Great Teams beaten by Scottish sides in Europe

BACKOFTHENET

Here is my top 30 of achievements by Scottish sides to have beaten in competitive games. I take into quality of opposition, status of team defeated, number of teams to have defeated the foreign team, and also for bonus points either regional rivalry, or the exotic novelty of the win. 
1. Barcelona by Celtic, Dundee United, Hibs
2. Real Madrid by Aberdeen, Celtic
3. Bayern Munich by Aberdeen, Hearts, Glasgow Rangers
4. Inter Milan by Celtic, Glasgow Rangers
5. Liverpool by Celtic, Hibs
6. AC Milan by Celtic, Dundee
7. SV Hamburg by Aberdeen, Hibs, St Johnstone
8. Leeds United by Celtic, Glasgow Rangers
9. Juventus by Celtic, Dundee United, Glasgow Rangers
10. Sporting Lisbon by Celtic, Dundee, Hibs, Glasgow Rangers
11. Manchester United by Celtic 
12. Ajax by Celtic
13. Porto by Celtic, Hibs, Glasgow Rangers
14. Dundalk by Celtic, Glasgow Rangers
15. TNS by St Mirren
16. Linfield by Celtic and Queen of the South
17. Barry Town by Aberdeen
18. Shakter Karagandy by Celtic 
19. Everton by Dunfermline
20. PSV Eindhoven by Dundee United, Glasgow Rangers
21. Anderlecht by Celtic, Dundee, Dunfermline, Glasgow Rangers
22. Red Star Belgrade by Celtic, Glasgow Rangers
23. Aston Villa by Queens Park
24. Nottingham Forest by Queens Park
25. Werder Bremen by Dundee United, Glasgow Rangers
26. Newcastle United by Ayr United, Hearts, Dundee United
27. Racing Club by Celtic
28. Astana by Celtic
29. Spurs by Motherwell
30. Eintracht Frankfurt by Kilmarnock

Celtic or Rangers beating Dundalk of the Irish league is not the 14th best achievement in Europe by a Scottish team.

That is not opinion, that is fact.

14,15,16&17 should be nowhere near this list.

Bit of a random list.

I'd put the Bayern Munich side that Rangers beat in 1972 as the best of the lot. Leeds in 1970 were also a top side but Bayern just shade it, and they had a better side in 1972 than 1983. I rate home + away knockout wins more highly, but honourable mentions to Celtic's recent win over Barca and United's 1st leg win over Roma. It's hard to comment on results pre-1970, before my time.

Edited by Sydney Carton
edit for typo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I like this sort of thread - but what an utter horlicks. 

First of all, why pick an individual match result when the two-legged tie was lost?  These are 180 minute games, so if you win a half, big deal.

As for AFC.....Barry Town was brutal - Aitken era  - won 3-1 at home, went 1-0 down early in S.Wales and faced the serious prospect of being knocked out by a Welsh club until we recovered. 

IMO our best ten results as follows...

1. Bayern (1983)

2. Real Madrid

3. Hamburg (Super Cup)

4. Ipswich

5. Waterschei (now Racing Genk)

6. FC Copenhagen

7. Dnipro

8. Ujpesti Dosza

9. Rijeka

10. Groningen

On 26/09/2017 at 21:05, Bishop Briggs said:

There are a few dead clubs on that list, notably Glasgow Rangers.

Bizarrely, the OP's list omits Hibernian's wins against Rot-Weiss Essen and Djurgarden (both legs) in the first European Cup of 1955-56. They lost in the semis to Real Madrid who beat Milan in the final.

Hibs lost to Stade Reims I think (Edit it was indeed)

Edited by Wildrover

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

First of all, why pick an individual match result when the two-legged tie was lost?  These are 180 minute games, so if you win a half, big deal.

This,

On this day in 1980 Celtic beat Real Madrid 2-0 at Parkhead but lost the second leg 3-0 in Madrid so doesn't deserve to be on this list

On 9/26/2017 at 17:35, Sarto Mutiny said:

I realise I am biased, but you haven't put our wins over Borussia Moenchengladbach in the top 30? I mean, really?

