The 42 Challenge

LoonsYouthTeam

I see now why you've chosen FM09, it's mega easy! :P

You should have stuck with FM17 but played it on the Classic (Touch) mode. Would still have zipped through the seasons, but it would been more of a challenge. Good effort in creating the thread, but I do get a bit bored when an FM story creator simply wins nearly every game. No offence. 

I see now why you've chosen FM09, it's mega easy! [emoji14]
You should have stuck with FM17 but played it on the Classic (Touch) mode. Would still have zipped through the seasons, but it would been more of a challenge. Good effort in creating the thread, but I do get a bit bored when an FM story creator simply wins nearly every game. No offence. 

Ha ha, things going well so far but I'm sure it won't continue that way! Will have harder challenges ahead.

I've never actually used the touch mode, will need to give it a go as even on FM 2009 I'm not zipping through the seasons.

As for winning every game, makes a change from your FM career threads [emoji6]

• 3 weeks later...

3 games to go and  it could barely be tighter; just one goal separate ourselves and Ross County.

P W D L F A PTS GD
1 QOS 33 19 5 9 64 41 62 23+
2 ROSS COUNTY 33 19 5 9 62 40 62 22+

I still think it's in my own hands as I'm confident if I win all 3 games that County won't match me. In saying that I could still win every game 4-0 and not win it. First up for us is a tough trip to Firhill. Partick beat County a couple of weeks ago and have been a thorn in my side before. Ross County travel to Airdrie. How would both teams get on?

Spoiler

FixturePartick.thumb.PNG.e8a750d8e057b30f0fc3293ec27fe4ae.PNG

We left it so, so late! We deserved it but after heavy pressure it looked like it wouldn't be our day until super sub Simpson got in behind to sneak the win. He has done absolutely bugger all during his loan spell so what a time to finally make an impact. How would County get on?

FixtureCountyAirdrie.thumb.PNG.ff2e79b3f3e5a512d645bf2f7c17db62.PNG

Super Simon Lynch! The gap is now 2 points and I have an extra goal for the goal difference. Airdrie have done me a huge favour and now I face them at home.

2 games to go...

Spoiler

So a home game against Airdrie. They may have done me a favour but I'm confident of beating them. Would we do it?

FixtureAirdrie.thumb.PNG.1f6f8cdc940944aeb6fecd2cd4e34785.PNG

No we would not.

We absolutely dominated the first half; hit the woodwork and missed sitters before Craig finally got the opener. A second from Weatherston looked to have sealed it. However, we just did not turn up in the second half. Masterton scored a beauty of a free-kick to put the pressure on but despite it being a bit nervy and us creating little Airdrie weren't looking like scoring either until as stoppage time expired Craig Barr decided to handle the ball under no pressure when attempting to clear in the box. I couldn't believe it and of course the penalty was scored. It's what we get for not being further ahead.

Still, County haven't been in great form, could they capitalise.

FixtureCountyHamilton.thumb.PNG.904591be21c5053afe6db5ff7c3a0d8d.PNG

Couldn't they just. Of course my former team roll over and have their bellies tickled; just to spite me I'm sure. Not only do County win but they overhaul our GD advantage too.

So just 1 game to go. Here's how the table looked:

Spoiler
    P W D L F A PTS GD
1 ROSS COUNTY 35 20 6 9 68 43 66 25+
2 QOS 35 20 6 9 67 44 66 23+

Two goals behind; even a win might not be enough.

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam

So it's all come down to the last game. Who do we play?

FixtureLastGame.PNG.3aa7d66ea55e099dbdc30a8cd2fc29d3.PNG

Of course we do. I did not enjoy being at Hamilton and I've wanted to give them a doing all season but they've frustrated me. On top of that they put up little resistance to Ross County last week to let them takeover at the top and I'm sure they'll be right up for this game as they won't want me to win the title on their patch.

But I also need a favour. Even if I hammer Accies I can still lose the title if County match me, or even if they win by a margin of 1. There's also the chance that we could end up on the exact same goal difference and goals scored; I'm not sure what would happen in that case. They had to go to Raith Rovers, certainly a tough match on paper. Raith had picked up 6 points from me at Starks this season and had been in the title race up until New Year. Come on the lino lickers!

Spoiler

FixtureCountyRaith.thumb.PNG.b7662523966df9abcf98b196edb262f6.PNG

Thank you very much Raith! Current real life Robertson with the first before Thommohawk himself popped up with the crucial second. County have shat the bed can we do it?

Spoiler

FixtureHamilton.thumb.PNG.5b988e79899c57fbb316253d3591dfdf.PNG

CHAMPIONEES! CHAMPIONEES! OLE! OLE! OLE!!!!

