Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

It's maddening isn't it? Imagine if in TNG they had Worf or Geordi or Data in every scene and they never said anything about them? Like the lassie that pilots the thing with the metal prosthetic on her eye, when they crashed the ship and she got hit by some debris and it broke the metal thing, I thought "ahhh nice! she's going to be critical to some plot point with her own mini story about hiding the damage to her implant!" and no it was just she goes to the doctor to say she feels a bit sad. No idea who is writing this but it's so frustrating.

Yeah I honestly thought that Story was leading somewhere too but I think they wrapped it up by having her watch a movie with the crew and made her less sad?

I appreciate that the show doesn’t have the 26 or so episodes every series so might struggle to have spare episodes to develop the other characters but it’s pretty bad that they’re in series 3 and they have to promote an ensign to first officer because all the other characters presumably don’t have enough screen time to justify it. If a minor character does get an episode to focus on them there’s a good chance they’re about to die or leave the ship.

I don’t hate the show or anything like that but every series feels like it’s a reboot as they don’t have a clue where they’re going.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/12/2020 at 19:06, MixuFruit said:

Actually enjoyed this more. It felt a bit more like a TNG one and done episode. 

It started off promisingly enough but it got so unbelievably dull I thought it was a double length episode and I got bored enough I realised I had missed a pretty significant plot development and had to rewind it at least 5 minutes.

37 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Can someone confirm something for me: do the folk playing the green skinned baddies have a really subtle facial prosthesis, or something packed underneath their top lip? Or is it just a quirk that the actors that play them happen to have a fat lip? Or am I just seeing things?

At one point I thought Osyyra was Gina McKee in green paint.

I couldn't be arsed with the mirror universe two-parter so waited for the new episode to see the cause of the burn. A coupe of promising scenes ruined by overly-sentimental guff. I think that's about enough of Discovery for me - at least for this season. Hope that Strange New Worlds has a  completely different show runner and is completely different tone, structurer and crew dynamic than Discovery S3. 

Going into battle with Tilly in command.  That would be like DS9 ignoring Kira, Worf, Dax etc and going with Jake or Nog in command if Sisko was missing. Senseless nonsense. 

Star Trek: Discovery - Michael's 10 Best Quotes | ScreenRant

My 9 year old grandson, after watching Tilly lose Discovery to a boarding party that just transported across - "Why do they bother with lasers and torpedos when they can just transport a nuclear bomb into the other ship?"

35 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I don't think I was paying enough attention to the finale to know what was going on. Can think of a few other things I'd rather do than have a rewatch to figure it all out 🤔

It was a silly mess and not worth rewatching.

The Burn was caused by a kid screaming when his maw died.

Saru fucked off.

No one died on the good side.

That's about it.

Also, and I meant to mention this a while back, but I absolutely despise Gray, and I'm not entirely sure why.

11 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Rumours the show has been cancelled.

Wouldn't be missed. Season finale, basically works as a series finale. It's one of those things in the streaming wars where the diminshing returns aren't seen as being worth it, as it's not like they get the same syndication/international rights.

Which is why they're off making Picard, Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, and the Section 31 show. Plus who knows how many more that will come along. It's better to have something new, in the hopes it attracts new subscribers.

Watched the finale last night.  What a steaming pile that was.  Apart from the mirror universe episodes and one or two others, this was a really poor season.

It's already been mentioned, but the turbolift bit was hilariously bad.  I'm perfectly prepared to suspend my disbelief when watching a sci-fi programme, but that was almost insulting.  All through Discovery, they've shown you the shuttle hanger at the back which gives the ship a very definite sense of how big it is.  I noticed after they showed the cavernous turbolift bit that Discovery looked like it could fit inside itself, the next time you saw the back of the ship, the shuttle bay doors were closed for what appeared to be the first time in it's entire run.

And now we get to hear the crew tell Michael what an amazing Captain she is every episode.

I don't know if i'll bother if there is a S4