British Football League Champions 1889 - 2017 - Alternative history

BACKOFTHENET

13 hours ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

a massive & insane undertaking.

speaking as an only child who grew up on an isolated farm and played out entire seasons of subbuteo leagues (twenty two team European Super Leagues, no fucking about with tawdry domestic rubbish, mind) can I just point out that the OP's efforts are entirely laudible and he should be elevated at the earliest possible opportunity to a very senior decision-making position in either the FA or the SFA, or possibly both; he's also absolutely be the correct person to oversee the transition of the European Championship to the stage where there are more available slots in the finals than there are actual countries in Europe, spaces which can be filled by entirely fabricated nations; the power of the mind is truly a wonderful and frightening thing - cap duly doffed etc....

36 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

speaking as an only child who grew up on an isolated farm and played out entire seasons of subbuteo leagues (twenty two team European Super Leagues, no fucking about with tawdry domestic rubbish, mind) can I just point out that the OP's efforts are entirely laudible and he should be elevated at the earliest possible opportunity to a very senior decision-making position in either the FA or the SFA, or possibly both; he's also absolutely be the correct person to oversee the transition of the European Championship to the stage where there are more available slots in the finals than there are actual countries in Europe, spaces which can be filled by entirely fabricated nations; the power of the mind is truly a wonderful and frightening thing - cap duly doffed etc....

We'd probably still fail to qualify, tbh... Likely finish 4th behind Atlantis, El Dorado and Lilliput - having fluked in a 93rd-minute winner v the island of Sodor - before losing a playoff to Shangri-La...

44 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Yes I hear from a pal that some used to then re-enact the goals with a sponge football using the dining table as goal.

hah - i'll bet they used to know a kiddy i knew who'd write and type up entire matchday programmes for fictitious teams, with all player profiles and match reports, league tables, full seasons results, made up adverts, hand-drawn pictures - all sorts - my god, there were some sad fuckers about back in the day - luckily i had plenty of character-building rough and tumble, bracing countryside walks and the tufty club an' shit to keep me away from that sort of weirdo !

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Does anyone fancy starting a fictional fitba league with me? We can turn this into a genuine thing.

i've got a mate who'd be up for it, but there's no internet where he lives, so I'd sort of have to play his role for him by proxy, like....

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

In my day there were no FIFAs or Football Managers so we had to make our own fictional fitba fun.

Does anyone fancy starting a fictional fitba league with me? We can turn this into a genuine thing.

My pal would do this but you wouldn't know him, he lives around my grans way. I'm happy to act as go between.

Amazingly in the entire circa 500 times the Invergowrie Scottish Cup was contested Rangers never won once. Dundee didn't either but that's entirely consistent with real life.

29 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

My pal would do this but you wouldn't know him, he lives around my grans way. I'm happy to act as go between.

Amazingly in the entire circa 500 times the Invergowrie Scottish Cup was contested Rangers never won once. Dundee didn't either but that's entirely consistent with real life.

Ayr United beat Bayern Munich 2-1 at the San Siro in the Euro Cup Final in 2001. Eddie Annand and Glynn Hurst scored for Ayr while Elber scored for Bayern.

1 hour ago, Herman Hessian said:

I am so getting Mrs H a set of those for her christmas stocking - fucking brilliant !

edit:  yaaaaaas !

8)

and to put the tinselly tin hat on what will be a truly magical christmas for her, just bought a couple of tickets for the uncovered terrace at Bristol Rovers for 23/12 - she's a lucky, lucky girl and no mistake !