Alloa v Rovers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Maybe jims time is up, feel our last home late win at home just papered over the cracks.

Totally agree about papering over the cracks against a very poor Forfar side, but doubt we are anywhere near Jim's time being up. It's still very early days and the chairman is known for backing his managers. I've had concerns about Goodwin the manager from pretty early on, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get plenty of time to try and turn it around. 

Totally agree about papering over the cracks against a very poor Forfar side, but doubt we are anywhere near Jim's time being up. It's still very early days and the chairman is known for backing his managers. I've had concerns about Goodwin the manager from pretty early on, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get plenty of time to try and turn it around. 

Yeah that is true, but we could be in deep trouble if we go on much longer, as soon as forfar appoint a manager they will get a lift.

Always felt we missed a trick not appointing darren as manager.

Wasnt at the game so don't know the context of what happened with Fleming but i've always believed if you shout abuse at a player then you have to expect a retaliation. 

I don't really see it in the Fleming case, it wasn't bad abuse he was getting. Way he has been playing and the team as a whole, he should keep his head down and get better. It's been pretty woeful from him recently and should be embarrassed.

I'm a fan of Kris Renton. He gets pelters but he works his socks off and it's kind of coming off for him now. Fleming, who has plenty experience, should take a few notes from him.

9 hours ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Do you think the alloa board now regret not paying rovers the money to get young in last year

7 hours ago, falkirkwasp said:

Always felt we missed a trick not appointing darren as manager.

Rovers were looking for a crazy amount of compensation, a figure which made any potential move for Darren a complete non starter.

Darren was even prepared to pay some of the compensation out of his own pocket, but Rovers board wouldn't budge and lower the figure.

So club did approach Darren, and Darren was interested in coming- club really appear to be pretty blameless in this instance though.

Its a well known story at the rovers that alloa got in contact with the rovers. And when they heard the figure rovers were due they hung up the phone and never got back to rovers.

With regards to rovers asking for a big fee you need to remember young was on a big wage which drove the price up.

If alloa wanted him that bad why didnt they appiont goodwin till end of the season then get darren when his contract ran out

37 minutes ago, Chris_the_rover said:

Its a well known story at the rovers that alloa got in contact with the rovers. And when they heard the figure rovers were due they hung up the phone and never got back to rovers.

With regards to rovers asking for a big fee you need to remember young was on a big wage which drove the price up.

If alloa wanted him that bad why didnt they appiont goodwin till end of the season then get darren when his contract ran out

I don't personally see any issue with the way Rovers board handled it at the time. It obviously disgruntled Darren Young, and maybe influenced what followed there with his departure. But nobody wants to lose a manager who is doing the business.

I doubt Goodwin would have gone for that temporary arrangement and we really needed a solid appointment after Jack Ross left. Imagine for example, if we had won promotion through play offs- which we really should have achieved (nothing against Brechin there). It would have been tough to demote Goodwin again having achieved promotion.

As far as Goodwin as manager goes, there's still much work to be done- and it certainly hasn't gone as well as he probably hoped. But in such a small league, a couple of wins and a bit of momentum changes everything. In 3 or 4 weeks time any club could potentially be in an entirely different place. I think he will get plenty opportunities to turn it round. Despite not being nearly as strong as last season, it's still a decent squad of players that we need to get more out of. 

2 hours ago, Father Barrys Sign (Top Half) said:

I don't personally see any issue with the way Rovers board handled it at the time. It obviously disgruntled Darren Young, and maybe influenced what followed there with his departure. But nobody wants to lose a manager who is doing the business.

I don't think it influenced his departure. Darren was never going to accept the drop to a manager-only wage that was necessitated by his retirement as a player. I'm not sure he fancied the much-reduced playing budget either, having been used to relative largesse for three years

What Darren's disgruntlement did influence was the complete capitulation towards the end of last season once safety was achieved; why put foundations in place for the following season when you and your acolytes are going to be spread round various other clubs, and you're angry at how you've been treated.

With three full-time teams in the league I didn't expect Alloa to get promoted this season but Goodwin should be doing better. He inherited an excellent team from Jack Ross, okay he lost a few players but he should have been looking to keep up that standard. (And got rid of Neil Parry)

1 hour ago, Albino Rover said:

With three full-time teams in the league I didn't expect Alloa to get promoted this season but Goodwin should be doing better. He inherited an excellent team from Jack Ross, okay he lost a few players but he should have been looking to keep up that standard. (And got rid of Neil Parry)

He should be doing better and getting a bit more out of what we have, but he's had to replace some big players over summer with a reduced budget. Going by recruitment I'm not surprised we've dropped in terms of quality. A lot of the issues we could see coming a bit. I don't think he's found a solution when the onus is on us to take it to the opposition- and if you want to compete near the top, then this is a requirement. I'm surprised some folk are looking for a sacking at this stage though, and while we are jostling around mid table, providing he has the backing of the squad I think he will be given every chance. 

Parry isn't perfect but he's been a strong performer since he joined. Even this season I don't think any blame goes in his direction...

Archived