Hamilton offered nothing. I was in control from the start and even though I was nervous at 1-0 Kevin Cuthbert decided to chuck a simple cross into his net to seal it. I don't think Hamilton had a single chance. A wee bit of an anti-climax if truth be told but after the roller coaster of a season we had I'll take a routine win to secure it.

So here's how the final table looked:

Spoiler

1stDiv2012.thumb.PNG.a9192eac76725a6454987dd88d638444.PNG

YAS!

As you can see, Hamilton got relegated in the playoffs. Pleasingly, Montrose bounced back and won the Second Division. Do I have a final message for Ross County and Hamilton fans?

5a0b770cc64ae_UpYe.jpg.cf7b12a8b6c271b2d4dbfbbb96aa71d0.jpg

• 3 years later...

Over 3 years since this thread was updated but I'm going to update it again. Had a few things going on in life so lost track of this and then my old laptop died. Fortunately I was able to save the save game file and was able to upload it to my new laptop.

I've played a lot of seasons since my last update so will run through what I've done first, unfortunately I won't be able to show how the league tables looked at the time as I have lost a lot of screenshots I had, but hopefully that shouldn't be too big an issue and I will update more live tables once I catch up with myself in about 12 seasons time.

Now where were we?

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam

So as we left it Queen of the South had succeeded in a ding-dong battle with Ross County to win the First Division, here's the Best XI for the season:

901198884_QOSBestXI11-12.thumb.PNG.96fcac3ded550bc1ef67411ebf336abf.PNG

Good to have 4 players in double figures for goals, we weren't solid at the back so needed the goals. Liam Craig was consistently great and Ryan McStay has cemented his place as one of my favourite midfielders due to his ability to fire in long range screamers. Dorrans the star and he got important goals too, although ably assisted by Barrett and Stewart Kean.

I've decided to stay at Queens. I've played 4 seasons and won 4 promotions, only 1 of which was unexpected, and so I'd like the challenge to try and keep Queens in the SPL as they were immediately relegated when they were previously in the top flight in this game.

A few players are getting on a bit, and I will need to upgrade the keeper and defence for the SPL, but hopeful some of my fire power can make the step up. I don't have much in the way of funds so will need a bit of wheelin' and dealin'.

The preparation for the SPL begins with our transfers out:

861991091_QOSTransfersOut12-13.PNG.c261a73526e4e59a7a9da58e996e8260.PNG

Nearly all of the free transfers were terrible regen youths or back-ups who were already at the club when I joined. The two exceptions were Stewart Kean, he did pretty well last year but he's just not good enough for the SPL. Unfortunately Dougie Imrie wouldn't sign a new deal and signed for Hearts on a Bosman. A bit gutted as he was good and could play on the wing or up front; plus it's also good to have a dirty b*****d who brings out the seethe of the opposition.

For the cash deals, I'll admit, I don't remember Steven Watt, assuming 10k is decent for somebody so unmemorable. Rutkiewicz and Lyle didn't play much last season and were still under contract, they wouldn't have played so happy to get a little bit of money for them and get them off the wage bill. Finally 220k for Fotheringham is incredible; Huddersfield are mugs. He was my 3rd choice centre mid last year, and although  very good he can barely move and that won't cut it in the higher league. We're low on funds so that deal gives us a lot more leeway and allowed me to make the following business:

1701766305_QOSTransfersIn12-13.PNG.f665cb0939655dde7ede7e7ea5328873.PNG

As you can see, not a penny spent, the entirety of the Fotheringham fee put into the wage budget. I can't give pen pics of each signing due to how long I played this but here's a brief overview:

Kenny Miller -  I need a goalscorer and who better than Thriller Miller? He's old but still has decent stats and will run about daft all day.

Stephen Caldwell - Worse than Gary, and also ginger, but he comes with SPL experience and is pretty solid all round, can also cover at right back

Andrea Mutumbo - Scottish football fans may recall his real life stint with Caley Thistle. He's a Belgian AMR/C who I intend to use on the right wing. He's good technically and doesn't really have any glaring deficiencies, although he's not outstanding in any particular area either.

Mark Brown - I needed a number 1 and he's a good SPL level keeper, very happy to have him.

Gareth Williams - One of the classic Berti Vogts Scotland caps, he's a central midfielder who should be good in the SPL.

Jermaine Beckford - Expecting big things from Beckford. He's lightning quick and a lethal finisher, has a lot of areas he's poorer in but his sheer pace and ability to slot home chances should see him make an impact. In a previous game I had on FM 2009 he was at Falkirk for years and consistently bagged 20+ goals a season (most of them against me).

