The Wee "Will-we-qualify-probably-not" Thread: Nations League Edition

forameus

16 minutes ago, Paco said:

Poland
Bosnia
Scotland
Hungary
Gibraltar

That’s pretty much as good as it gets. There are weaker sides in Pot 4 than Hungary but having them rules out the likes of England, Germany, Italy and Spain.

Having said that, England, Netherlands, Italy or Spain as top seed isn’t a bad thing - we’re unlikely to win the group anyway, and it rules out tougher second seeds like Germany, Denmark and Russia.

If we get England or Holland it also means we wouldn't have any games in June because it will be a five team group. Given how the players mump and moan about June games (see the call-offs for Peru / Mexico this year) that might not be a bad thing.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, JamesM82 said:

If we get England or Holland it also means we wouldn't have any games in June because it will be a five team group. Given how the players mump and moan about June games (see the call-offs for Peru / Mexico this year) that might not be a bad thing.

I haven't checked the regulations yet, but I suspect we might be contractually obliged to play friendlies on these dates, just like we were on the free weeks during the Nations League.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I haven't checked the regulations yet, but I suspect we might be contractually obliged to play friendlies on these dates, just like we were on the free weeks during the Nations League.

We could still have qualifiers in June anyway, it's just the team in the Nations League finals that wouldn't have fixtures. 

5 minutes ago, Pie Of The Month said:

We could still have qualifiers in June anyway, it's just the team in the Nations League finals that wouldn't have fixtures. 

Aye, of course - completely missed that. We'd almost certainly have at least one game.

Apologies if this has been asked / answered, but how do we know who's going to be in our Group B section? Do the sections get redrawn, or do we go into B1 as we were in C1?

Guest DAVIDB69

Be interesting if we are in a 6 team group and we start ok will Celtic players get the tiredness bug again. CL qualifiers about 4 weeks later.

If we are in a five team group do we have one game in the June slots then , I assume we will be missing another match day somewhere as well.

We would have to play a friendly in the missing June slot then

20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Apologies if this has been asked / answered, but how do we know who's going to be in our Group B section? Do the sections get redrawn, or do we go into B1 as we were in C1?

Redrawn. The seeding will be:

Pot 1: Croatia Poland Germany Iceland

Pot 2: Russia Austria Wales Czech Rep

Pot 3: Scotland Norway Serbia Finland

9 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Redrawn. The seeding will be:

Pot 1: Croatia Poland Germany Iceland

Pot 2: Russia Austria Wales Czech Rep

Pot 3: Scotland Norway Serbia Finland

Poland and Czech Republic should see us comfortably where we belong in League A. 

3 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Poland and Czech Republic should see us comfortably where we belong in League A. 

Not really bothered about League A. Just don't get relegated from B in 2020 and we're pretty much guaranteed a playoff place for euro 2024.

Would take Poland as surely Lewandowski is retiring from internationals soon. Don't know much about the Czech's.

7 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

So, we could play all three group matches at Hampden?

I don't think so, I think it would be two group games, and if we got through, a 50-50 chance of playing the R16 match at Hampden too.

4 hours ago, Elixir said:

Why one at Wembley? That would be scenes, though.

Would England have a game at Hampden?

Hampden and Wembley have been paired, and if they qualify host countries are guaranteed at least two games at home. So if Scotland and England qualify we'll be together in Group D, we'll both play two at home and one at the other's ground.

If we get drawn to play England at Wembley, then yes, England will have a game against someone else in the group at Hampden. The only other possibility is that, if we get drawn to play England at Hampden, we'll play someone else at Wembley.

From a fan point of view I'd rather get England at Hampden and someone else at Wembley, but for the best chance of qualifying , England will probably be a top seed so I'd prefer the two other games at home, with a better chance of winning them.

Whichever venue doesn't host Scotland v England will get the game between the two other teams in the group.

All of this is predicated on us qualifying, which is obviously a formality now...

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

I don't think so, I think it would be two group games, and if we got through, a 50-50 chance of playing the R16 match at Hampden too.

Hampden and Wembley have been paired, and if they qualify host countries are guaranteed at least two games at home. So if Scotland and England qualify we'll be together in Group D, we'll both play two at home and one at the other's ground.

If we get drawn to play England at Wembley, then yes, England will have a game against someone else in the group at Hampden. The only other possibility is that, if we get drawn to play England at Hampden, we'll play someone else at Wembley.

From a fan point of view I'd rather get England at Hampden and someone else at Wembley, but for the best chance of qualifying , England will probably be a top seed so I'd prefer the two other games at home, with a better chance of winning them.

Whichever venue doesn't host Scotland v England will get the game between the two other teams in the group.

All of this is predicated on us qualifying, which is obviously a formality now...

It's a far less than 50/50 chance for a knockout game at Hampden. The winners of the group play their last 16 game in Dublin and the runner up plays in Copenhagen. 

3rd place from either the Hampden group or one of 3 other groups will play a R16 game at Hampden. 

You lot seem to forget that we always beat Croatia:whistle

Said that last night, bring them on, they absolutely hate playing against us!!!
Unbeaten against them and I'm pretty sure Snodaldinho is nap to score against them, always seems to do it , some Croat must have shagged his Missus!!!
IMG_4696.jpg

4 hours ago, Pie Of The Month said:

It's a far less than 50/50 chance for a knockout game at Hampden. The winners of the group play their last 16 game in Dublin and the runner up plays in Copenhagen. 

3rd place from either the Hampden group or one of 3 other groups will play a R16 game at Hampden. 

I didn't realise they'd worked out the fixtures to that extent yet. Where did you get that from?

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I didn't realise they'd worked out the fixtures to that extent yet. Where did you get that from?

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2560574.html

The wiki page is probably a lot of an easier read than anything UEFA put out though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020

On 11/21/2018 at 14:39, GordonS said:

Nope, each matchday will have one game at Hampden and one at Wembley

MD1:

England v Team A at Wembley

Scotland v Team B at Hampden

MD 2:

England v Team B at Wembley

Scotland v Team A at Hampden

MD 3:

England v Scotland at Hampden or Wembley (Random draw)

Team A v Team B at the other venue

If England qualify and we don't, they'll play all 3 games at Wembley and all other games in the group will be at Hampden, or vice versa.

57 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Nope, each matchday will have one game at Hampden and one at Wembley

MD1:

England v Team A at Wembley

Scotland v Team B at Hampden

MD 2:

England v Team B at Wembley

Scotland v Team A at Hampden

MD 3:

England v Scotland at Hampden or Wembley (Random draw)

Team A v Team B at the other venue

Any idea how they decide the pots? I've read the basics but I don't get how that mixes with the host city pairings.

For example, say both Scotland and England qualify through the playoffs. We'd then both be 4th seeds but in the same group? What's the seeding of the other teams in the group if that happens?

Archived