Airdrie v Queen's Park

an86

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were rank today, and visibly low in confidence. Compared to last season we still have work to do to settle the defence.  Good to see Gibson back on the pitch though, and Docherty getting involved with striker duty.

We simply weren't good enough to handle Furtado. He is good to watch and I guess improved from last season by others making runs.

At least we know what end of the table we will be contesting, but we can do a lot better than this.

Terrible result and disappointing performance. Didn't really seem as though the team had much belief throughout the game which is unusual for a Gus Macpherson team. Some pretty disastrous goals to lose( the 4th one was embarrassing). Cummins and Fotheringham both look a shadow of the player they were from last season and we've got to get Gibson back in the team asap as he's a no nonsense defender who never lets you down. Hopefully Docherty keeps doing what he's doing in terms of helping the striker as I see a lot of potential in him. Thankfully our next opponents seem just as bad as ourselves so hopefully we can get a strong result. 

3 hours ago, diamondman said:

Oh; and Anton Brady...........learn to keep quiet.

Your mouthing off should have seen you walk.......

Does it every week but I quite like It. Surprised he's never been sent off for us yet 

Other than 2 moments of slack defending we were positive and enjoyable to watch. Stewart, Deano, Watt and Furtado were the best players on the park.

With nothing to complain about beyond a sh!t referee I just want to ask the other thing on my mind..who was that tannoy guy? Charisma bypass and monotone. Where’s the usual guy?

Other than 2 moments of slack defending we were positive and enjoyable to watch. Stewart, Deano, Watt and Furtado were the best players on the park.

With nothing to complain about beyond a sh!t referee I just want to ask the other thing on my mind..who was that tannoy guy? Charisma bypass and monotone. Where’s the usual guy?

Don't know who he was but as usual it will be someone giving up their own time to do it and they don't deserve that type of criticism. Maybe you could give the club your name as a potential future stand in and bring fun and frolics to the role.

Don't know who he was but as usual it will be someone giving up their own time to do it and they don't deserve that type of criticism. Maybe you could give the club your name as a potential future stand in and bring fun and frolics to the role.

Crossed my mind to be honest.

A really nice display from Airdrie but with just enough schizo moments to stop us getting carried away.

Similar line up to last week with only Hastie replacing Russell on the left.

Hastie probably had his quietest game since signing but at least he kept his gob shut.

The highlight for me was the interplay between our 4 attacking players.   The 1st goal involved some delightful interplay from Scott Stewart on the right and big Nelly.   The striker's movement and reverse pass opened a gap for Stewart to willingly exploit and finish.   Simple, effective, and stunningly beautiful to watch.

Seeing Stewart in full flow will always make me sick that we had to suffer Brown there all of last season.

Our midfield are keen and enthusiastic.  Luke Watt is a bit of a machine in there.    He has a few rough edges but will grow in to a very dominant cdm.   Big Deano is just full of enthusiasm.  He'll chase anything that moves with gusto.   And he's a decent passer too.  Great to see him get that goal too.

McIntosh and McDonald both did well at full backs.  McGregor is now looking the centre half his physique suggests he is.  Leading his troops and brave.    However his partner Brownlie is toiling.   IMO McIntosh should be in the left sided CD rile as he's the best we have there but it would unbalance the side more.  Let's hope Div settles a bit in coming weeks.

Fry in the 10 hole is hard working but it doesnt always come off for him.  Would be good to see him add more of a goal threat from there.    I'd have liked to see wee Conor McLaughlin get 15mins there at the end.

And what about Furtado?    The big kid has only turned 20 recently.    A lot of the play is going through him now and he's carrying the load well.    Not all is coming off as he's still very green but he'll grow into that role.   He strikes me as one of those types who'll score a barrowload next season in the way Andy Ryan did last.

And the age of that team.  Rohan and Hastie are teenagers, as were the subs Cammy and Nacho.   Right back, both centre halfs, all 3 midfielders and centre forward are all 20.    Stewart is 21 and McDonald 24.    Average age 20years old. 

Just remember that folks, support the team and encourage.   Feel free to destroy JB and McGowan right enough

Thomas Orr kicked the ball off his own baws at half-time and was on the deck for a full minute. Our season summed up in one shambolic moment of self inflicted pain.