Sean Murdoch - Howlin' Mad Murdoch will be back up to Brown in goals. Is good enough for SPL himself so happy to not have to worry if Brown gets injured/suspended.

Andrew Barrowman - The classic Scottish big huddy centre forward who's good in the air in strong. I'll quite happily just opt for the punt to the big man tactic if need be. To be fair to him, he is a decent all round player.

James Chester - The real life Welsh International and lower Premier / Upper Championship in England cente half. He's not as good in this game but should still be my best centre back.

Michael Stewart - Released by Hearts and I have saved many Sportscene/Sportsound viewers/listeners from his ramblings by offering him a place in my midfield. He's a bit old but still a good all round player.

Brian McLean - Will partner Chester at centre back, very good in the air and not a donkey on the ball.

Carl Fletcher - A classic hatchet man, he'll more likely be back up but a very solid presence in the middle of the park.

Ruben Palazuelos - Another released by Hearts, probably the best technical midfielder I've signed and can also play left mid.

Also just included my January signing as I had little to spend and neither were major. Mike Clark is a right back on loan from my parent club Arsenal and Mark McNally is a left winger. Both are back up, but can also fit the required 3 under-21s in the squad criteria.

As you can see, I've made a lot of signings, the majority experienced players. Happy with the amount of SPL experience I've brought in, despite many being passed their peak. Lots of midfield options now as I think I may need a 5 in the middle. Believe I've got the ability to stay up, COME ON YOU QUEENS!

August:

1456097916_QOSAugust.PNG.d2afdb18abe3867347a6ec5e15b421c1.PNG

Delighted with that start. Fantastic to win the opening game, especially against an expected Top 6 side. A good away point and then an absolute thumping of Killie. Would have bitten your hand off for 7 points from 9 to start the season.

Unleashed Kenny Miller on the Loons. My priority is the league but I'll take the cups seriously.

September:

1057415889_QOSSeptember.PNG.d1b69f9545617b9955b0cc10e78be3d6.PNG

Not many goals but I think that's OK. Expecting to lose a fair number of away games so going down to Utd isn't too big a concern, disappointed with being thumped by Hibs though, don't want too many more of those. Delighted to get a point from Rangers and if I had to pick one I'd rather league points than cup progress so not the end of the world to go out of the League Cup. End with a great win over a team I'd expect to be a fellow struggler. Also very happy to have 4 clean sheets from my first 7 SPL games, if we can maintain that we'll stay up.

October:

1494123539_QOSOctober.PNG.553134db4763ba07b3e6f06bf0c8363f.PNG

Hmm, maybe this SPL lark isn't as easy as I thought. 3 single goal defeats. Happy to have made a game of it at Pittodrie but feel Paisley is the kind of place we need to be picking up points from, that's now 4 straight away defeats. The month rounded off by out first home defeat, always disappointed to lose any home game but really disappointing to lose to another team I'd expect to be in the relegation mix and not scoring is a concern. Frustrating to lose so narrowly but sure we can bounce back.

I can't upload as was league tables but I've had a quick look at results so far and he's a rough table:

1st: Celtic 27 points
2nd: Rangers 23
3rd: Hibs 18 
4th: Dundee Utd 17
5th: Aberdeen 15
6th: Hearts 12
7th: Dundee 11
7th: Queen of the South 11
7th: St Mirren 11
10th: Motherwell 10
11th: Kilmarnock 9
12th: Inverness Caledonian Thistle 1

Much happier seeing that, don't feel so bad about my thumping from Hibs and many teams seem much of a muchness. Terrible start from Caley, they drew their first game and have lost every game since. Delighted to have that cushion over them as survival is the aim.

November:

1840336434_QOSNovember.PNG.9980e91ca867d738e9178f1068a28983.PNG

Christ on a bike! 7 straight league defeats and the alarm bells are ringing very loudly. Wasn't expecting much from the first two games but not happy to lose at home to a team I'd fancy a result against. Killie are also in the mix at the bottom so to lose there is also damaging. Still not getting thumpings but defeats are defeats and we this a bad habit we've developed.  Caley have now doubled their points total to 2 so still have a big gap, but I'm worried as they can't continue to be so bad surely.

