Let Down XI

R.R.FC

Reading the East Fife thread about a few players who came in with good reputations and never performed got me thinking about who would make up a 'Let Down XI' at each side. This isn't necessarily the worst players, just players who you had high hopes for with good reputations but then flopped or never performed anything above average. 

My Rovers XI would be: 

Lee Robinson (Came in with rave reviews from QOS fans, was pretty hopeless barring the Ramsdens Cup Final.)

Simon Mensing (Always played at a good level in Scotland but best days were behind him with us.)

Eddie Malone (Always a player I really rated at Ayr and Dundee but was the definition of average for us.)

Andy Tod (Pars hero, legs gone by the time he ended up at Starks.)

Barrie McKay (Promising youngster who thought he was better than us, his career path since shows he was right but he never showed it in a Rovers jersey.)

Martin Scott (Highly rated at Ross County and Livi was murder for us. Not helped by being played upfront on occasion.)

Ryan McCord (Arguably one of the best part time footballers in the country in his time at Alloa. Always stood out. Never adjusted to full time football though and disappointed in most appearances.)

Juan Guerrero (He's Spanish, he must be good)

Chris Johnston (Some Killie fans told us he was too good for us if he stayed injury free. They were wrong.)

Craig Wighton (Tough on the young lad joining us at 18 but not helped by wild overhyping by Dundee fans. We thought we were getting some sort of wonderkid, what we got was a huge let down.)

Jon Daly (We were screaming out for an experienced target man, he ticked all the boxes. Turns out he was too experienced. One season too many, he was finished.)

Substitutes:

Jamie Langfield

Derek Carcary

Denis Prychynenko

Rudi Skacel

Paul Harvey

Ian Harty 

Beto Carranza

Managed by John Hughes of course. 

I really struggled for defenders. We've had some poor defenders but never many hyped up to be anything else. I'm probably missed a few obvious ones.

Apologies for the size of text. On my phone and can't see where to change it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

Got o disagree about Mensing. When he came to the Rovers he added strength and experience to back 4.

It is harsh tbf but we've been blessed with some good centre backs in recent times. Bene, Barr, Toshney, Murray, Campbell, Ellis, Andrews even Watson and Hill. The worst ones such as Ross Perry and Chris McLeod were ones who had no expectation of being anything other than hopeless.

Sure there must be a centre back I'm missing though. 

Thomas Gill - went to the world World Cup with Norway, played maybe 3 games, looked like an outfield player in goals, was reportedly on £3500 a week, left after a month
Arthur Albiston - former Scotland and Man U fullback, signed by Burley, lasted long enough to be humiliated by Richard Cadette
Austin McCann - decent pedigree, past it as a footballer when he played
Luc Sonor - let down by the amount of times he actually played
Michael Renwick - decent player at Hibs, not at Ayr
Gary Harkins - because he is Gary Harkins
Ryan Stevenson(second time) - given up as a footballer
Allan Trouten - player of the year for every team, yet to do anything in an Ayr shirt in 2 spells
Marco Chiardi - the man that silenced the Neu Camp, apparently he was too advanced for his team mates which would explain why he overhit every ball
Colin McGlashin - scored sod all
Nigel Jemson - former million pound player, did very little

Willie Muir - Big expectations after signing from Queen's Park last summer. A handful of average performances and back to Hampden before the end of autumn.
Michael Renwick - I've no idea how he managed to play so many games for Hibs.
Ben Gordon - Similar to Muir. Arrived with a bit of fanfare, disappointed and was gone after a few games.
Stephen Hughes - There wasn't much left of whatever he had by the time he got to us.
Neil Janczyk - Part two of the most un-dynamic midfield duo in football history with Hughes.
Derek Riordan - Again, despite not being that old, was absolutely done by the time he got to Bayview.
Pat Clarke - Wasn't that bad for us but seemed to have been a great player everywhere before.
Jon McShane - Like Clarke, not awful, just never lived up to the reputation he arrived with.
Bobby Barr - Was pretty decent with us but seems to have been and gone on to be much better everywhere else.

Can't think of a LB and 2nd CB at the moment.

I won't name a starting 11 as I'd be inclined to agree with the bulk of the players mentioned so far. McKay and Wighton are the main two for me, certainly in recent times anyway. McKay clearly couldn't be arsed when with us and Wighton just seemed lost most weeks. Wighton in particular was hyped up big time by Dundee fans who seemed to get their knickers in a twist when any criticism was aimed at him. 