He appeared to try and control the ball in mid air, over stretched and looked like he'd done his groin but your version is way funnier.

McGregor is now looking the centre half his physique suggests he is.  Leading his troops and brave.    However his partner Brownlie is toiling. 

McGregor was getting it tight from the 3 behind me. Always to blame for everything in their eyes.
“Get it up the park McGregor” when he is passing at back looking for an opening. When he did put it up the park it obviously lost possession. “You wasting the ball again McGregor”. Guy can’t win with them

They’re not the only fans devoid of a football brain mind you considering the shouts for getting it “up the park” quicker and moans at backwards passes. It’s called KEEPING POSSESSION!

Just shows u its all about opinions. For a team who have only started to train together as a unit for two sessions per week it would seem that things are maybe pulling together? What i will say is if ur a striker and miss oh well! If ur a midfielder and lose the ball or go hiding the defence nine times out if ten can get u out of jail. If u r a defender and make a mistake its often costly and thats what folk focus on. Lets hope with the additional joint sessions Stevie has put in place these young guys can continue to grow and improve

Reading most of the posts it looks like most folk turned up at half-time. Again, the key stats (apart from the obvious) show we had better possession and similar shots on target and at half-time, well in the game. After another early loss we had an instant response and evened the game quickly. Positive.

And like every week, I wondered at half-time if we could keep it together for a whole game. It took just 5 minutes to make that clear. Millen and Burns both naive in trying to win tackles when the right thing to is just channel and wait for your mates. Especially Millen who might have done better staying in the middle. But where the hell was our pedestrian midfielders when the Airdrie guys bombed forward smelling an opportunity? Really poor. Gus also has to think about the lack of cover when a sub has just came on. Happened several times last season and that's at least twice this year. Play it safe until the team regains it's shape and the incomer gets up to speed.

After that, moral and discipline went for an early bath and the rest of the game was a clusterfuck of poor decisions, dysfunctional teamwork and embarrassing loss of discipline. By the end it was like watching a school trial where every laddie just wants to show off. The worst decision, by far, was going 442 with Donnelly still on the park. It should have been a straight swap with Orr for 10 minutes then Duff on in support. But it was made even worse by hooking Bailey who was having a much better day than both Galt and Brady together. Consequence? We lose two more goals within six minutes and another winnable game freefalls to a shambles. Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory.

The only ray of sunshine yesterday was Dom Docherty adding to his growing presence with two goals. The second in particular, given at that time the rest if the team had either chucked it or wanted a square-go. Wullie Muir was also back to a fault-free performance. Burns too gets a star for trying to kickstart our effort with two long-range efforts. The defence were good enough in the first and competed physically but still haven't figured out that giving room and space at this level will be punished. I'm left to wonder if they ever will.

Yesterday was two steps back. Morale is clearly declining. The lack of leadership on the park is tangible. Over to you Gus.

Things are just not going right for us defensively. It's not just our centre halves, our fullbacks or wing backs are not doing their jobs defensively, and neither are our holding midfielders. Those 2nd half goals yesterday were really poor. The wrong decision or too slow to react or just out muscled in one on one situations.

Gibson and Iredale next match? What can be done in centre midfield though? Docherty has to start after those goals yesterday but not sure who should be beside him.

McGregor was getting it tight from the 3 behind me. Always to blame for everything in their eyes.
“Get it up the park McGregor” when he is passing at back looking for an opening. When he did put it up the park it obviously lost possession. “You wasting the ball again McGregor”. Guy can’t win with them

They’re not the only fans devoid of a football brain mind you considering the shouts for getting it “up the park” quicker and moans at backwards passes. It’s called KEEPING POSSESSION!

Keeping possession is fine but sometimes makes wrong decision IMO slow backwards stuff when a quick option out is there only to retain & then put defender under pressure or punt up the park once everyone covered only to come right back also allows ball to get over him and slow to turn in occasion resulting in lost possession as per 1st QP goal but on the whole looking more commanding & certainly better than Brownlie who as some previously suggested could be replaced by Cairns when Conroy fit

Archived