Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

Please, please make it better. I've been watching old original series and TNG episodes recently and boy, do I miss those days. Exploration, diplomacy, problem solving, humanity - yes, the occasional fight but not too much. 

• 3 months later...

Looks good enough - I certainly enjoyed most of the first series - but disappointed with the lack of Lorca as I'd hoped/assumed the "good" Lorca was going to be found in this series somewhere. Maybe he is and they're keeping that secret for now. Who is the new captain? I almost half recognise him from somewhere.

Looks good enough - I certainly enjoyed most of the first series - but disappointed with the lack of Lorca as I'd hoped/assumed the "good" Lorca was going to be found in this series somewhere. Maybe he is and they're keeping that secret for now. Who is the new captain? I almost half recognise him from somewhere.

If you mean who is the new Captain, it's Christopher Pike, if you mean the actor, it's Anson Mount, who was Cullen Bohannon in Hell On Wheels and Black Bolt in The Inhumans!!!

57 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

If you mean who is the new Captain, it's Christopher Pike, if you mean the actor, it's Anson Mount, who was Cullen Bohannon in Hell On Wheels and Black Bolt in The Inhumans!!!

Argh, Inhumans. I'd almost wiped that crap from my memory, now it's back!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

It's an ok Sci-fi show.   

Not Star Trek though.  

Basically this.

Another thing, we're into season two and I still can't name most of the bridge crew. Seems too focused on around 4 characters.

21 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Actually? I found s1 hard work so dithering about bothering with s2. Is it better?

I gave up when they had the long break in series one. Too military for me, none of the philosophy and diplomacy of at least trying to do the right thing, and the weird physics they'd encounter in the old Star Trek. Heard S2 might be more old style.

Edited by welshbairn

Just watched it.
(Wont spoiler)
Was awesome.
Thought it was quite good with a few wee Easter Eggs and the like. Wouldn't go as far as awesome but thought it was a very good re-introduction.
Actually? I found s1 hard work so dithering about bothering with s2. Is it better?
Think some parts of s1 were a bit weak and this was much better than that. There were a few good episodes in s1, it was up there with them. It's not Next Generation but nothing much is.
Basically this.
Another thing, we're into season two and I still can't name most of the bridge crew. Seems too focused on around 4 characters.

They must have heard you! Not a huge spoilet but in one scene on the bridge, they all introduced themselves. Didn't know the robot lassie even had a name tbh.

I thought it was a fantastic opening episode.  Really like the new Captain Pike and they seem to be trying to address the fact that there was a load of characters who really had no purpose in S1.

It also seems like this season will be more along the Trek lines of investigating something strange and unexplained.  

And I think I love Tilly.