Motherwell v Aberdeen - League Cup Quarter Final

rambunctious

We should have been battered 5-0 tonight, and but for a goalkeeping masterclass we'd have been similarly pumped at Murrayfield.

It's nowhere near good enough, we're a million miles off it and the fundamentals of the team are so lacking it's frightening.

f**k knows how we play it on Sunday now

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biggest battering dished out since Lee Erwin left town.... (Hiya Rangers!)

What a performance tonight. Back to front we did everything that could be asked and restricted them to a few long range shots while we could have had a couple more too. 

Also it's great to get one over mcinness and docherty as they are one of the most arrogant management teams about! 

Well done Motherwell.

That was as disappointing as it was predictable.

One of those games that you know after the first 10 minutes that we just weren't at it.

Take nothing away from well though, hugely impressive tonight and we couldn't cope.

All the best against the **** lads.

Aberdeen miss Ryan Jack so much. He was the only thing that linked defence and attack together. Mclean and Shinnie look lost without him and our centre backs have nobody to pass to now. People slated his backwards passing but it was those passes that shaped our attack.

We miss that sort of player, but I don't think you need to be a world beater to play there and do the sort of stuff Jack did - Arnason can surely give it a go, or even Ball at a push?

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

It's crazy that the 7-2 game was only last season. Some difference

Only seven months ago!

The differences are there for all to see. Stephen Robinson has built a side and instilled belief and confidence in that side that just hasn't been seen in a Motherwell team since the Butcher days. Under McCall we of course had a fine side but let's face it, they had hearts of mice and last season under McGhee the heads were well and truly down and there was a clear disharmony within the squad. We now have a squad of players who look like they are having the time of their lives out there and tonight was the best yet. We fought for everything, chased every single ball and have rattled a side that can afford to leave players like Rooney & Tansey on the bench, and who's last two Cup defeats have come against the 'Invincible' Celtic team by three goals to nil.

We have a team to be proud of again, a team who fight tooth and nail for everything and it's that will to win which will give us a great chance of reaching a Cup Final and potentially writing themselves into Motherwell folklore.

#Happy Days are here agaaaain#

I am not getting carried away.  WELL ok I am a little.

I missed tonites game but had seen enough evidence in previous games that this team is night and day v last season.  Even in the games we have lost we should and could have had a draw v Gers and were possibly the better team v St J away until Craig Thomson lost the plot. 

Really overjoyed and feel we have enough about us to avoid a relegation battle this season. Don't want to get too carried away. 

Losing Moult will be a blow, but one of life's biggest puzzles is how no other team were prepared to pay more than £400k for a player that had scored 1 in every 2 games for a struggling side battling relegation. Just baffling.  I hope we don't sell him in the next transfer window. Just hold on to him until Summer. Sadly if someone does offer £500k plus add ons we probably need to take that money. Hope not. 

Up at the crack of arse to get a train to Manchester- but don't really care right now. 

A repeat on Sunday would be great - but as I am going unlikely. We shall see.

Just back.

Only thing I want to say is a huge well done to Motherwell and their Support.

An outstanding display and amazing what can happen when you have a game plan and your players know what they are doing.

Very impressed with your team tonight. Good Luck and hope you get to Final at least.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Only thing worse than our performance was that Motherwell card display [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15][emoji24]????[emoji23]

Fair play to the Aberdeen fans on here.

Can't have been easy watching that tonight, but have come on here and taken the defeat on the chin. No sob stories, no excuses. Hats off to you.

2nd place trophy buddies for life!

Confession time......was watching the match in the pub tonight and at half time my Celtic supporting mate says "Gimme a fiver" and he goes into Willie Hills across the road and gets 9/1 on Aberdeen to win the game in normal time. As I was at Easter Road on Saturday to watch Hibs chuck a 2 goal lead and be a bit fortunate to come away with a point against a 'Well side who fought for 94 minutes and never let their heads go down, I should have known better. [emoji33]
Motherwell were very, very good tonight and Moult again put in a tremendous shift.
Hopefully they will feel the temporary love of most of the nation when they play SevcoZombie****2012 and turn them over big time.

The first and third goals man! Moult has got us two goals out of absolutely nothing and the majority of strikers, certainly at our level, wouldn't even think about doing what he did in those positions. His run and finish for the third to seal the game was utterly sublime, he's left Aberdeen's backline completely flat footed and finished beautifully from a difficult angle. Again, a number of players in that position would have tried to hold the ball up and wait for support.

Archived