GK - Colin Scott (In my younger days I remember foolishly thinking that because had been at Rangers he might be alright, he wasn't.)

CB - Graham Mitchell (An English defender who we signed while in the Premier league. He had racked up 300 appearances down south for the likes of Huddersfield and Bradford and should have been in the peak of his career. He wasn't.)

CB - Craig Barr (Struggling to think of another centre back who didn't live up to expectations so I've included Barr here just because his injuries meant we didn't get what we should've from him.)

LB - Paul Bonar (We paid about £100k for him from Airdrie and after impressing in his first few games I  thought we had signed a rising star. We hadn't and within a few years I think he had disappeared from the senior set up completely.)

RB -Jack Perry (While this guy had no real standing in the game, considering he was on the books of QPR it was reasonable to expect he would bring  some level of competence to the infamous Anelka squad. Instead the guy looked as though he had never even seen a game of football before, let alone played in one.)

CM - Jim McInally (I thought when we signed him he would have the same sort of impact as Dave Narey did when he left United. I was wrong, he was bloody awful for us.)

CM - John Millar (Signed from Hearts where he had been a regular for a number of years. Did nothing for us except, funnily enough, score a double to knock Hibs out of the Scottish Cup one year. Surprised Gary Locke didn't try to sign him last season.)

LM - Ian Cameron (A player who had always impressed against us but just didn't do it for us. Possibly signed a couple of years too late.)

RM - Paul Harvey (Routinely excellent against us for Airdrie, our £250k record signing had to be money well spent, right? Wrong.)

CF - Kenny MacDonald (Another big money signing from Airdrie who banged the goals in until he came to us. The first big signing we made in my time supporting Rovers, he wasn't a complete disaster statistically but didn't click with Dalziel and most of the goals I remember him scoring were penalties. Shipped to St Johnstone for about half what we paid for him I believe.)

CF - Andy Walker (Signed on loan only a couple of years after Sheffield United paid £500k for him. His attitude was even worse than Barrie McKay's. A complete waste of a hefty wage.)

Manager - John 'Yogi' Hughes (no explanation needed.)

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Marco Chiardi - the man that silenced the Neu Camp, apparently he was too advanced for his team mates which would explain why he overhit every ball

I've never heard of him so he must be before my time, how did he silence the Nou Camp?

My fellow Ayr fan has listed most of them already but the best example is Gary Harkins.

There's clearly a footballer in there somewhere but unfortunately he's a lazy b*****d most of the time so we never really saw it. He started off really well and I think he was involved in almost all our goals up until around Christmas when he pretty much gave up.

Also Alan Trouten. Arguably the consistently best player in this league in the last 4 or 5 years with something like 50 goals from midfield and an all round good footballer. Joined us for his second spell and just couldn't replicate it. Forced onto the right hand side with very little impact on games. Although I'd argue he's one of the best penalty takers in Scotland.

GK Barry John Corr - Former Celtic, Stranraer, Motherwell and QOTS goalkeeper signed to compete with Mark McGeown for the goalkeepers jersey. Started the 07/08 season as number 1 and seem equally capable of producing a brilliant save or throwing one in. He conceded four goals in the first half against Ross County at home and started crying and was never seen again after halftime.

RB Jean-Yves Anis - played for Partick Thistle in the SPL. I remember being buzzing that we signed him, but I don't remember him doing much in an Ayr shirt. 

CB Austin McCann - had a good career in his day, but was past it when he arrived at Ayr.

CB Kevin James - see above.

LB Scott McCulloch - fat b*****d.

RM Ryan Caddis - signed from the juniors, his first few games were reasonably impressive which led to a belief that we unearthed a real gem of a player and rumour has it that we rejected a 25000 bid from St Mirren for him. He went on to miss two penalties in a cup game against Dunfermline and his confidence just evaporated and he wasn't the same player after that.

CM Steven Ferguson - looked like a brilliant signing when he joined, but spent most of his time at Ayr injured. He was sold to Brechin City when he had recovered from his injury.

CM David Hamilton - scored a lot of goals from midfield for Stranraer the season before signing for us. Was garbage for us and went Junior soon after.

LM David Dunn - signed as a replacement for Craig Conway and a lot of Airdrie fans on here praised him saying that he would be a more than capable replacement, having won their POTY award a season. He proceeded to spent most of his two seasons at Ayr United waddling about on the wings with no pace.

