Can the world survive?

SweeperDee

After somebody on here (can't remember the poster) recommended Dan Carlin's horrible history podcasts, I decided to give it a go. Working my way through his World War 1 series, and obviously hearing the horrendous accounts and stories of individual battles, it's got me pondering:

Although trench warfare is now a thing of the past, and "battles" are now most likely fought from 100s of miles away from each other through the use of drones, air strikes, and other applications of modern war technology; could the planet sustain a conflict whereby every global superpower were pitted against each other in some fashion?

Would it all end up in a cataclysm of fire and brimstone? Would nukes even be used? Who would win in a hypothetical world war? Would the planet recover?

9 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Would nukes even be used?

Even though they probably certainly know that we probably wouldn't, they don't certainly know that, although we probably wouldn't, there is no probability that we certainly would!

Round the world and home again
That’s the sailor’s way
Faster faster, faster faster

There’s no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There’s no knowing where we’re rowing
Or which way the river’s flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a-blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they’re certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing

23 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

Although trench warfare is now a thing of the past, and "battles" are now most likely fought from 100s of miles away from each other through the use of drones, air strikes, and other applications of modern war technology; 

Pish.

There has never been a time in history with more active urban battlegrounds.

After somebody on here (can't remember the poster) recommended Dan Carlin's horrible history podcasts, I decided to give it a go. Working my way through his World War 1 series, and obviously hearing the horrendous accounts and stories of individual battles, it's got me pondering:

Although trench warfare is now a thing of the past, and "battles" are now most likely fought from 100s of miles away from each other through the use of drones, air strikes, and other applications of modern war technology; could the planet sustain a conflict whereby every global superpower were pitted against each other in some fashion?

Would it all end up in a cataclysm of fire and brimstone? Would nukes even be used? Who would win in a hypothetical world war? Would the planet recover?

You should contact Dan on Twitter and ask him to do an episode about the battle of the Dundee station where you sat in the trenches and let your old man go over the top on his own.

Shitebag.

Archived