Dunfermline Athletic vs Dundee United

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did like the aggressive play of splaine when he came on. Not sure how we could accommodate all three mids and wingers but united just played a high line and we didn't know what to do.

Playing Nat further up would be a nice idea but them who covers behind? 

The stats in the papers back up some of our fans thoughts on 1-3 being a little flattering. We had more possession, shots and corners.

Also how many saves did Murdoch have to make outside the goals? 

United deserved to win but it wasn't some fantastic performance.

As I've said before, it was a prime example of one manager getting the better of the other tactically.

McKinnon set United up perfectly to nullify our attack, we then gifted them two goals and they scored a screamer for the third.

My main concern isn't AJ getting outsmarted but the fact that there was little/no effective reaction until the last 15 mins. 

Regardless, we've had a good start to the season, there's obviously still some areas that need work but overall, very happy with what we've shown so far.

I didn't think either team played that well this week tbh and I don't I think there was too much between the sides in general. 

Fyvie's second goal was a thunderbolt and the two goals in the first half were well taken and credit must go to United for being clinical. 

They stopped us playing and that allowed them to control the game, especially after it went to 1-0. 

I felt Jordie Briels was lucky to not get red carded as he committed numerous niggly fouls and if we hadn't scored our chance I think play would have been brought back for a second yellow. As it was, Don Robertson never went back to the precious incident; the sending off would've been immaterial in the end as I couldn't see is getting back into the match tbh. 

A poor performance but nothing to be disheartened about IMO. A long way to go in the season and we have started well. 

I have written a match report and for anyone interested, it can be found on my website here; https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/10/01/injury-and-illness-doesnt-affect-united-as-they-move-up-to-second/

26 minutes ago, Emil Borkhausen said:

Over the 90 Utd were the better team and deserved the victory. We scored with our first two chances though, both of which came from Dunfermline making a howling c**t of clearing their lines. Then football suddenly becomes a very easy game when you're 2-0 up.

I thought Utd looked dangerous on the break which is where this team's strength lies imo. We also definitely look better with two up front and with Ray now permitting the full-backs to cross the half-way line, things people have been screaming out for for weeks.

I expected more from Dunfermline but it may have just been a bad day at the office.

Surely this won't work though as most teams in this league will sit back against you?

1 hour ago, Emil Borkhausen said:

Over the 90 Utd were the better team and deserved the victory. We scored with our first two chances though, both of which came from Dunfermline making a howling c**t of clearing their lines. Then football suddenly becomes a very easy game when you're 2-0 up.

I thought Utd looked dangerous on the break which is where this team's strength lies imo. We also definitely look better with two up front and with Ray now permitting the full-backs to cross the half-way line, things people have been screaming out for for weeks.

I expected more from Dunfermline but it may have just been a bad day at the office.

Finally a decent summary of the game & how I saw it.

We can & will play better than this. We have made a good start but in the games I've seen us win we've certainly got our fair share of the breaks & it would appear to me that certainly St Mirren, Falkirk & Inverness can & will play better than when we faced them. So it was inevitable that that kind of combination might come to an end at some point.

United are not spectacular but they were better than us & probably have the depth of squad that the likes of us & the others don't have.

Cardle being out is a sore one for us & I think he would've gave Flood problems.

Play offs is still our aim so not to despondent about Saturday.

Archived