report

Also the violent crime and murder trend is also well done over recent decades, and when you tell people this they don't believe you (and would rather believe such crimes are happening but not being reported). Quite interesting.

Edited by Satoshi

11 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Do you think drinking culture has changed in Scotland in the past 10 years or so? 

I mean in my mind, I seem to remember (or not) getting absolutely fucked on a Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (this then progressed to weeknights for myself but, I don't want to include this) every single weekend for about 12 years, and it would mainly be the same bulk of folk you would see out on the town. Just seemed to be the norm. Maybe just in Aberdeen because when I headed back to Oban for some weekends, 1 night was more than enough for some. It's not as if we were unfit either as most of us played Junior and Amateur football.

It just seems, looking in, without participating anymore, that more folk are concerned about their health and youngsters are more interested in getting a pic for social media than ending up in a pool of vomit. The drinks promotions have gone and I wonder if this had more to do with it than a culture change.

I think back to the late 90s. I would head to Tree Tops in Alloa with my mates. One guy was obviously on the slippery slope, pished in the afternoon before we even went near the pub. He got really, really drunk every time I saw him - weekdays, the lot. No idea where he is now. 

One change that has happened is the move from drinking in pubs and clubs to drinking at home. Reminds me of when I stayed in Sweden - pub prices for a pint were crazy (£4.50 in 1999) so folk bought booze and stayed in. That's probably the biggest cultural change. 

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Do folk in their late teens/early 20s still drop a couple of disco biscuits on a night? Can you still get Mitsubishi's or Doves?

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

You're saying misuse is down and you're then posting figures for people getting treatment. Those are two entirely different things.

Yeah maybe, as I said the statistics themselves aren't perfect. They do show a dramatic decrease in treatment compared to 10 years ago (and compared to one year ago). I only linked the first article I saw on Google though.

Do you have any studies showing an increase and if so over what time period?

40 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

For which we're truly grateful.

Thanks bbz x

Although I am tarnishing the name of Scottish people abroad sadly.

1 minute ago, Satoshi said:

Yeah maybe, as I said the statistics themselves aren't perfect. They do show a dramatic decrease in treatment compared to 10 years ago (and compared to one year ago). I only linked the first article I saw on Google though.

Thanks bbz x

Although I am tarnishing the name of Scottish people abroad sadly.

Don't be sad, embrace it!

56 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Do folk in their late teens/early 20s still drop a couple of disco biscuits on a night? Can you still get Mitsubishi's or Doves?

You can still get them, harder to come by though. Most boys that age (if they're not on coke) just dazzle lines of ket or MDMA. The first is what I believe will cause the next spate of drug deaths in under 40's.

23 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

No, I do not. I have lived experience and can quite easily gaurantee drug use in the 20-35 populace has went up in the past decade. I know guys who wash it back and still function as plumbers and offshore workers.

Over decades I’ve witnessed first hand the damage drug abuse can cause on individuals, families and friends. 

Some of the cutting agents used by dealers in maximising the profits of certain drugs all along the line cause significant and untold damage. 

As an example one of my best mates can no longer recognise his own wife, kids, grandkids or friends. He is in his 50s. Lost his high flying job, beautiful house and lavish lifestyle as a direct result.

Now in a care home. All through getting on coke.

Basically his brain has been fcuked by what he has taken.

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/cocaine-treatment/cut-with

Problem is there is a lot of peer pressure in social environments to “just try a line”. 

I see so much more of it now than ever before and it’s going to result in major problems for our young people.

Edited by SuperSaints1877

14 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

You can still get them, harder to come by though. Most boys that age (if they're not on coke) just dazzle lines of ket or MDMA. The first is what I believe will cause the next spate of drug deaths in under 40's.

No, I do not. I have lived experience and can quite easily gaurantee drug use in the 20-35 populace has went up in the past decade. I know guys who wash it back and still function as plumbers and offshore workers.

Ah okay, it's just anecdotal evidence Vs statistical evidence.

And fair enough I don't question your lived evidence, or how passionately you hold your views, but equally I'm comfortable with the accuracy of my original statement.

1 minute ago, Satoshi said:

And fair enough I don't question your lived evidence, or how passionately you hold your views, but equally I'm comfortable with the accuracy of my original statement.

And you have every right to be - even though any reply to it has said it's fundamentally wrong.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I am "slightly" older than that and i took my first one for years a while back. Forgot how good it can be

6 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I can count on one hand the amount of folk I know who don't take gear. It is mad.