CF Michael Moore - a promising start to his Ayr United career saw him net a respectable number of goals in the opening games of 07/08. However, he spat the dummy when his pal Neil Watt quit and subsequently behaved like an absolute fanny.

CF Ryan Donnelly - His form for Airdrie led to a host of Premier League and English teams sniffing around the young striker. He was pish for us and now players junior.

Manager: Neil Watt

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Lee Robinson (Came in with rave reviews from QOS fans, was pretty hopeless barring the Ramsdens Cup Final.)

I never really quite got the dislike of Lee Robinson, I thought he did a good job for us during his stint at Starks. Probably not helped by our roses tinted McGurn goggles but we've definitely had 'meh-er' keepers than him.

Pavel "Somebody's chored ma passport" Penksa for the most meh. When he came in we all hoped he'd be the saviour to our well documented GK issues last season but in the end he was just a bit shite, got himself sent off almost immediately in one of the most important games we've had in years, and has since disappeared back into obscure dark corner of Europe from which he came. 

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

GK - Colin Scott (In my younger days I remember foolishly thinking that because had been at Rangers he might be alright, he wasn't.)

CB - Graham Mitchell (An English defender who we signed while in the Premier league. He had racked up 300 appearances down south for the likes of Huddersfield and Bradford and should have been in the peak of his career. He wasn't.)

CB - Craig Barr (Struggling to think of another centre back who didn't live up to expectations so I've included Barr here just because his injuries meant we didn't get what we should've from him.)

LB - Paul Bonar (We paid about £100k for him from Airdrie and after impressing in his first few games I  thought we had signed a rising star. We hadn't and within a few years I think he had disappeared from the senior set up completely.)

RB -Jack Perry (While this guy had no real standing in the game, considering he was on the books of QPR it was reasonable to expect he would bring  some level of competence to the infamous Anelka squad. Instead the guy looked as though he had never even seen a game of football before, let alone played in one.)

CM - Jim McInally (I thought when we signed him he would have the same sort of impact as Dave Narey did when he left United. I was wrong, he was bloody awful for us.)

CM - John Millar (Signed from Hearts where he had been a regular for a number of years. Did nothing for us except, funnily enough, score a double to knock Hibs out of the Scottish Cup one year. Surprised Gary Locke didn't try to sign him last season.)

LM - Ian Cameron (A player who had always impressed against us but just didn't do it for us. Possibly signed a couple of years too late.)

RM - Paul Harvey (Routinely excellent against us for Airdrie, our £250k record signing had to be money well spent, right? Wrong.)

CF - Kenny MacDonald (Another big money signing from Airdrie who banged the goals in until he came to us. The first big signing we made in my time supporting Rovers, he wasn't a complete disaster statistically but didn't click with Dalziel and most of the goals I remember him scoring were penalties. Shipped to St Johnstone for about half what we paid for him I believe.)

CF - Andy Walker (Signed on loan only a couple of years after Sheffield United paid £500k for him. His attitude was even worse than Barrie McKay's. A complete waste of a hefty wage.)

Manager - John 'Yogi' Hughes (no explanation needed.)

I would replace Craig Barr and Jack Perry with Paul Browne and Craig McEwan. Signed for a combined £250k they  were utter pish to bang average depending on your viewpoint. Never worth the money paid for them IMHO.

Craig Barr wasn't really a let down. His injuries were just shite luck, but he was usually the best defender when he played. 

Stephen Reynolds could be a shout for this. When he signed, St Johnstone fans told us he'd scored about a thousand goals for their under 20s. He then scored one goal against Morton, then did f**k all before ending up working in an ice-cream shop in Rothesay or some malarkey. 

I would replace Craig Barr and Jack Perry with Paul Browne and Craig McEwan. Signed for a combined £250k they  were utter pish to bang average depending on your viewpoint. Never worth the money paid for them IMHO.

I thought about both of them. The both did alright for us in division 1 but it was a very poor return on what we paid. I'll substitute Browne in for Barr then.

I know he was getting on a bit but Dave Bowman was terrible in his spell with us, more interested in arguing with supporters if i recall.

Signed by Nicholl to perform the McInally role which he accomplished nicely. An added bonus was challenging a supporter to a fight outside the stadium whilst leaving the pitch.

There was a Jack that we signed for £5000 in the early 70's.  A prolific goalscorer for Arbroath we used him more as a centre half cause he was gash up front.   Another from around that era Billy McLaren didn't rate him, became a sound manager though.

Archived