Great Teams beaten by Scottish sides in Europe

BACKOFTHENET

On 25/10/2017 at 12:44, The Nightfly said:

Dundee United's wins over Roma and Monaco should be above most of the others in this list.

As should their away wins over Barcelona , Borussia et al

Required ( score ) draw away to Verder Bremen

Away victories should count double as they are rare for most Scottish teams although Celtic got a couple of scoreless draws in Italy late sixties / early seventies

Edited by ewan14

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAVIDB69
Away victories should count double as they are rare for most Scottish teams although Celtic got a couple of scoreless draws in Italy late sixties / early seventies

The weirder Bremen game i remember a spectacular clearance by Paul hegarty over his own bar

On 20/07/2020 at 02:15, ewan14 said:

United's two away wins over Barcelona are quite something, up there with the two best results of Scottish teams in Europe.

And that's the first and last time I'll pay Dundee United a compliment...

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

• 3 weeks later...

Dunfermline beating Valencia 6-2 has GOT to be the maddest result, given the circumstances. We were an absolute diddy team. I mean TOTAL diddy team before Jock Stein. We only got to one cup final before him, a League Cup final, where we were pumped by East Fife. Think it was in the late 40s. We hardly did anything of note at all before 1960. All of a sudden we won our first Scottish Cup against Celtic in 1961 and got to the quarter finals of the Cup Winners' Cup. The following season I believe we were invited to the Fairs Cup, rather than qualifying, where we put out Everton in the first round, a humongous result as well, to qualify and play Valencia in the second round. We got beat the first tie 4-0 over in Valencia, however we absolutely thumped them 6-2 in the tie at EEP. This was before away goals so it had to go to a play-off. I am not entirely positive, but I'm sure we were 6-1 up at one point and would have went through. There is a great moment from the tie where, just after we score the 4th, a wee boy runs on to the pitch, not even 8 years of age I reckon, to hug the players whilst the commentator proclaims "If Dunfermline score another goal, we'll be off this stand!"

I had all the European games on VHS from back in the day. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...