Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

The transporter has always been one of those great Star Trek technobabbles driven by the requirement of the plot than any over-arching sense of self consistency. It seems remarkably good at distinguishing between people and objects, such that folk can be carried by other people, or even jump into people's arms as they transport (Star trek IV) without going all BrundleFly, except that one time with Tuvok, Neelix and the plant (Fucking Tuvix), or that time it accidentally left half the person's DNA out and they materialized as children (Wat?).  Objects don't seem to retain their velocity or force once transported (think the number of objects that get transported from space even though they must be hurtling at thousands of Kph at least), or people getting fired at, or jumping - they always appear, unruffled, on the pad. Except that one time the PTSD suffering Vulcan developed a micro-transporter onto the end of a rifle to shoot people on the other side of the space station (So, Starfleet has now, a prototype of a gun that can fire through walls with a nice visual thing that can see through walls too - you'd think that pesky Dominion War would be over soon enough).

It's actually a really shitty, nasty concept as well. Basically a person is disintegrated on one end and put back together at the other, but from the subjective view of the person being transported, do they just die and a clone takes their place back on the ship? Do folk just get churned through a literal death machine on a regular basis?

Really enjoyed yesterday's episode. I also enjoyed the Dark Matter episode "All the Time in the World".

Spoiler

Wiki description of the dark matter episode:

Three experiences a time loop, living the same day over and over again. He uses the repetitions to learn to speak French, and to work up the nerve to reestablish his relationship with Sarah (as preserved in the ship's computer). Once he is able to persuade the rest of the crew that his experience is real, they are able to use his foreknowledge of the day's events to foil an attack on the Raza by one of Ryo's mercenaries. Once the device creating the time loop is discovered, the Android destroys it to break the loop; but in the process of doing so, she experiences brief visions of an unsettling and seemingly tragic future.

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Thought this week's episode was OK given that it was basically to set up next week's. Also nice go finally hear some of the other minor characters get some lines at last.

I'd have liked more about the alien life form and moral dilemmas about using them for war etc, like the earlier versions would have done. Also about using the fungus drive. This series seems to be of the Trump age, nothing about creating a world where money means nothing and everyone is equal, all about power is all and the means justify the ends, the only good Klingon/Korean is a dead one. 

I'd have liked more about the alien life form and moral dilemmas about using them for war etc, like the earlier versions would have done. Also about using the fungus drive. This series seems to be of the Trump age, nothing about creating a world where money means nothing and everyone is equal, all about power is all and the means justify the ends, the only good Klingon/Korean is a dead one. 

Hard go argue with that tbf. I do think that Saru (sp?) is underused somewhat and that there was another story in there (but that might come out next week). Also a bit random that the new security guy somehow managed to get transported to the transmitter with no explanation as to how the planet did that for him. Still better than most of Voyager though.

This is supposed to be pre-Star Trek, yes? In that case, I presume that spore drive is going to turn out to have some major flaw (they may be hinting at this already) that means the tech gets dumped. Otherwise why would all the 'future' STs be using dull old warp drive?

EDIT I'm really enjoying it, the Michael lassie is much better than she is in The Walking Dead.

Edited by Boghead ranter

29 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Hard go argue with that tbf. I do think that Saru (sp?) is underused somewhat and that there was another story in there (but that might come out next week). Also a bit random that the new security guy somehow managed to get transported to the transmitter with no explanation as to how the planet did that for him. Still better than most of Voyager though.

The new security guy is definitely a wrongun. Unless they're trying to make us think that for a plot twist.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Klingon I reckon. Will be used to explain why Kirk-era Klingons didn't have Cornish pasty heids - some kind of genetic engineering or somesuch.

I'm sure that was explained in enterprise and brushed off in DS9.