Edited by LoonsYouthTeam

December:

1762617520_QOSDecember.PNG.3ad7c152098c448bf68c45a56bd0c3eb.PNG

Better. Two of my first division stalwarts in McStay and Craig getting goals to see off Utd; decent point at home to Hibs and then delighted with a point at Ibrox. Not a good end to the month though; losing 4 goals anywhere is disappointing, but away to Caley is infuriating given their position. I expected Caley to pick up form but they did more than that, going undefeated in December with 3 wins and 2 draws (at least their first win wasn't against me). This left the table looking like this:

1st: Celtic 47 points
2nd: Rangers 41
3rd: Hibs 36
4th: Hearts 32
5th: Motherwell 31
6th: Dundee Utd 27
7th: Aberdeen 25
8th: Dundee 24
9th: Queen of the South 16
10th: Kilmarnock 14
11th: St Mirren 13
12th: Inverness Caley Thistle 13

It's a clear 4 way battle for relegation. Huge turnaround from Motherwell who have shot up the table. Fortunately for us Killie and St Mirren's form has also been terrible so I'm still 9th, but Caley's resurgence has thrown it wide open. We need an improvement quickly.

January: As noted at the start of the season, there was little transfer activity so I won't bother re-posting. We don't have the funds for reinforcements so will be forced to pish with the cock we've got.

87696860_QOSJanuary.PNG.1a47039c2e995f1c89a883eaadad1847.PNG

Absolutely brilliant, easily my best month of the season. A thumping win over a fellow struggler with Gareth Williams unexpectedly at the double. Through to the next round of the Scottish Cup after a tough draw followed by a draw at Dens which is a decent point. Fantastic to beat one of the Old Firm, and the league leaders no less! Barrowman's first goal since the start of September and what a crucial one. We've also started picking up the clean sheets again, if we can keep this up we'll survive, although I've said that before...

February:

240682384_QOSFeb.PNG.d478b8cae64c0c5d75fd298afb5e6c1d.PNG

We're consistently inconsistent. Struggled past Livi but progress is all that matters in the cup. Frustrating to draw a blank at home to Killie, need to win home game against the strugglers. Good point at Tannadice before another spirited, but ultimately fruitless, performance against Rangers. Getting towards the business end of the season, I'm not interested in what's happening outside my bubble so here's the points totals for the bottom 4:

9th: Queen of the South 26 points
10th: St Mirren 24
11th: Kilmarnock 22
12th: Inverness Caley Thistle 19

All pretty similar form but fortunately for us Caley have started another run of defeats, 7 points although obviously not insurmountable is a good gap to have.

March:

2082310846_QOSMarch.PNG.bf2920e187d705b2731b5011a34c1941.PNG

Poor. Defeat against Hibs not unexpected and very pleasing to give Hamilton a good thumping, odd that all 3 were scored by my centre backs. A good point at Pittodrie with another goal from Liam Craig but so disappointing to only pick up 1 point from the games against Caley and St Mirren, after my excellent January that's now 6 games in the league without a clean sheet and we aren't exactly rattling the goals in either. This left the league looking like this:

9th: Queen of the South 28 points
10th: St Mirren 27
11th=: Kilmarnock 26
11th=: Caley 26

Squeaky bum time!! We really need to find wins as the others have clawed out important results. Killie only won 1 game in the month but they stuck 5 past Celtic in doing so! International break in April so just a few games before the split, we've somehow still clung onto 9th but from now on positions can change weekly.

April:

621266001_QOSApril.PNG.605a4046a1c946e2cfd7e4d05c3ace3b.PNG

shite.jpeg.1b53fc57a6128bfce75c4d6dc9f2c146.jpeg

Not what was needed. Another home defeat to Dundee before a hammering from Celtic. Maybe not a surprise but we've tended to not lose by many when we lose so that tells the story of how our season is going. Given the focus on the league we'd rather snuck into the Scottish Cup semi-final where we played Aberdeen. Although it was a long time ago I played this game I remember this semi for the utterly dreadful performance we put in, we created nothing and lost without a whimper. As much as I've maintained that the league was the priority having a shot at winning the Scottish Cup would be incredible regardless what happens in the league. Oh well. Going into the top 6 the points standings looked like this:

9th: Queen of the South 28
10th: St Mirren 28
11th: Kilmarnock 27
12th: Inverness Caley Thistle 26

Despite not picking up points we somehow still hold onto 9th on goal difference, Caley also picking up no points in the month and the others just 1 point each. It's all to play for going into the bottom 6 where we'll be joined by both Dundee teams, although they'll both be twiddling their thumbs with Utd narrowly missing out on the top 6 and Dundee having formed a league of their own in 8th place.

Bottom 6 fixtures:

1080826687_QOSMay.PNG.86714f9962c1576da9d21ca37cc085f7.PNG

Not happy with a 3rd trip to Tannadice given they're the best team in the bottom 6. 3rd home games of the season against both Dundee and Caley, albeit I've lost both my home games to Dundee. Happy to have Caley at home last day but a bit concerned we start midweek after our cup Semi. How would it go?

