Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

21 hours ago, bennett said:

How can an ensign become 2nd in command,  utterly crazy stuff.

she is such an annoying character to boot. often relied upon for "comedy"  relief but also for knee-jerk emotional scenes. I believe we are supposed to relate to her in some way. 

As said 50% of the show just employs Greys Anatomy tropes. 

In saying that the most unintentionally hilarious scene involving her was when she was informed her lard-ass time had just broke the (cadet/Starfleet) half marathon record....

6 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

I just noticed that the actor who played the robot in S1/2 that chucked itself into space is now back as a different character, just without all the funky makeup.

oh aye. just looked this up. 

Spoiler

Despite her death, however, Star Trek: Discovery's writers have found a way to keep Airiam "alive" going into season 3, a way that involves some interesting behind-the-scenes information. Actress Sarah Mitich played Airiam during season 1, but the role was recast with actress Hannah Cheeseman in season 2. While not officially confirmed, a rumor that Mitich had an adverse reaction to Airiam's extensive makeup serves as the most likely reason for Cheeseman taking over the role. However, Mitich was not let go from the show and has since been recast as another character named Lieutenant Nilsson. Nilsson was seen in several episodes of season 2 leading up to Airiam's death, and after her death, Nilsson took over Airiam's station on the bridge and assumed her role of spore drive ops officer. This is clearly an attempt by the creative team to allow Sarah Mitich to continue to embody her original role symbolically, and for fans who recognize Mitich and know the context of her recasting, it is a surprisingly poignant way to keep Airiam around even after her death.

Still too 'isn't Michael Burnham wonderful' this season so far, can't remember a ST series which seemed to focus so much on one character always coming up with the answers, its normally spread around 3 or so of them at least.

Tilly jumping straight to No.1 is clearly ridiculous.

Most improved character of the season overall, probably Saru.

Star treks always been diverse but this they/them Adira stuff......

I don't remember Kirk or Sisko fannying about trying to come up with a catchphrase. 

Photon torpedoes doing the same damage as a grenade. 

An ensign bossing superior officers around, chain of command....

It's just getting too silly for words. There's a good Star Trek story in there - the Burn, the demise of the Federation - but it's being completely smothered by too many writers trying to tick every single diversity box. 

This explains a lot - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489

Edited by NewBornBairn

5 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

It's just getting too silly for words. There's a good Star Trek story in there - the Burn, the demise of the Federation - but it's being completely smothered by too many writers trying to tick every single diversity box. 

This explains a lot - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walter-mosley-quits-star-trek-discovery-using-n-word-writers-room-1237489

this is exactly my take on it. Really interesting core plot/premise developed for season 3 then Greys Anatomy type writers hired to develop and flesh out secondary story lines - accompanied by overwrought music for any "emotional" scene or quirky/jaunty music for Tilly "comedy" moments. 

Enjoyed The Sanctuary probably best episode of this series. The premise of this series is good but I think they have too many characters. Michael is pretty much lucky loose cannon and they are backing her up as she will just do her thing if they don't. Would have made more sense if she went off with book and still follow them along with discovery's story and they could come together at the end of the season. 

Not sure Georgiou works as a regular cast member feels like they are kind of rehashing the tyler situation using her this season. If Michael and book went off for a bit could see her going with them and could work but she works better just popping up every couple episodes. 

Hope they take opportunity with the spore drive to go to gamma/delta quadrants revisit where voyager and DS9 went. Would like to know the fate of the borg. 

On 05/12/2020 at 14:35, grazza said:

Not sure Georgiou works as a regular cast member feels like they are kind of rehashing the tyler situation using her this season. If Michael and book went off for a bit could see her going with them and could work but she works better just popping up every couple episodes. 

Have to admit that she's always welcome on my screen, especially when she's wearing the leather look uniform. 

On 12/12/2020 at 14:19, NewBornBairn said:

The Terran parallel universe is getting a bit pantomime villainesque. Very 2 dimensional. 

Aye, it always has been a bit. I remember the DS9 parallel universe episodes hamming it up quite a bit too but the average quality of episode was far higher in DS9 so is easier to forgive.

This show has 5 or so characters who’ve been in it from the start but I’ve no idea what their names are or anything about them and they’re jus glorified extras.

It makes it harder to take it seriously when they do things like give up their whole lives to travel hundreds of years in the future for Burnham when they’ve never established why they have that kind of bond. The show keeps having characters break down emotionally and tell Burnham how amazing she is every few episodes but besides Tilly and Saru none of them have ever really done anything with those characters to justify it either.

On 12/12/2020 at 14:19, NewBornBairn said:

The Terran parallel universe is getting a bit pantomime villainesque. Very 2 dimensional. 

The biggest problem with the mirror universe is that I don't care what happens there.  It might be the same actors playing the same roles but in reality they are not the same roles, I know nothing about them and even when a main character is killed off it has no effect on me at all.

(Exceptions would be Lorca who we got to know in the Prime universe first, Georghiu who came into the prime universe, the Mirror Spock and some characters in DS9 who were nasty in the Prime universe but really nice in the Mirror universe - such as Brunt).

I felt the same with the JJ Abrahms reboot films.