Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I also figured there's going to be some timey wimey shenanigans that will result in Michael being wiped from history to bring everything back in line with canon. 

I’m not sure on that one given the way they have chosen to integrate this story with Pikes canon.

I do wonder if the sphere and the knowledge retained there are a nod to the old Borg sphere and the missing data needs to be assimilated. Could be wrong but we’ll find out soon enough.

Even with some of these more intriguing strands it has still been a clunker. They seem to have tried to generate some fake emotion with the crew death, Michaels mother, etc... but for me it’s all been bum notes. The new Spock has been unimpressive as well but hard to blame the actor given the recent script, plotting and direction.

6 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah.  A couple of excellent episodes, but i fear that a really obvious ending is approaching.  Some of the plot devices in the last few episodes have made little or no sense. 

And Control is going to end up as the proto-Borg, right? 

The line from Control about "Struggle being pointless" was a wee bit on the nose.

All that fuss over time travel, someone should tell them that it just requires a quick warp into the sun then breakaway at the right time. No need for time suits.

They could've used the original enterprise set ups.

Have they forgotten that Spock has a brother....

On 12/04/2019 at 08:23, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah.  A couple of excellent episodes, but i fear that a really obvious ending is approaching.  Some of the plot devices in the last few episodes have made little or no sense. 

And Control is going to end up as the proto-Borg, right? 

If it is (I think that's the way they're going).  It would actually tie up canon but also unless something specific happens break canon (again).

If this is is a Borg Origin story, then it would make sense why Sol is in Sector 001 but unless they are going to be thrown back in time then we have a Canon break from TNG and Voyager

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

If it is (I think that's the way they're going).  It would actually tie up canon but also unless something specific happens break canon (again).

If this is is a Borg Origin story, then it would make sense why Sol is in Sector 001 but unless they are going to be thrown back in time then we have a Canon break from TNG and Voyager

Did they not also tie in Star Trek TMP and Vger as an origin of the Borg.  Was that Voyager? 

Caught up on the latest two last night. Decent enough I suppose although I'm not a fan of the whole "time crystal" thing given the Temporal Cold War stuff in Enterprise, all the time travel stuff in the other series and Original film series and the lack of any of the stuff about them when Next Generation visited Borath in the episode about Kayless. Also not sure why the blonde replacement for Ariam rhe Android would be so keen on staying on the ship when she's had about 4 minutes of screen time and no lines. It's a hard enough stretch believing that the regulars would just give up the rest of their life for Burnam let alone someone we don't know. A shame if that is the end of Anson Mount as Pike as he's been the best thing about the second series. I'd definitely watch a prequel show about his 5 year mission pre-Kirk.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Caught up on the latest two last night. Decent enough I suppose although I'm not a fan of the whole "time crystal" thing given the Temporal Cold War stuff in Enterprise, all the time travel stuff in the other series and Original film series and the lack of any of the stuff about them when Next Generation visited Borath in the episode about Kayless. Also not sure why the blonde replacement for Ariam rhe Android would be so keen on staying on the ship when she's had about 4 minutes of screen time and no lines. It's a hard enough stretch believing that the regulars would just give up the rest of their life for Burnam let alone someone we don't know. A shame if that is the end of Anson Mount as Pike as he's been the best thing about the second series. I'd definitely watch a prequel show about his 5 year mission pre-Kirk.

Yes the crew staying and the montage of them dictating letters to loved ones was terrible, the silliness of the other randoms  staying just added to it. As well as Pike I’ve also enjoyed the sporadic appearances of the Engineer they rescued whose pragmatism is good against some of the more supercilious other characters.

On 13/04/2019 at 13:01, KnightswoodBear said:

Did they not also tie in Star Trek TMP and Vger as an origin of the Borg.  Was that Voyager? 

That feels like something that might have happened in one of those really awful Shatner penned stories but don't think it was ever committed to on screen....

On 4/13/2019 at 23:54, KnightswoodBear said:

I may have mentioned this before, but I WANT AN ENTERPRISE SERIES WITH CAPTAIN PIKE! 

It's set up for it now.

However, would it be possible for engineering to fit circuit breakers so if the ship is hit in the engines the control panel on the bridge doesn't explode with a shower of sparks?

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

It's set up for it now.

However, would it be possible for engineering to fit circuit breakers so if the ship is hit in the engines the control panel on the bridge doesn't explode with a shower of sparks?

Yeah, but how would the actors know to fall over in varying directions?