Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

2 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

So how are they going to tie up that the crew of Discovery broke General Order 7 (punishable by death)

They said that it was forbidden to go there, they never mentioned that bit, which makes me think that the events of this series are going to make them introduce that.  As for the rest of your post, probably some deus ex machina plot device.

edit:  I loved the wee "previously on" bit at the start for people who may not have seen the original pilot episode.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Aye, I still think the story telling is an utter mess, but the characters and actors make up a lot of ground to keep it watchable. Kinda wish they'd just started with season 2's plot and Captain Pike on the Discovery then the nonsensical Klingon arc from season 1. If nothing else, Jason Isaacs deserved better.

Seeing the little teaser to The Cage was a nice, and was also a reminder of a couple of other points:

1. Star Trek really did start off as a not very subtle rip off of the film Forbidden Planet.

2. Rodenberry was a lucky, but not good show runner who did three pilots for two Star Trek shows: The Cage, Where No Man Has Gone Before and Encounter at Farpoint, and two of those were straight up shite. "Where No Man..." is streets ahead of "The Cage" even as it tackles a number of similar topics relating to Extra Sensory Powers, yet Rodenberry was still exceedingly lucky that Jeffery Hunter was too busy to do the new pilot. There is a massive debt owed to Shatner who's early take on Kirk was a nice mix of irascibility and easy going authority. He got hammy as hell later, obviously. 

So, who do we think the Red Angel is? Being Discovery it's got to be someone we've already met, right? Burnham herself somehow catapulted 500 years into the future? Good Lorca - a chance to bring back Isaacs?  There is a Picard series coming out, could be good synergy?  

12 minutes ago, killieshire said:

That was rubbish, particularly with how high the bar was set last week.

Agreed. Poor this week sadly.

The 'ALIENS' bit had more possibilities.

I'm struggling to give a shit about this any more and I love Star Trek. The whole Section 31 thing and now this super super bad thing that's going to destroy all living things in the entire universe. Yawn.

I quite liked that episode although I'm not sure how Leland didn't die having a spike rammed through his eyeball (even allowing for the next bit with the AI). The Klingons haven't been in it for a bit so I assume they'll be back soon and have something to do with it all. No doubt with Ariam in tow since nobody ever seems to die.

Another good episode, loved how they tied in Pike towards his ultimate fate and also gave us a possible reason of why/how he ends up at Talos IV after "The Menagerie", he now knows he is locked into that fate and can plan with Spock to take him back there and be reunited with Vina, I liked that flash forward and it ties it in with the canon!!!
Perhaps the first real life portrayal of Robert April can take over the Discovery for Season 3!!!

On 4/6/2019 at 23:15, killieshire said:

Other than one excellent episode (Talos/ Pike) and the one good episode (the earth community) this has been rubbish. It’s a real shame as it’s a good cast, with Anson Mount really good as Pike.

Yeah.  A couple of excellent episodes, but i fear that a really obvious ending is approaching.  Some of the plot devices in the last few episodes have made little or no sense. 

And Control is going to end up as the proto-Borg, right? 

28 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Yeah.  A couple of excellent episodes, but i fear that a really obvious ending is approaching.  Some of the plot devices in the last few episodes have made little or no sense. 

And Control is going to end up as the proto-Borg, right? 

Yes that was my assumption on where it was going.