Montrose v Clyde.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sp in the paper saying he is looking at a striker but no deal to be done until after the international break.Cant see gary Fraser playing again for Montrose think he could be away to the smokies in january.
Back to the game hopefully big Templeman is fit again and we can get a win againt this mob.

11 minutes ago, chas said:

Munro still suspended, was he carrying points from the past or something?

Straight red for dangerous play/violent conduct is a 2 match ban. I assume Lowden will miss 2 matches as well. Breslin possibly only one even though he got a straight red for abusive language?

22 minutes ago, David W said:

Straight red for dangerous play/violent conduct is a 2 match ban. I assume Lowden will miss 2 matches as well. Breslin possibly only one even though he got a straight red for abusive language?

Was Breslins a straight red? He got booked in the first half so thought it was a second yellow

Cuddihy and Breslin were the two players protesting to him and he just flashed a yellow card at one of them. I assumed it was Cuddihy too at first, as a red would have surely followed for Breslin. But Craig Charleston.

Naturally I hope the Mo win but as for some Clyde fans debating about LL, Juniors or whatever none of that should be necessary. Yes Clyde need to accept the good 'ole days are unlikely to return but the SPFL really need to get their act together in my opinion. There is absolutely no need for relegation or a pyramid structure when only a very few HL and LL clubs want in anyway - let 'em in!  Would be a different story if the Juniors came into the pyramid - but they won't.

Ok so this should prob go into a different thread but we all get the red mist sometimes - don't we?

Naturally I hope the Mo win but as for some Clyde fans debating about LL, Juniors or whatever none of that should be necessary.

To be honest it's only SSB that's been proposing going junior.

The vast majority Clyde fans enjoy our internecine squabbling about various other stuff.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 21:37, David W said:
  1. I don't disagree he's done a good job.
  2. However he has almost exclusively signed players from the Dundee/Angus area
  3. Who was washed up?
  4. I've no doubt they're spending more oney than they've done in a while.
  5. They've also had great difficulty getting a good striker.
  6. And closing space is the absolute essence of modern defending.
  1. But do you agree he has?
  2. "Everywhere" wasn't a geographical assertion. But you knew that, so why play dumb? No manager signs players from a range of far flung places in Scotland's basement league. Petrie's got good players in from the SPL's unders teams (e.g. Ballantyne, Allan). Good experienced players (Dillon). Good players from local Juniors (e.g. Cavanagh). And what point would you be making in any case? That we're at a disadvantage not having the Angus talent pool so close by? Get up that stair tae yer bed.
  3. Brett. Bolo. Templeman. I could name more. Brett had left senior football in disgrace, despite being a good player. Petrie had the balls to bring him back, albeit it never lasted. Bolo's about as washed-up a player as there is down here. Been round the clubs, never setting the heather alight, flirting with a fall from the SFL into the Juniors. Ditto Templeman. Petrie's convinced him to give one more season, which gives Mo' a sluggish but experienced forward who, by fact of his presence, gives them the option to mix things up too. Petrie's put these guys to good use.
  4. No reason whatever to believe they are.
  5. They haven't though. Loaning they're best one in recent years out to Arbroath isn't the behaviour of a club which worries about sourcing another striker. Injuries they've had to deal with aye. But I don't see that they've a real striker problem.
  6. I don't have an opinion on it. The weirdness is in your emphasis. If we'd a midfield that won firsts, seconds and could take the ball off of the opposition with any frequency we could worry less about what they were doing while the other team had the ball. Get it. Keep it. Stick in the net. Nevermind yer theoreticians keech.

I don't think anyone can dispute that he's done a good job.

The second point you made was purely you screaming justification for the bizarre list you posted on here recently. Full of Ryan Stevensons so it was.

He didn't sign Bolo, or Templeman. Ballantyne and Allan were already on loan at Montrose before he got there. The fact that he's trawled Dundee/Dundee Utd/Arbroath/Forfar/Brechin for players is no different to any other Montrose manager, let's not make it out like that sets him apart. 

Financially they seem to have a reasonable size squad. They got in Dillon when he was linked with the rest of Angus. They won't be spending a fortune, but compared to what they've had in the past? If he's done that without any extra cash, then fair play to him.

Tackling. Tackling. Not important. Reacting to second balls, by all means. More importance is cutting off supply routes and passing lanes. We're actually okay at that this season. Funnily enough, the best we've done it in years though was McGovern's performance against Montrose last season where he barely let a thing get into Templeman. 

5 minutes ago, David W said:

The second point you made was purely you screaming justification for the bizarre list you posted on here recently. Full of Ryan Stevensons so it was.

He didn't sign Bolo, or Templeman. Ballantyne and Allan were already on loan at Montrose before he got there. The fact that he's trawled Dundee/Dundee Utd/Arbroath/Forfar/Brechin for players is no different to any other Montrose manager, let's not make it out like that sets him apart. 

Financially they seem to have a reasonable size squad. They got in Dillon when he was linked with the rest of Angus. They won't be spending a fortune, but compared to what they've had in the past? If he's done that without any extra cash, then fair play to him.

Tackling. Tackling. Not important. Reacting to second balls, by all means. More importance is cutting off supply routes and passing lanes. We're actually okay at that this season. Funnily enough, the best we've done it in years though was McGovern's performance against Montrose last season where he barely let a thing get into Templeman. 

The list of Junior players I posted recently I stand by and would never walk-back. Lee Currie. Owen Ronald. Fraser McLaren. And more. Anyone can go and look at these players recent records in senior football. They're very good. None of these guys are over the hill. Hell, most are in their playing prime. Nothing wrong with the Juniors. You only scorn it because you've some impossible investment in the belief that we really can't really do much better with player sourcing. Or finding more than one centre mid who can run.

And you say Petrie inherited players or didn't sign them as if I didn't know that. All those I mention, if he didn't bring them to Mo, he has re-signed them. And, even before that, got them playing together rapidly much better than his predecessor. Just like Innes/Chapman get kudos for keeping Goodwillie, and stick for loosing McGovern and Linton, so Petrie gets the same.

Nothing about what I wrote put a premium on tackling. Headers. Speed to loose balls. Aggression. Strength. Yes. Big, ridiculous Kevin Nicoll slide tackles ain't worth a lot.

Your 'not that important' theory of almost every position on the park is boring. Just like your point about us having reached the play-offs with a bad midfield was. You're effectively telling us all: 'we've had bad players and not been promoted before'. Yes... We know!

Those bloody play-offs were the worst thing to happen to these leagues. All they've done is increase the tolerance threshold of supporters for mediocrity because they know that might now be good enough for promotion. They've also prolonged the managerial careers of some stinking gaffers too.

As both teams have beaten Stirling this season will watch/listen with interest.  Could be a see-saw affair 0-1,2-1,3-2 if you know what I mean.  Both sets of fans seem to have a downer on their respective teams.  In my humble opinion, worth going along to see. 

Fraser McLaren is rubbish and always has been.

Boring it may be, but at this level centre midfielders don't need to be great and neither do full backs. They just need to do a job.

Goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward. A player who can open space by beating someone. One other goalscorer (couls be your centre mid). Five other unspectacular players who don't make silly mistakes. You're good to go.

Passing lanes and supply routes [emoji23]

What about zonal marking , squeezing space and of course the inverted diamond

Personally I blame sky sports for this sort of crap [emoji106]

Archived