Game 34:

Spoiler

693633063_QOSGame34.PNG.927026408f6543f91dd41901f5c34d2b.PNG

Da na na na na na aa na na na naaaa, Andy Barrowman, Barrowman, ANDY BARROWMAN!!! He hasn't scored a league goal since his winner against Celtic but what a time to fire in a deadly double. Elsewhere Caley Thistle beat Dundee Utd 1-0 but St Mirren lost against Dundee.

9th: Queen of the South 31
10th: Inverness Caley Thistle 29
11th: St Mirren 28
12th: Kilmarnock 27

Caley are finally off the bottom, incredible considering their abysmal start. Beating Killie is huge, 4 points ahead of them is massive and we have a much better goal difference too. I think one more win is needed.

Game 35:

Spoiler

1249291543_QOSGame35.PNG.9d051f077f013cc3b8169004c9ca62d6.PNG

Oh Andy Barrowman you beautiful man!! They'd had my number so far this season but thankfully when they had nothing and we had everything to play for we turned up. 6 points form our first 2 bottom 6 games and 3 goals from Sir Andy. The other two fixtures were both draws so the table stood:

9th: Queen of the South 34
10th: Inverness Caley Thistle 30
11th: St Mirren 29
12th: Kilmarnock 28

We're so close, 6 ahead of Killie, but more than 1 win ahead of all 3 is massive. I think we're safe but we still need to make sure.

Game 36:

Spoiler

1932114764_QOSGame36.PNG.810df11248fbb801574ef8cf93e60d6c.PNG

Gahhh!! A win would have secured safety but not losing may have been just as good. That wee hero Ryan McStay knows how to bang them in when needed. Did other results go our way?

Spoiler

Yes they did. Caley and Killie both drew which leaves the situation as this:

9th: Queen of the South 35
10th: Inverness Caley Thistle 31
11th: St Mirren 30
12th: Kilmarnock 29

We're not official, but with a much superior goal difference to Killie we're as good as safe. Only a complete disaster will see us go down from here.

Game 37:

Spoiler

629755460_QOSGame37.PNG.158b1a2fc0f60a341989983a951efeb7.PNG

An absolute goal glut sees us officially safe. Good to see 2 of the old guard score, my only regret is I can't remember how the scoring went and this info is lost in the game. Still, we had a lot of bad moments throughout the season but we've survived!

Caley, St Mirren and Killie all picked up 1 point each so that leaves the league looking like this:

9th: Queen of the South 36
10th: Inverness Caley Thistle 32
11th: St Mirren 31
12th: Kilmarnock 30

With a game to go we've secured 9th place, we've been 9th since about September and when we've been in poor form fortunately the teams below us failed to capitalise. Absolutely delighted to keep us up and it was a genuinely exciting season with it being a battle from December and every point gained being crucial. I may have already had 3 titles and 4 promotions in this safe, but this may be the most satisfying of the lot. 

Game 38:

Spoiler

1285343916_QOSGame38.PNG.7ac2c6b8c751f29fcbff9ea3fc392d5c.PNG

Who cares. I mean, I'd be fuming if it mattered but I am not fussed at all. Altough, both St Mirren and Kille will be raging as Caley are now safe too.

Killie got an excellent point at Dens but it wasn't enough as the Maureens beat an on holiday Dundee Utd to send the Killie pies down.

Final league table:

Spoiler

1997843874_QOSFinaltable.thumb.PNG.df9b4ae32298874d6a20a98adb3ebf86.PNG

Here's our team of the season:

1842833659_QOSBestXI12-13.thumb.PNG.c6ae8d3d5849ac6466d6a4c8039e575a.PNG

Nobody in double figures for goals but every single outfield player starting bar James Gibson with goals and he was one of only 2 players to average 7.00 or above. Liam Craig again was outstanding and Ryan McStay held off competition from a bunch of new signings to continue to be the central midfield star. A couple of signings didn't perform and a couple of players didn't make the step up but we achieved the overall goal of survival.

What to do now? I want to stay on at Queen of the South but don't feel that will be in spirit of the challenge. It's tough when you really like your team but as much as I believe that I could have us as an established SPL team quickly I think it'd be a long term project to make Queens capable of winning a trophy or challenging in the upper echelons of the league. I've improved them, I've kept them up which they hadn't done before an left a solid foundation for them to build on.

In every other game I would've stayed on, but following the last game of the season I handed in my resignation, turning slowly for one last look at the dugout before departing through the tunnel with tears in my eyes as I get into my car and pull out from the manager's car park space at Palmerston Park for the last time