I'm sure there are other omissions, but by Christ, that one leapt out at me.

Borussia Moenchengladbach were a decent German team.  Us beating them 11-0 over two legs in 1960/1 has also been omitted.

On 10/18/2017 at 21:32, Sydney Carton said:

Bit of a random list.

I'd put the Bayern Munich side that Rangers beat in 1972 as the best of the lot. 

Indeed.  We left a very-much fancied team arguing  among themselves..  Terrific night at Ibrox though I was only 12*.  Possibly the best Scottish result in Europe?

*I remember going to Ibrox aged 9 and us getting pumped 1-3 by Górnik Zabrze.

Edited by The_Kincardine

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

We left a very-much fancied team arguing  among themselves..  Terrific night at Ibrox though I was only 12*.  Possibly the best Scottish result in Europe?

Certainly in terms of two-legged affairs it's up there.

In terms of overall results, Celtic fans will understandably argue that beating Internazionale in 1967 was better, as Aberdeen fans would argue beating Real Madrid was also a contender. 

Obviously I'm biased but i'd certainly put Dundee's 8-1 utter dicking of second favourites FC Cologne at Dens in the our first ever European match in a top five. It's slightly let down by the controversial 0-4 second leg, but still a real eye-opener of a result. 

It's also mildly painful to admit that United cunting out Barcelona in 1987 deserves a high ranking, winning both home and away. 

The OP's list is fucking comical though. 

Another under-rated Dons result was our utter pumping of the Swiss cup holders FC Sion, the season we won the ECWC.

Their subsequent results, including beating Atletico home and away and then Bouderbala tearing us apart a few years later, suggests they were no diddy outfit.

sion.JPG

Edited by tarapoa

Dunfermline related omissions I can see is Olympiakos in the Cup Winners Cup 68/69.

Also a victories over Valencia and Athletic Bilbao, where Dunfermline won at East End Park but ultimately lost both ties on a third match after tying over the original two legs.

The Valencia result must have a shout at being one of the most remarkable of a Scottish side in Europe. Trailing 4-0 after the match in Valencia, Dunfermline managed to skud Valencia 6-2. Overturning as much as a 4 goal deficit from the first leg was a record that Dunfermline held for over 50 years until last season when Barcelona beat PSG 6-1 at the Camp Nou after losing 4-0 in Paris.

Edited by ShaggysBeard

On 3/5/2018 at 20:16, The_Kincardine said:

Borussia Moenchengladbach were a decent German team.  Us beating them 11-0 over two legs in 1960/1 has also been omitted.

Indeed.  We left a very-much fancied team arguing  among themselves..  Terrific night at Ibrox though I was only 12*.  Possibly the best Scottish result in Europe?

*I remember going to Ibrox aged 9 and us getting pumped 1-3 by Górnik Zabrze.

The best result in Europe by a Scottish side was Celtic's European Cup triumph. Nothing can outdo that.

I remember the night that Gornik result came through. It was a shock to us. Wasn't that Davie White's last game in charge?

7 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

The best result in Europe by a Scottish side was Celtic's European Cup triumph. Nothing can outdo that.

I remember the night that Gornik result came through. It was a shock to us. Wasn't that Davie White's last game in charge?

The joke after was, "What's Davie White's phone number?  Gornik 3131".

What made our semi win over Bayern special was the team we played against.  Everyone remembers:

Sepp Maier
Franz Beckenbauer
Edgar Schneider
Paul Breitner
Franz Roth
Uli Hoeness
Gerd Müller

They all featured in the German 1974 WC campaign but were left arguing among themselves having been cunted by Greig, Jardine, Dave Smith, DJ, Colin Stein et al.

I have no problem saying that Celtic's win in 1967 was more significant.  No one remembers the players they played against, though.  Everyone over the age of 45 remembers the German team we put to the sword.  That's the difference.