Motherwell v Aberdeen - League Cup Quarter Final

rambunctious

Well done to Motherwell - very impressive display.    Totally ragdolled us all over the park.

Apart from a couple of nice flurries from Christie, there was very little from us.  The early part of the match looked like it could develop into a decent cup tie, but our reaction to the concession of the two goals was everything you wouldn't want - essentially certain players just didn't fancy it at all and went into hiding, not least the undroppable McLean again.

Arnason at least showed some level of composure when he came on, and has to be given a run of games.  Reynolds quite simply is not even half the player he was four seasons ago and giving him another cosy wee contract was a questionable decision.

Not too many of us complained about McInnes' recruitment in the summer to replace the obvious loss of key players - he now has the biggest challenge of his tenure with AFC to demonstrate he can mould them into a decent team, as despite our points tally there has not been one convincing performance as yet this season.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still processing that game tbqh. I can only echo most of the posts thus far.

There were a few ways I had thought it might have played out with the main concern being that in the same way as the 3-1 game last season this would be the game where McInnes would sort out his best team and Aberdeen would "click" with us putting in a decent enough effort but ultimately coming up short or alternatively given we've been decent in patches through most games this season then in a best case scenario we'd maybe edge it by the odd goal.

100% didn't see us steamrolling our way over the top of Aberdeen through 90 mins. For all Moult's goals have got the headlines the work rate of the side was absolutely phenomenal from Moult and Bowman up top through Campbell, McHugh and Rose in the centre with Kipré, Hartley and Hammell at the back. Absolutely every header, tackle and 2nd ball won. It was complete no fucks given football. Aggressive pressing and if we needed to take a booking then f**k it, we'll take a booking. Tait and Cadden just bombed up and down the flanks all night and Carson just shows the difference in having a goalkeeper in the side who'll come off his line and command his box. It's night and day compared to what we've seen over the past couple of seasons.

I kept waiting on Motherwell doing their whole sit back, drop deep and invite the opposition on defending a lead patter but it just didn't happen. Given the amount the team were putting into the game it says a lot for the way Robinson's got them prepared. The 3rd goal was evidence of that, 85th minute and both Moult and Bowman are chasing down the ball. It's been a long time since I've seen us play on the front foot as much. I listened back to the Sportsound podcast following the game and McFadden nails it when he says that through the 2nd half it just didn't look like it was a game Motherwell were going to lose, they completely dominated Aberdeen. Which given they beat us 7-2 back in February is quite something. Even more so as we had guys who were viewed as potentially being key signings in Bigirimana and Tanner sat on the bench because they can't get into the side right now.

Fair fucks to the Aberdeen fans on here with the magnanimous responses btw.

Edit to add: Allan Campbell tackling McInnes...some boi.

4 hours ago, Northboy said:

GMS is becoming a real disappointment. In his early days at Dundee United he showed flashes of skill which suggested he could be a bit special but he hasn't really progressed. I don't think you can say that Celtic ruined him - they have several you players doing well at the moment, you could consider Armstrong as a direct comparison. Fair enough, he didn't have too many chances at Celtic but he never really took them when they came along. I hoped Aberdeen might rejuvenate him but despite some encouraging early season form he looked out of his depth last night.

Fair point. I'm willing to give him time, and hopefull he can come good. 

Watched on the box so had the advantage of not being monumentally seething nor wasting heaps of money going down. Before I rip into our team, well played Motherwell, by far and away the better team and 3-0 did not flatter you in the slightest. A superb display of intensity. Robinson has recruited well in the summer, to fit a game plan. Go and win the cup bois!

As for us, well, I've been moaning after every game in the last month, and all the complaints came home to roost last night. Simply put, McInnes doesn't have a clue what his best team is, what his best formation is and what style of play we should play. The recruitment in the summer was decent, however, all good players as they may be, no real defining style to them, and it shows now. We are disjointed every week, our midfield is powderpuff and he's chopped and changed wingers so often that all three are now out of form and shot of confidence. As for centre half, the glaring issue of the last two seasons has again not been sorted.

Or perhaps it does, if he would play Arnason. The formation has changed so often recently that even I don't know what we are meant to be doing. Settle a style and formation down then try to pick the personnel to suit it.

I'm not normally one for slagging individuals off but here we go: McLean offers nigh on nothing and is undroppable, thus reducing the effectiveness of Christie, GMS has been nothing short of a disappointment so far and really needs to work harder, Ball looks every inch a Scottish Championship level player, Reynolds is finished as a decent defender and when we need to play Considine, could a wide player who offered him some protection not have been sought?

No excuses for that performance and it has been a month in the coming. The manager got a very healthy increase to his remuneration to stay, now it is time to justify it. He's the man to blame, he has to sort it.

2 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Watched on the box so had the advantage of not being monumentally seething nor wasting heaps of money going down. Before I rip into our team, well played Motherwell, by far and away the better team and 3-0 did not flatter you in the slightest. A superb display of intensity. Robinson has recruited well in the summer, to fit a game plan. Go and win the cup bois!

As for us, well, I've been moaning after every game in the last month, and all the complaints came home to roost last night. Simply put, McInnes doesn't have a clue what his best team is, what his best formation is and what style of play we should play. The recruitment in the summer was decent, however, all good players as they may be, no real defining style to them, and it shows now. We are disjointed every week, our midfield is powderpuff and he's chopped and changed wingers so often that all three are now out of form and shot of confidence. As for centre half, the glaring issue of the last two seasons has again not been sorted.

Or perhaps it does, if he would play Arnason. The formation has changed so often recently that even I don't know what we are meant to be doing. Settle a style and formation down then try to pick the personnel to suit it.

I'm not normally one for slagging individuals off but here we go: McLean offers nigh on nothing and is undroppable, thus reducing the effectiveness of Christie, GMS has been nothing short of a disappointment so far and really needs to work harder, Ball looks every inch a Scottish Championship level player, Reynolds is finished as a decent defender and when we need to play Considine, could a wide player who offered him some protection not have been sought?

No excuses for that performance and it has been a month in the coming. The manager got a very healthy increase to his remuneration to stay, now it is time to justify it. He's the man to blame, he has to sort it.

This we all saw it coming and paddypower had Motherwell at 4-1......................... ashamed to say i made a few bob. 

• 1 month later...
You might be getting carried away just a wee bit.
The first was an own goal, with Moult just trying to hook the ball across. The second was obviously a good finish but that came from being in the situation of being 2 up with 5 minutes to play with the opposition pushing forward(ish), and having a what the hell ? type shot.
He looks like the type of player that fits in well with the type of game Motherwell are trying to play. You did good business holding on to him.

Carried away all the way to the final.
Not bad for kick and rush football eh?@Bob Mahelp

What would Aberdeen have given for that to have been them beating Rangers 2-0 at Hampden and progressing to the final yesterday. The fact that the jealousy would have been ripping out of them is yet another reason to smile as wide as the Clyde about the whole thing.

Archived