'Best place' to work and live in the UK

Cerberus

When I was playing for an ice hockey team in Edinburgh we'd usually go on an end of season tour to England and or Wales. Among other glamorous locations such as Swindon and Deeside, North Wales, we visited Slough for a friendly. From what I remember rather than being full of UKIP types,  it was more the people UKIP voters hate. Very Asian. There was one married guy on our team who insisted we go to a strip club while there and being #ladz we agreed. We were having a pretty good time, got a couple dances etc then a group of maybe 15 Asian guys came in, sat around the stage with blank looks on their faces in silence, never saw any of them get a private dance. It was quite bizarre.

Anyway, Slough was indeed a shitehole that wouldn't have looked out of place in Ayrshire. If you like the sound of planes all night and day though, it's the place to be

14 minutes ago, Torpar said:

When I was playing for an ice hockey team in Edinburgh we'd usually go on an end of season tour to England and or Wales. Among other glamorous locations such as Swindon and Deeside, North Wales, we visited Slough for a friendly. From what I remember rather than being full of UKIP types,  it was more the people UKIP voters hate. Very Asian. There was one married guy on our team who insisted we go to a strip club while there and being #ladz we agreed. We were having a pretty good time, got a couple dances etc then a group of maybe 15 Asian guys came in, sat around the stage with blank looks on their faces in silence, never saw any of them get a private dance. It was quite bizarre.

Anyway, Slough was indeed a shitehole that wouldn't have looked out of place in Ayrshire. If you like the sound of planes all night and day though, it's the place to be

Are you sure you didn't wander it to the local mosque by mistake?

Great question for folk of my generation who's town was battered to f**k by Thatcher.

I'm now in Dundee and I like the way the place is heading. My son and daughter have alternated between Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow in their studies so got to know all these cities, possibly feeling most at home in Leith - liked the seaport identity having been brought up in the Leven/ Methil area...

No right answer to these 'best places' things, whatever works for you. I happily live in a part of the country I never imagined I'd stay for any length of time but it suits us.  For years my escape fantasy whenever the missus was doing my head in was to move back to my old Edinburgh flat but a few years back I was doing it up before re-letting it and realised I'd fecking hate to live in a City again, suburban bliss is where its at for this cat and new build suburbia is pretty much new build suburbia, most places have good and bad bits and as the missus has vetoed us moving out to the country and getting a small holding I'm happy where I am. I'm sure I'd be just as happy in plenty of other places too, I'm easily pleased thankfully.

On 9/22/2017 at 22:16, Cerberus said:

Is that really the best place in Britain?

No, far too far south.

Is it a life long dream of yours to go live in Slough?

No.

Do you already live in Slough and want to gloat?

f**k no. 

Quite happy where I am in Lincolnshire :) 

I've worked and stayed in digs in Slough twice. Very close to the Office building so you could smell the chocolate from the Mars factory. It's best feature is its proximity to Windsor which has everything that Slough hasn't. As mentioned earlier it is very culturally cosmopolitan. Apart from that it's shite.

21 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

Slough could be a tropical paradise of palm-strewn beaches, turquoise waters and quaint historic coastal townships, but it'd still be called Slough, so would remain an utter dump.

But isn't "Bath" a haven for the simple minded?

What should we call this warm spring Julius?

Bath. 

Yeah, the locals will love it.

7 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

Slough is an ethnic toilet.

There's heehaw wrong with ethnic toilets.  I live in one and much prefer it to a monoculture.

As for Slough?  My eldest was born in Wexham Park hospital so I know the area well.  There are plenty of well paid jobs in the town plus getting to 'white flight' towns such as Beaconsfield is a breeze.

Just now, The_Kincardine said:

There's heehaw wrong with ethnic toilets.  I live in one and much prefer it to a monoculture.

As for Slough?  My eldest was born in Wexham Park hospital so I know the area well.  There are plenty of well paid jobs in the town plus getting to 'white flight' towns such as Beaconsfield is a breeze.

Congratulations.

Genuinely chuffed for you.

Archived