Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

Apparently this quasi religious, racist, klingon for the klingon's faction in the series is based on Trump supporters. 

I have my doubts about the show mostly due to them refusing any early screenings for reviewers and critics. That is usually a bad sign, being set in the JJ verse rather than the prime doesn't sit well with me either. The JJ verse feels like a watered down trek to make it more appealing to non trekkies, Absolutely hope to be proven otherwise though because i love Star Trek and the cast is solid

Edited by EdgarusQPFC

37 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Apparently this quasi religious, racist, klingon for the klingon's faction in the series is based on Trump supporters. 

I have my doubts about the show mostly due to them refusing any early screenings for reviewers and critics. That is usually a bad sign, being set in the JJ verse rather than the prime doesn't sit well with me either. The JJ verse feels like a watered down trek to make it more appealing to non trekkies, Absolutely hope to be proven otherwise though because i love Star Trek and the cast is solid

It is set in the Prime universe apparently.

22 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

It is set in the Prime universe apparently.

I've heard claims that is true but it can't be, the bridge is in the style and tech of JJ verse ships and the Klingons are identical to those shown in the second JJ film plus they are rocking about in ships that look like Upgraded Negh'var class ships at a time they should have been using D7 ships. If it truly is set in the prime, then they are doing a massive retcon. Its meant to be set 10 years prior to TOS from what im seeing, that would place it around 2255, at a time when the best that the Federation had was the Constitution Class. 

6 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

I've heard claims that is true but it can't be, the bridge is in the style and tech of JJ verse ships and the Klingons are identical to those shown in the second JJ film plus they are rocking about in ships that look like Upgraded Negh'var class ships at a time they should have been using D7 ships. If it truly is set in the prime, then they are doing a massive retcon. Its meant to be set 10 years prior to TOS from what im seeing, that would place it around 2255, at a time when the best that the Federation had was the Constitution Class. 

Dunno. Time will tell. It's possible that a conflict with the Klingon Empire could force forward technology.

Or it'll be an experimental ship.

Edited by The Saintee

53 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

They might be designing stuff to look good to a new audience rather than being tied to a technological and time stream from decades ago. Hopefully it will work on it's own narrative. Have my doubts though, the trailers look a bit low budget and formulaic, really hope I'm wrong. Surprised there's little hype about it, I only found out on the Radio Times website when looking for something else.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

They might be designing stuff to look good to a new audience rather than being tied to a technological and time stream from decades ago. Hopefully it will work on it's own narrative. Have my doubts though, the trailers look a bit low budget and formulaic, really hope I'm wrong. Surprised there's little hype about it, I only found out on the Radio Times website when looking for something else.

I think because its exclusive to a online streaming service they have been focusing their ads to social media/websites

1 hour ago, The Saintee said:

Star Trek has always been a bit shaky with continuity anyway.

Not really, The only show i can think of that kinda did something like that was Enterprise and TBH im dreading this will basically be the new enterprise in the eyes of the fans.

11 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

I think because its exclusive to a online streaming service they have been focusing their ads to social media/websites

Not really, The only show i can think of that kinda did something like that was Enterprise and TBH im dreading this will basically be the new enterprise in the eyes of the fans.

I thought Enterprise could have been great but for some dreadful casting. Really liked the plot lines.

57 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

They are fairly inconsistent about some things like the maximum warp speed and the motivations of the Borg from what I recall. 

But the various storylines etc are just too big and have too many people involved to be 100% perfect. 

Anyway, I'm happy to give the new show a chance.

Watched the first episode and I enjoyed it.  Not entirely sure what "universe" it's supposed to be in, but it certainly has the look of the new Trek films, although the ships do look like upgraded versions of the ship from the Enterprise series.

I quite like the new look for the Klingons as well.